1966 FJ45 LWB rolling blitz restoration (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The truck is looking great Barry!!! drop me a PM if you need an extra hand w/ the finishing touches. Cant wait to see it.

Barry

Looks sweet! Makes me want to get mine back! Who's the guy in the yellow hat with the clueless look?

Barry

Looks sweet! Makes me want to get mine back! Who's the guy in the black hat with the clueless look?

Bringin this back from PAGE 3. Any new updates on this :smokin: rig? No slackin McCoin :flipoff2:

Cleaning

Progress has been pretty slow since I decided to do a TLC job and not a half azz job. That, and I took October off to play in the leaves. I only get about 45 mins a night to work on this, so only about one part per day if that. It take a tremendous amount of time to clean and paint the little parts as you can imagine. So far though, it looks great and I'm motoring right along. If I can find the dang shifter bolt, I should be able to mount up the fenders pretty soon. I just didn't want to scratch them leaning over them and working. :)
bumpers.jpg
clamps.jpg
cluster.jpg

more parts

more pics
The valve cover is not to my standards yet. It will be removed, blasted, and probably powder coated along with the air cleaner when I get to it. More pressing items first though.....
fj45resto 032.jpg
glove.jpg
motor.jpg

Details and more details

My camers takes horrible pics at night, so I will need to get it out into the sun for any real detail shots. In person, it's spankin.
overheadlight.jpg
pedals.jpg
transfershift.jpg

Last for tonight

Not much left to show....there's a lot of little details happening, but mostly just polishing. Most of the parts retain the factory finish, but under 40 years of grime. The e-brake is a prime example of that. You can literally scrape crap off with your fingernail, then polish it and it looks like new. About the only thing that has not polished up is the inside of the ashtray. Everything else, pretty much blingo.

I have not done anything to the steering wheel though. If I can't find one without cracks, I will fill the splits in this one and paint it. That's an easy project for later though. It's getting colder here and my paint time is limited.
vin.jpg
wheel.jpg

And just like that, the blitz is back on. I just got my job layoff today. Nice. Well, I can't say it's that much of a surprise. Anyone hiring in Denver? :)

Man there are a lot of mudders gettin the layoff notice in the US.:frown: I haven't heard much around here......yet. Sorry to hear about yours. If it's any consolation, all my layoffs have led to greener pastures in the long run. Here's to hoping that is whats in your future :beer:

overheadlight.jpg

Ok, I figured out how to post your picture of the interior light. Your truck is looking great. I wish I could get my truck to that point. Sorry to hear about your job. I have been slow for so long I can't remember the good times anymore but semi-retirement is good except for the lack of funds for my projects. Anyway, did you buy the interior light or did you have one? I have been looking for one for quite some time and they seem to be hard items to find. If you have any leads please let me know.

Keep up the fine work and keep posting those pictures.

Cheers,

Jim
overheadlight.jpg

The light is factory and it was already there. Sorry, wish I had a stash of them because I could use them in the 40.
No pics to update....when I lost the job, I lost the digital camera too. I have a phone camera, but it's worse than the one I was using.
The doors are pretty much back together and are mounted. I need to spray the gray parts and put the bug catchers back in.
New weatherstripping on the doors is SWEET. I have never owned a cruiser with doors that shut like this. I spent a few hours aligning the hinges and strikes correctly, and it really does make a difference.

Anyway, the radiator is done and back in and I should have the fenders back on soon. Battery tray is back in. Fan is back on. Welded the splash gaurd back up that goes under the radiator......I know....useless without pics. Frick....let me go get the phone.

Left to do:
Seat frames
Gas tank
Heater
Headlights
Tail lights
Head light switch
Steering wheel
Turn signal switch
Bug catchers
Interior door handles
Set the glass
Hydraulics

Last edited:
pics

here's a few. My parents were up over Thanksgiving and helped me get the weatherstripping on and the doors and hood mounted.
turkeyday08 006 (2).jpg
december 015 (2).jpg
december 018 (2).jpg

under the hood

Here's a few from the front end. Hood is on, latches, emblem...can't decide on the bumpers. Specter sent me the wrong one's. Mine were flat and the new ones have humps in them. Dunno....

I really thought the battery tray was done for, but it cleaned up pretty well. The inside of it is pitted heavily, but structurally it's okay. Amazing.

And the radiator is heavy as lead....much heavier than my 40. I don't know exactly what's different about it, but I bet there is 15 pounds worth of difference.
december 017 (2).jpg
december 019 (2).jpg
december 020 (2).jpg

Oh...and I have to give props to my dad for fishing the wiring harness for the wipers up through the windshield frame. I knew he was the right man for the job and it took him well over an hour. I already had the pull string in place, but he had to use the dental picks to fish the spade connectors through one at a time. Painful.

fender bling

Fenders are on, as are the new emblems and turn signals. :grinpimp:
fj45fenders 001.jpg
fj45fenders 002.jpg
fj45fenders 003.jpg

god, that is beautiful. i gotta get me one a those.;)

very clean; props to you man.

Instant crowd

What's the quickest way to draw a crowd? Pull up to the gas station in your freshly restored 45! Holy cow....I have never gotten so much attention. I could be driving around with a supermodel in the passenger seat and I don't think anyone would notice her.

Not quite done, but I'm dragging my butt on the last few items. It drives like a new truck....absolutely the biggest grin machine I have ever had. Still need to pop the bug catchers back in and put the winch on the bumper, that's about it.
45parts 012.jpg
45parts 010.jpg
45parts 011.jpg

I should be buying a digital camera in the next month or so. I will take some detailed shots of it and post those up. I have just been so busy with other projects, this has really slowed to a crawl. Driving it today has motivated me to finish the last little parts. Other than needing a spare tire carrier underneath, I think I should be able to call it "done" by Tuesday or so next week. There are things that are not up to snuff yet, but I will have to rework those when I get time/money to do so.....like the seatbelts. With enough searching I could probably find some better ones than what I have. I like the red and all, but they are pretty rough.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom