1966 FJ45 LWB rolling blitz restoration (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Very nice. What did you use for the rubber between the filler and gas tank?

I used an eary 4-runner hose. I think it came off an IFS 4-runner...maybe 1987? It fit "okay". I found that the gas pump doesn't like it very much because it distorted a little when I forced the connection together. It causes a splash inside that kicks the fuel station pump off.....so you have to go crazy slow. Still, it's better than what I had before, which was killer fumes in the cab.

Phenominal job there McCoin! You prolly tripled, or possibly quadrupled your initial investment :cool:

Let's find out. What are you willing to spend for it? I'll sell it.....sure don't have to. I took it to a car show two weekends ago. LOTS of interest in the truck, but I'm not advertising it for sale. Reasonable offers will be entertained, but by "reasonable" I don't think anything less than Porsche Cayman S territory makes sense. It's damn nice...and I like driving it, I just don't drive it enough to justify keeping it forever.

Let's find out. What are you willing to spend for it? I'll sell it.....sure don't have to. I took it to a car show two weekends ago. LOTS of interest in the truck, but I'm not advertising it for sale. Reasonable offers will be entertained, but by "reasonable" I don't think anything less than Porsche Cayman S territory makes sense. It's damn nice...and I like driving it, I just don't drive it enough to justify keeping it forever.

Barry are you saying the truck is worthy of a Porsche Cayman S trade?

Not a new one, no. Why, you have a Cayman in your garage I don't know about? ;)

Love the truck. It is beautiful. When you get the camera to take pictures. Find a good location for full pictures, Like a big barn or grassy field or wooded area. A backdrop with nothing busy in the background works great. That way the truck is the full focus. Getting a great picture of it will last your lifetime of memories (especially if you sell it). So do some thinking about a backdrop for your picture.
Lighting and time of day will make a difference. Good Luck. Will keep watching for the photo shoot.

new camera

Still getting used to the new camera. White is particularly hard to shoot in full sun light. In fact, nearly all of these are overexposed. Oh well. Let's see if I can get the linky to work this time.

IMG_0169.JPG

IMG_0180.jpg

IMG_0186.jpg

IMG_0197.jpg

IMG_0205.jpg

IMG_0206.jpg

Last edited:
what it is worth...
take your total cost for donor truck and all the parts.
add
total hours invested X $60 - $100 / hr

that is your investment.
if you do not want to sell then ask full price, if someone buys then you recoup your investment, if no one buys then either re-evaluate whether you want to sell or not.

cheers
<friggin sweet rig>

Thanks Wayne, but it's not actually listed for sale anywhere anyway. I'm really enjoying driving it at the moment, and I'm sure I would miss it even if I did get my "total investment" from someone who couldn't stand to be without it. Heck, I don't even know how many hours I have in it right now. It's a lot.....that I'm sure of. Probably in the $60k range all in. I know it took me a solid 6 months to build it and I was unemployed most of that time, so I actually hit it a good number of hours a week.

I had it out for about an hour or so today and got no less than five people stopping me to talk. The best part was tormenting the Toyota dealers by asking them if they were still taking cash for clunker trades on new Tundras. Heh.....I'm evil.

well, 6 months X 4 weeks X 5 days X 5 hrs a day = 600 hours so anywhere from $36K to $60K just in hours alone.
then add the materials, parts, donor rig and i will bet you have close to $35K there so you are sitting on an investment of $70K to $100K.

now you have an idea of what kind of money it takes to do a true refurbishing, a true restoration and you can double that amount.

as far as i am concerned that rig is priceless... but that is just me.

:eek::eek: This is god
those front hubs look the same as what we have in aus on patrols
are those vents in the fenders orig mate?

Last edited:
It's pretty "original", and definitely original in terms of the body. The seat covers were shot, the floor mats were missing (if there ever were any) etc. Wayne is correct in calling this a resofication and not a restoration. It is not a restoration because it has aftermarket bug vent seals, stainless hardware, aftermarket seat covers that are black instead of brown, my clear turn signal lenses were replaced with amber, and my silver paint isn't a perfect match to the original silver color......uhm....few other little things that were just unobtainium too. I need to find a set of original front hub caps with the centers cut out. I have another set, but don't want to cut the centers out of them. In some ways, I'm tempted to take the locking hubs off and put the moon caps on the front as it would have been from the factory.

ummm try Dan at 4wheel 866-468-2570, i got a complete set of new off him last year.

nothing wrong with a refurbishing, in some cases i like them better than a restoration. it is when someone calls a refurbishing a restoration that can get under my skin. a restoration has every spot well in the exact same spot as original, every part is factory and that is where the HUGE money comes in. there is the time you have to pay to find the exact part you are looking for. the time involved in making sure everything is done right and matches factory.

i think your build is BEAUTIFUL and congratulate you for such a premium ride.

Wow...your rig looks fantastic!!!

I tried to read your tags on the firewall, just wanted to see the manufactured date, cause it looks like it was made in mid '65.

Oh, and I would go with moons up front as well. I found some drive flanges for my '64, and I'll be removing the lock outs some time in the not so distant future.

Any video clips of it driving around?

Very nice job :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

My old man has a set of hub caps with the front center has holes for hubs they are off one of his many early 40 series . wonder what there worth in Aus ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom