FOUND, thanks! 1965 FJ45 LPB Air Cleaner cone (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wadesters

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.cwcruisers.com
My 1965 came with 2 air cleaners. The one on the right in the first picture and close up in the second picture is the original oil bath type. The other one has two holes on the inside so I feel sure it is designed to be used with a paper element.

I have never used the oil bath type. Is it old technology and now I should use an element type? I am doing an original restoration but if something is better I am not that concerned with being absolute period correct.

Thanks..

IMG_3005.jpeg

IMG_3006.jpeg

Most of my Cruisers have the oil bath air cleaner. Yes old school tech, but works fine. It's probably going to be personal choice, I would stick with the oil bath if i had a choice, but im a by the book Cruiser dork. :)
Cleaning I think is the biggest difference.
2 questions for the experts of the 60s 45s.

1. What year was the change from the oil bath type to the paper element filter? And

2. Is it possible to convert an oil bath type filter housing to a paper element? I’m interested in the convenience of paper but want to retain the external look of the oil bath housing.

Thanks for the education!

2 questions for the experts of the 60s 45s.

1. What year was the change from the oil bath type to the paper element filter? And

2. Is it possible to convert an oil bath type filter housing to a paper element? I’m interested in the convenience of paper but want to retain the external look of the oil bath housing.

Thanks for the education!
I think it changed in sometime in 1968, early 69??

I have seen that done before, it will take some modifications/gutting. but can be done.

Some info on #6 Restored Oil Bath Air Cleaner for a 1965 FJ45 - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/restored-oil-bath-air-cleaner-for-a-1965-fj45.866083/#post-9817027

Last edited:
Now that I know which air cleaner (oil bath) air cleaner I will be using can someone tell me the proper installation for the element (is how I have it correct). I don't remember exactly how I removed it. Also how much oil should be inside?

Thank you..

IMG_3023.jpeg

Now that I know which air cleaner (oil bath) air cleaner I will be using can someone tell me the proper installation for the element (is how I have it correct). I don't remember exactly how I removed it. Also how much oil should be inside?

Thank you..

View attachment 3341988

I think the element goes in the top of air cleaner, i can double check later today.
There is a embossed fill to line on the lower part of air cleaner, visible from inside or outside of lower part.

Goes in part C
IMG_1565.png
IMG_1566.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom