1966 fj40 pre smog title and tag for sale (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

sledge916

Media Partner
Threads
Website
www.adventuredriven.com
Hello Mudders

I have a 1966 fj40 pre smog ,clear title and vin tag, the under hood one , off a 1966 fj40, kept it around so I could get my 40 passed if they ever sniff tested up here in Flagstaff, I never used it , any way if any one wants it I will let er go for $235.00, no truck, tag and title only.

Sethro

Last edited:
So let me get this straight, you're selling a vin tag and title of a truck? So if I had a later model 40 that didn't pass emission I could swap out this vin tag with it and re-register the other truck under those #'s and not have to go though emmission?

That's very illegal...

Yea, don't wanna screw the government do ya? :flipoff2:

sledge916 said:
I did not say that you did, you do what you want to with it.

cheers
LOL I get it :doh:

Nobody is getting screwed here! You're doing something pretty simple, you have a cruiser and you're swapping out some parts, who knows what year is what anyway..... I mean, I have a 64 with 84 axels and well, no motor but you get what I'm saying I'm sure...

WES1977 said:
Isn't $235 a little step for something you can barely read? You say you've never used it? It's used.

i know of a few titles with vins that have sold for $500. not uncommon for somebody who's trying to avoid smog issues......

As for the frame, that's welded over and left like that or re-stamped all the time. I stamp all my cruisers in a place nobody else would know cause they would be so easy to take. I think $235 is a very vair price to be honest, of course somebody could spend the $1,000 it would take to get their cruiser to pass then deal with going down there each and every year...

here's the way i look at it:

if somebody has a cruiser and it needs to be smogged, why not put an early title on it?! you're not screwing the insurance companies, cause you still have to pay the same amount. you're not screwing the government. you're still paying your registration and all fees associated with it, including the weight fee which stays the same. most people do not drive their cruisers that much, i'd say hardly at all. so the few hydrocarbons and whatnot you're putting out should'nt be that big a deal. i also think that most people keep their cruisers running well enough so they really do not put out that many bad emissions at all. if the fj was'nt running that well, you could'nt hardly wheel it, right?!
technically, yes, this is not legal. practically, i see no harm in doing it. i'm not advocating that somebody should "break the law" here. i pay my taxes and play by the rules, but on this one i can close an eye.

besides, are'nt we trying to keep as many cruisers on the road as possible?!

Major crime here in Utah that they actively investigate and prosecute...

It has nothing to do with the hydrocarbons, weight fees or tax for that matter. It is the fact that some joe can steal my Cruiser, buy a $200 VIN/Title and give her a new paint job, and have a clean titled stolen rig. It has happened quite a bit in the news...

As for getting around smog, I can undertand that... but in Utah, the chassis is considered the year they go off of, not the tub... so if they cannot find a chassis VIN on the vehicle, they will issue you a new VIN, some guys build buggies and get a VIN for a 2005 rig, all goes by the chassis. I know some states go by the body, so it may be different...

PS, I may be wrong, but I was told it was a felony to remove a VIN tag without a "dismantlers permit", this may be another Utah thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom