1966 FJ45 Heater Core - Replacement Needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
One of the first things we noticed when some fellow ONSC members and I got my 1966 FJ45 LV running was that the water pump needed to be replaced.

Fast forward a few months and after having replaced the water pump and heater lines and installing a refreshed radiator, when I restarted the truck the heater core began leaking coolant onto the floor. While I had flushed the heater core with a garden hose I had not had the foresight to take it along with the radiator to be checked out.

I found the fact that it was leaking to be strange as it had not leaked previously and can only guess that the new water pump caused it to spring a leak.

For repairs, I took the heater core to the same radiator shop that cleaned and pressure tested my radiator. Today I got the call that the heater core had too many leaks and they couldn't repair it.

I searched the 40 tech section (including the FAQ) and the 45 Owners Club page and found a few threads where forum members said that they thought a newer heater core would fit with some minor modifications but no model years were specified. Can anyone recommend one with confidence and point me to vendor that can provide it?

Below are pictures of the heater and heater core for reference. I'll update the thread with the dimensions of the heater core once I get them from the radiator shop.
IMG_2718[1].JPG
IMG_2721[1].JPG
IMG_2751[1].JPG

Still sold new at auto parts stores. I don't remember the correct numbers but search this site for heater core replacement.

Why couldn't they re-core it?

Still sold new at auto parts stores. I don't remember the correct numbers but search this site for heater core replacement.

After an extensive search, I determined no one sells heater cores that are an exact match for my year of cruiser. While the length and width of heater cores from newer cruisers are the same, the depth is at least 1/2" less than what I have. Also, the heater core from my cruiser has two mounting brackets on each end that hold it in place inside the heater box. The heater cores from newer model cruiser lack these mounting brackets and would either have to be sandwiched into place or the mounting brackets would need to be cut off my heater core and soldered onto the replacement. The cost of a heater core for a newer cruiser is around $60.

Why couldn't they re-core it?
Apparently, the materials needed to re-core it can be ordered and aren't readily stocked. While the shop I first tried didn't offer to re-core it, I found a different shop near my work that said they could. Unfortunately, they estimated it would cost $250. That's more than I am willing to spend.

Thankfully, I have leads on a couple reasonably priced heater cores from guys here on mud that should be an exact match to mine and both are believed to be in good working order. I'm planning to buy one of them after Christmas.

If the depth is only. 5 inches less than yours why not use some extra foam to seal it up. Seems like a cheaper/more realiable alternative

If the depth is only. 5 inches less than yours why not use some extra foam to seal it up. Seems like a cheaper/more realiable alternative

Just my personal preference, I guess. I'd rather get an exact match to mine (size and mounting brackets) than wedge the smaller one in place with foam.

yup. I'd say mine (1971) was too tight with the new foam. I had a hell of a time buttoning it all up.

I've never seen the inside of your year model heater. There are mounting brackets inside the heater for the core?

Here is a photo that shows two of the holes in the heater box, between the slots for the tubes, for the bolts that fit into the mounting brackets on the heater core (the one on the left is horizontal while the one on the right is vertical). I hope this helps.
image.jpg

If anyone has or knows what to replace with, it's Mark A of Mark's Off Road. He might even have a good used one.

818-953-9320
www.marksoffroad.net --- (click on FJ45 pic to enter site).

awesome! yeah I can confirm that the new cores don't look like that... not as thick either

i retract my earlier comment... i would probably try to source a good used one or get it rebuilt also

thought i'd post my heater install...i had the same trouble with trying to use my original, but i found 3rd party heaters front and back that did the trick form princess auto (canada). front heater throws tons of heat and has 3 stage fan which i plan on wiring into the existing switch. the rear heater has a built-in quiet fan as well. with the soft top, i really enjoy having much more heat than the stock heater gave me. i doctored the duct work a little and get lots of air up to the front and side defrosters and never had trouble with things fogging up.
front_heater.jpg
middle_heater.jpg
side_heater.jpg

i should mention one option i thought of, but didn't go through with was the more purest approach of taking the core out of the new unit and popping it into the old heater box...the core was just a little thicker, but i probably could have stuffed it in there...but that new box seemed to fit in there too nicely. thanks for the box heaters link, @JohnnyC , it's cool to see the old school setups:cheers:

I used a '77 FJ40 core in a '65 FJ45 heater box. I simply cut pieces of foam to hold the newer (and slightly smaller) heater core in place. Don't overthink this! I cleaned the '77 heater core with Muriatic acid before installation and had a nice, hot heater when finished.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom