Builds 1966 FJ45LV Capri (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The new H55F is here and we're working on installing it. The trans hump my LV had was already pretty hacked up so I think I'm going to try to find an unmolested one from a column shift truck and try to do a cleaner job of putting in the new holes. I feel dumb asking this but want to be sure - will any early column shift 3sp hump work with the LV floor?
1608320347410.jpeg

1608320335460.jpeg

I’m no expert but I think you’re better off hacking the hacked one that you’ve got if it even fits. My SWB cover doesn’t fit with the 4 speed so I got an FJ40 Cover (taller) that still needs a lot of work to fit. Better than cutting up a good unmolested cover and they are hard to find anyway.

I could be wrong with the LV though, they may fit just fine.

Either way good luck!!!

I’m no expert but I think you’re better off hacking the hacked one that you’ve got if it even fits. My SWB cover doesn’t fit with the 4 speed so I got an FJ40 Cover (taller) that still needs a lot of work to fit. Better than cutting up a good unmolested cover and they are hard to find anyway.

I could be wrong with the LV though, they may fit just fine.

Either way good luck!!!
Well my hump was hacked for a 4sp already but done very poorly. The way it lines up it will just get worse with the 5sp. So I’m better off using a new clean hump if I can find one. Won’t be a lot left of the existing one if I cut it up further.

I’m interested to hear what folks think will fit. I couldn’t even find a hacked SWB hump to raise up. The 4 speed hump I got through the classifieds here is tall enough but the rear floor holes don’t line up at all. I could probably measure my hump vs the LV here at my place if you think it would help.

Someone already knows all this....

My mind says our LV trans humps unique to the LV. They are not like anything I have seen in others. If the frame and perimeter is usable, even if rusted, I would start there. Any good fabricator shouldn’t have a problem making it like new and fit.

Nathan, I needed to alter my tranny hump for the 4 speed and covered up the old hole by making aluminum plates. Maybe you could do something like this?

attachments-2.jpg
attachments-1.jpg

I’m coming to the same conclusion most of you are. Unless I can find an unmolested early hump on the cheap I’m probably better off just repairing/modifying the one I have. Part of me is curious how swappable these mid 60s ones are though. I’ll be driving by a “cruiser yard” in Manana AZ early next week while I take my kids down to camp at Patagonia lake, so I might see what he’s got for early trans humps though.

H55 AND and new split case....so nice! Santa was good to you.

Now the not so good news. You will probably have to do some cutting to the passenger front floor as well to get the TC linkage to clear the floor. Take a look at @c2dfj45 LV build to see his "minimally invasive" approach to the modification of the floor and the tunnel (Link below). I think you will have to do the same thing...elongate the passenger floor hump rearward a few inches. I did something similar on my LV floor. Look at the bright side, compared to project Lara this metal work should be easy.

45PU has a Friend - tunnel mod

Curious how much difference there may be between 4 speed hump and what needed for the h55?
I’m naive to what was exactly done on mine with its 4 speed but understand then H55 sits higher?

Nathan after our discussion I obtained a rebuilt 2f from a 60 series with hopes of doing the sniper install. After that I’m considering the H55f so appreciate the documentation!

Last edited:
H55 AND and new split case....so nice! Santa was good to you.

Now the not so good news. You will probably have to do some cutting to the passenger front floor as well to get the TC linkage to clear the floor. Take a look at @c2dfj45 LV build to see his "minimally invasive" approach to the modification of the floor and the tunnel (Link below). I think you will have to do the same thing...elongate the passenger floor hump rearward a few inches. I did something similar on my LV floor. Look at the bright side, compared to project Lara this metal work should be easy.

45PU has a Friend - tunnel mod

I completely forgot how much work the floor of that LV required.

I completely forgot how much work the floor of that LV required.
This is a great read! That LV turned out really nice. I expect we will have to do some of the same modifications as well - but mine already had a 4sp in it the PO had installed and the floor was already modified slightly. They just didn’t do a very clean job of it. That 4sp is in need of a complete rebuild, that’s why I decided to just bite the bullet and upgrade it to the 5sp rather than sink money into the 4sp rebuild.

This is a great read! That LV turned out really nice. I expect we will have to do some of the same modifications as well - but mine already had a 4sp in it the PO had installed and the floor was already modified slightly. They just didn’t do a very clean job of it. That 4sp is in need of a complete rebuild, that’s why I decided to just bite the bullet and upgrade it to the 5sp rather than sink money into the 4sp rebuild.
Are thinking the presence of a 4 speed will help minimize modifications for the 5speed? (please say yes)

I was going to do a 5 speed in the LV but the way I use it, a 4 is just fine. I'm thinking you'll have some work to do....I think that 55 is a big bigger than the 4. Longer and taller I think.

LV humps are specific to LV I would fab up a sheet metal riser for the 5 speed . I’m not sure what benefits you want from the 5 speed you don’t really want to go more than about 65mph in theses rigs.

I was going to do a 5 speed in the LV but the way I use it, a 4 is just fine. I'm thinking you'll have some work to do....I think that 55 is a big bigger than the 4. Longer and taller I think.
Agree, the 4sp would be sufficient for my needs but mine is toast. if my 4sp was in good shape I wouldn’t be bothering with the 5sp. I have to spend $$ one way or another, have had two 55Fs before and loved them so that’s the way I decided to go. 1st gear in the H55F will help the F135 get this heavy LV going a little better.

If the hump needs some major surgery, I can have the guy working on the FJ28 body do some mods to it if needed. Fab work is definitely not something I have a talent for.

With the 3FE, the 4 speed really works well.....and the 3.73s help too. The FJ28 guy will have no problem modding that tunnel...he might enjoy something easy for a change :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom