1965 FJ40 "Project Survivor" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ClemsonCruiser

Supporting Vendor
Threads
After doing a couple of restorations and resto mods on various 40s and 45s over the last few years I started to crave something a little different. The idea of an original "survivor" with a nice worn patina to it really interested me. I thought it'd be a nice contrast to my other cruisers so I began casually looking for a for a 1965 FJ40 survivor, as '65 is probably my favorite 40 model year.
After a few months I stumbled upon a promising ad. on Craiglist out of Colorado. Made a phone call to the owner asked a bunch of questions and for a few more pictures to clarify its condition. Everything checked out to my liking so I pulled the trigger!
Inked1965 FJ40_LI.jpg

After a couple of weeks the 40 showed up at my house, big thanks to Aaron at Summit Auto Transport for a great price and quick shipping. If you are in need of having a Cruiser shipped in the US Aaron is the best and he is a Cruiserhead to boot. Here is how she looked when she arrived at my house. Missing a few items like the fiberglass cap, front and rear bumpers, and stock rims. Otherwise it is pretty much unmolested and original. I've already tracked down similarly patina'd front and rear bumpers as well as stock rims and hubcaps. I likely won't ever run it with the hardtop on as its topless weather here in the south 10 months out of the year. If anything i'll go with a THC softop. Overall all I am happy as its pretty much exactly what I was looking for. Initial plans are to get it running and driving then just enjoy! I have to say though my wife doesn't quite get the "patina" thing, she doesn't understand why I don't want to clean it up and make it pretty like my other ones. :grinpimp:
1965 FJ40 002.jpg

1965 FJ40 005.jpg

1965 FJ40 009.jpg

1965 FJ40 012.jpg

Last edited:
The previous owner was a nice lady out of Swink, CO. She and her husband had owned it for a few years but never really done much with it other than occasionally drive it around town. She assured me it ran, albeit a little rough and that the brakes did work. Well somewhere between Colorado and South Carolina the brakes gave up the ghost because when it arrived here the pedal was going all the way to the floor. This made for exciting times unloading from the doubledecker auto transporter. :doh: Though thankfully it did run decently but with a bit of a stumble. So I got with Onur and ordered up a new brake master, then I turned my attention to figuring out the stumble in the engine. Started with a basic tune-up and as soon as I pulled the valve cover to adjust the valves the cause of the stumble became quite apparent!
1965 FJ40 018.jpg

1965 FJ40 017.jpg

So she was running on 4 cylinders. The PO had mentioned they had the timing gear replaced, I guess their mechanic didn't think it prudent to check the rest of the valve train even with a timing gear that looked like this :grinpimp:
IMG_0244.jpg

Luckily this was an easy fix, pulled the two push rods and used a vice to straighten them back out. Dropped them back in, did the valve adjustment and she now purrs like a kitten :beer:

Last edited:
nice one! Looks solid! subscribed.

This weekend while waiting on all parts I ordered from Onur and SOR to show up I decided to see how well I could revive the old paint. To my surprise and delight it cleaned up amazingly well. I used a basic polishing compound and my cheap old buffing wheel.
IMG_0221.jpg
IMG_0224.jpg
IMG_0226.jpg
IMG_0229.jpg
IMG_0237.jpg

Oh, so your wives' tell you that you're crazy too?! :confused:

looking forward to the progress.

enjoyed your other threads as well

Thanks! Hope to have her up and running soon and join up with you ONSC guys on some runs :beer:

Nice 40! Almost identical to mine that came from Colorado Springs. Clearly a '65 based on the serial number, corrugated top, and windshield vent. It looks like someone added in a heater from a later model like a 66 or so.

Very cool post up pics of yours if you can. According to SORs VIN chart this one was produced 11/64. The factory heater started in very late '64 for the '65 model year so it is stock.

I am curious, why is 1965 the "best" year.
Hey Hawk. I didn't mean to imply that '65 was the best year rather just my personal favorite. I am a big fan of early Cruisers in general for their simplicity and design aesthetics. '65 is the pinnacle to me of early Cruisers because it is the only year that the stock heater and windshield vent flap were offered concurrently both of which I find pleasing aesthetically. Beyond that there are lots of little styling ques that the early 40s have that I feel are missing on later 40s. :beer:

Hey Hawk. I didn't mean to imply that '65 was the best year rather just my personal favorite. I am a big fan of early Cruisers in general for their simplicity and design aesthetics. '65 is the pinnacle to me of early Cruisers because it is the only year that the stock heater and windshield vent flap were offered concurrently both of which I find pleasing aesthetically. Beyond that there are lots of little styling ques that the early 40s have that I feel are missing on later 40s. :beer:

I also agree. It just seems the later ones get more attention. I know their steel is much thinner on the later ones.

The later ones get more attention... That's fine with me. I love old three speeds on the column, the windshield handle clamps are cool on the early ones too. I've had seven Soldiers ride in my old 67 in "7 man foam seat comfort"! :steer:

Was the heater an option? My '65 didn't come with one. (Doesn't have the little vent on the passenger side).
I have one of the aftermarket heaters.

Interesting. Any chance you can post up the VIN on your 40, it sounds more like you have a 1964 that sat on the lot for a year and was titled as a '65. It was fairly common back in the 60s with Land Cruisers. Who knows though there are always exceptions to the rule so maybe you do have a '65 with no heater, maybe it was originally from another market?
Post up pics and lets have a look :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom