1966 FJ40 Project Pinchfist aka Atoyot, a backwards diesel build. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Like most of my projects, this one starts out backwards: I saw an ad for a Willys truck project on Craigslist while pretending to watch a romantic comedy with the wife. I didn't really want a Willys truck, but the owner had been assembling the parts for a OM617 conversion for several years, and then lost interest. I emailed him and mentioned that, if by chance someone only wanted the truck, which was rust-free and straight, I'd make an offer for the OM617, adapter to a Toyota W56 5-speed, as well as a pair of solid axles from an 85 truck. A week or to later he contacted me and offered the motor, adapter, tranny and axles for $1500. The next day I took a road trip down the northern California and returned with a trailer full of stuff. I was stoked-the wife was somewhat less enthusiastic. I made it up to her by watching a romantic comedy.

Now, don't get me wrong. I don't have anything against Willys (as you will see). I love all old 4x4s, and Willys are a piece of history, and the trucks and wagons are (ready for flamage), imho, the best looking classic 4x4s out there. On the other hand, their mechanics and parts were really, really bad, and because the frames, steering and axles were so bad, they are difficult to convert into something that can be driven in modern road conditions. So I wasn't looking for a Willys truck, unless it was one of those ridiculously rare 4-door wagons or something like that.

So, equipped with an "Acme turbo-diesel 4x4 kit," I set off looking for a body to install the OM617 in.

My first choice was a Land Cruiser as my first car was a 68 FJ40 (the red one in the pics). We drove that tired old thing everywhere. Half of the electrical stuff didn't work. The valves ticked loud no matter how much you adjusted them, and you had to pump the brakes 4-5 times to get anything resembling a firm pedal. But, it was a blast to drive and went anywhere. we took it down to the beach and Sierra Madre of Mexico, the Gila Wilderness in New Mexico, all over Arizona and several times to Moab (The picture is on Pritchett canyon trail in the 1980s-back when you could run that trail with open difs and 31" tires). During college, I couldn't afford to insure or maintain it and eventually sold it. I've regretted it ever since!

So fast forward 25 years. After scanning Craigslist for a month, I was about to rule FJ25s, FJ40s and FJ45s out. Everytime I saw one at an affordable price, it would disappear from listings quickly. It became evident that "flippers" were buying anything worthwhile as soon as they were listed, and then reselling them for $$$..... damn those flippers!

So I looked at other options. I looked at a 1967 Toyota Stout that would have made an awesome retro-wheeler with the drivetrain I had, but it didn't have a title and, although really cool, Stouts have zero parts support and zero market should I ever need to sell it. I had to pass on the Toyota Stout.

Plan C was to convert a Toyota Chinook camper to a turbodiesel 4x4. I believe it has been done, but the engine compartment and cab were really small. Had to pass.

Plan D was (gasp!) a Scout 80. After loosing my FJ40, I bought a 1961 Scout and built it into a capable and affordable rig. They certainly weren't as well engineered or built as a Land Cruiser, but they can be picked up dirt cheap, have great frames and steering (unlike Willys/Jeep products) and the 100" wheelbase gave ample room for drivetrain swaps and for stowing camping gear.

As I was getting frustrated, I emailed one of IH8muds members, Kief, to see if I could measure one of his FJ40s to see if the drivetrain would fit, and also to see if he would sell one of his projects or knew of any deals. Best call I made! Kief not only would let me take measurements on a 1966 he had, he'd let me take the truck at a very fair price! It was almost serendipitous: The 1966 hardtop was basically just a shell with a title, but it was solid and hadn't been butchered or abused (this is the white one on the tow dolly in the pics).

So, with a special thanks to Kief, I got her home and scrubbed a few years worth of mildew and mold from her-it has been very wet here in Oregon and there were some "interesting" things growing on and in her...(last pic)

Apologies for the long intro-in the future more pics and less talk!

IMG_0971[1].JPG

IMG_1005.jpg

IMG_0981[1].JPG

@Kief

That is a 65' sold in 66' :)

The corrugated top... center vent windshield ... long running boards all point to e-mid 65'

Does it have the toyota emblem and 4wd emblems on the rear?

Great looking rig!

You can get the correct rubber matting for those running boards btw ... lots of early cruiser info in the 25 section

Good to know. I've always liked the corrugated top and the center vent.

Didn't do much to the truck other than scrub the mold and mildew, grease the fittings and shot a spray of WD40 on all of the exposed bolts. Unlike my 1968, which looked pretty good but was actually fairly rough (and had copious amounts of bondo), the 66 is a little more solid, straight and original than I first thought :)

IMG_0976[1].JPG

IMG_0975[1].JPG

IMG_0990[1].JPG

IMG_0995[1].JPG

The top, on the other hand, is pretty rough and will be difficult to save.:frown:

Floorboards are solid, no extra holes in dash or floors. :)

Missing some parts, gas tank, glove box door, passenger seat...

View attachment 1404865

IMG_0984[1].JPG

IMG_0982[1].JPG

IMG_0994[1].JPG

I know when I read other people's threads the question I ask is "what direction is this going?" I'm not a purist or foamer*, but I do cringe when someone takes an intact vintage survivor and butchers it into a "Pirate 4x4 extreme build bro!"

So, just to be clear, this build isn't going that direction.

My original plan was to keep the appearance stock, including wheels, ride height, original paint etc.

But the funky widened steel rims are kind of growing on me-and have me considering the possibility of doing a 60's- themed retro wheeler. Not over-the top with excessive kitsch, but subtle. Just basically keep the appearance similar to what it is now but sand blast and repaint the funky 1960s vintage widened wheels, find some equally vintage (looking) white-walled "Desert Dawg" or "Norseman" tires, throw on a vintage winch, and roll with it. Thoughts?

* If you are still wondering what a "foamer" is, click on this link: (and yes, there are Land Cruiser foamers too)

IMG_0976[1].JPG

Didn't get much done over weekend, but did install a mid 1970s Corvette master cylinder in anticipation of disc brakes :)

IMG_1008[1].JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom