1965 FJ45 Steering Box do I need to change any seals or gaskets (see pictures) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wadesters

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.cwcruisers.com
1965 FJ45 is getting a full restoration. I have not had a steering box apart before and don't really want to dismantle this one. At time of purchase it did not leak (fluid shown around it was when I tipped it). Vehicle is not supposed to have very many original miles. Are there any seals I should replace while it is out? Since I leaked fluid out what fluid goes back in and how much?

Thank you..

IMG_2635.jpeg

IMG_2636.jpeg

IMG_2637.jpeg

Could be wrong but think the 3/69-9/72 FJ40 will be very similar as the 65 FJ45. 9/67 the pedestal changed. Design did not.

It used to be when I purchased part at toyota, the parts guy would print out the diagram of what ever I was working on. He would check different fj40s compare parts. I concur with Wngrog unless it's binding or leaking don't mess with it.

Thanks, I will take advice and not mess with it. How much fluid and what type should be innit?
Steering box should have 600ml of sae 90 api GL4 according to my manual...

A good amount of this seems to be outside the box on mine, and it's not immediately obvious where it's leaking from.

Where do these commonly leak? Is there a shaft repair issue, or does it usually just need new seals?

I rebuild my manual steering boxes with grease.
Much thicker and it will never leak regardless of how worn the seals are.

But I also agree with the above in that if it’s ok and has an acceptable amount of play I’d leave it alone.

But I also agree with the above in that if it’s ok and has an acceptable amount of play I’d leave it alone.

Amen.

I'm thinking maybe I should replace that filler bolt with a grease nipple and pump it in?
600ml is a lot of grease though tbf

The Germans haven’t corrupted you too completely…

😂😂👊👊

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom