1965 fj40 front axle rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was hoping to get a Marlin crawler rebuild kit for my front axle but looks like they only go back to 1979. Does anyone else know of another option or know if this kit for a 1979 will still work on my 1965? Ty for the info
Screenshot_20180719-144644.png

I have them available. PN 112-08A: $99.00

1979 kit will not work with a 1965 axle. Most people who buy the Marlin kit do so for the inner seals. The 1965 axle has brass bushings instead of seals so there’s really no need to go with the Marlin kit. You can save yourself $90 and go with one of the vendors above.

Leave me a VM at the shop and I’ll call you when I’m there. I’ve actually got an errand to run there tomorrow, so I could ship Monday morning.

Are there still no solution for the brassbushings?

Is there a problem, or do you just want to change it to know you did?

I wheel my 64 more than most, and I have yet to wear one out.

I have oil mixed with the grease leaking from the knuckles, I was thinking the bushings were the problem

That will happen over time even with fresh bushings. It’s the nature of the beast. The spiral relief cut in the bushing will naturally let oil through (which is better than seizing)

If you never wheel your truck, then you can just glue the thing shut. OTOH, if you wheel a ball and claw as much as I do, you just get used to cleaning out the knuckles a little more often.

That will happen over time even with fresh bushings. It’s the nature of the beast. The spiral relief cut in the bushing will naturally let oil through (which is better than seizing)

If you never wheel your truck, then you can just glue the thing shut. OTOH, if you wheel a ball and claw as much as I do, you just get used to cleaning out the knuckles a little more often.

I installed new bushings and you are correct, mine still dribble. They are brand new. I suppose that was OK for the times.

I posted a question in the tech section on this topic, i found one of the axles i have laying around has a bushing installed but the axle is a cv style shaft. Im wondering if i can remove the bushing and drill/ream (if necessary?) the housing to accommodate a seal instead? has anyone ever attempted this? can it be done? id really like to know the i.d. of the axle housing where the bushing installs to see if this is even something that is possible. ??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom