1965 FJ45 vent window question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

avicenna110

SILVER Star
Threads
I bought the car with the vent window broken, but the PO had a pair in the box. Since it opens I thought it was the bug catcher style so I bought the weatherstrip after looking up the part number from Toyota. The weatherstrip seems to fit, but the window looks big. Are there different size vent/bug-catcher windows for different years?

Here is the window that I got, the old frame I took out from the door is on top of it, and is smaller

54C8E9B7-BCAB-429D-A928-9B09CB449C1E.jpeg

1E53300B-3985-4A51-8BC8-BCBD41BDB60D.jpeg

591F3BDF-97E1-47D3-9DA9-258D0BBFA768.jpeg

The weatherstrip from CruiserParts
C0D83893-5F5D-4738-9387-B5DF3BA77F35.jpeg

Vent sitting on the door:
6B3DB8E0-29CD-4BFE-A20F-5B511DD013CD.jpeg

The weatherstrip I used
27ACC74A-0453-4545-8542-E7EE69556519.jpeg

Any help appreciated. Thanks

C836CD1D-CE6C-4764-82FA-7F42329BE3AF.jpeg

You bought the center pivot style w/s. Apparently it kinda fits with the bugcatcher glass/frame according to your pic, I've never tried.

We do offer a Bug Catcher W/S Kit that covers both heights:

Bugcatcher weatherstrip no longer available, only aftermarket reproduction. I think @cruiseroutfit has the correct rubber.
I looked up the part number on Toyota for a 69 and found this:

68181-60010

Cruiser part had it so I got it from there. It fits fine it seems but I don’t know since I have the wrong size window vent.

You bought the center pivot style w/s. Apparently it kinda fits with the bugcatcher glass/frame according to your pic, I've never tried.

We do offer a Bu Catcher W/S Kit to cover both heights:
Thank you, I actually saw your old post after I ordered it, otherwise I would have got it from you. I’ll give what I have a shot once I actually figure out what’s going on with the vent window

I looked up the part number on Toyota for a 69 and found this:

68181-60010

Cruiser part had it so I got it from there. It fits fine it seems but I don’t know since I have the wrong size window vent.

Hmmm, it doesn't look like it fits fine or would actually function as a bugcather window to me. We also sell the (incorrect) pivot gasket you used but I wouldn't recommend them on a bugcatcher application as they simply don't work. I suppose if you're just going to have a static window, they may work ok'ish.

Bugcatcher ended in 65, center pivot will never work, the Bugcatcher uses the the weatherstrip as a hinge!

I think my problem right now is identifying the actual bug catcher size I need (and how to source it), I can look for the right weatherstrip once I do that. It sounds like I have the wrong weatherstrip as well🤦‍♂️. From the pictures I saw the vent is supposed to sit inside the opening, and as @whitey45 said one side of the gasket is the pivot. My opening is <16 inches tall, the bug catcher is ~17 inches.

I looked at the 25 section quickly but didn’t find info on the sizes, I’ll look more carefully tonight.

I think my problem right now is identifying the actual bug catcher size I need (and how to source it), I can look for the right weatherstrip once I do that. It sounds like I have the wrong weatherstrip as well🤦‍♂️. From the pictures I saw the vent is supposed to sit inside the opening, and as @whitey45 said one side of the gasket is the pivot. My opening is <16 inches tall, the bug catcher is ~17 inches.

I looked at the 25 section quickly but didn’t find info on the sizes, I’ll look more carefully tonight.

Check out the link I posted earlier. Our kit covers both bugcatcher heights found on 1958-1966 doors. We've got exactly what you need.

Check out the link I posted earlier. Our kit covers both bugcatcher heights found on 1958-1966 doors. We've got exactly what you need.
Thanks Kurt, will order a kit. I see that you have a lot of happy customers 😊 thank you for making these parts for the community!

Since your kit comes in a roll, and my existing one is already in place, do you think I can use your kit to just replace the pivoting section in the back of the bug catcher? Saves me from doing the corners 😊

Thanks Kurt, will order a kit. I see that you have a lot of happy customers 😊 thank you for making these parts for the community!

Since your kit comes in a roll, and my existing one is already in place, do you think I can use your kit to just replace the pivoting section in the back of the bug catcher? Saves me from doing the corners 😊

You totally could but the top, front and bottom material is quite different too and you may find it much easier to just do it all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom