1965 FJ40 Build - "SW Off-Road" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone!

My name is Mike, and I'm now the eager and proud owner of a 1965 FJ40... But before we dive in to the new truck, I'll share some back story.

In March of last year, I purchased my first Land Cruiser/Offroad build after a decade in the world of classic BMWs. We went through a number of adventures together, but unfortunately, this past Monday, my FJ62 was stolen here in Orange County, CA.

fj62-arb-bumper-old-man-emu-lift-kit.jpg

Life just isn't right without a Land Cruiser, so I began the hunt for a replacement truck, and I'm extremely excited with where my search has landed me. I had originally planned to purchase another FJ62, but buying another, and throwing a lot of money at it just to arrive right at where I was prior just felt too painful. Wanting to stay within the Land Cruiser community, I broadened my search to include the 40 series, and today, I made the purchase.

26272692781_99900690f5_b.jpg

The truck is a 1965 FJ40, and the main motivator for purchase is that it's incredibly rust free. Although it's earning a patina of sorts, every nook and cranny is devoid of the rust we all know and despise. The floor pans look great inside and underneath, the rear and is solid up and down. The frame is great, and overall, I think I'd struggle to find one with less rust that hasn't gone through a restoration.

26338939565_79a855d8a0_b.jpg

The paint is an interesting tan, with lots of speckling and such going on. A sun-burn patina is working its way through parts of the truck, which for me, is to-die-for. Paint is beautiful, but in my garage, more often than not, things have an alternate finish, and this truck is a perfect match. A few patches of grey paint are oddly welcome, giving things a bit of character (under the gas neck, on the front fender, etc)

26338937785_593953c1d3_b.jpg

Everything seems to be present and works well. The inside is a deep grey, similar to the color of my stolen FJ62. There's an extensive roll cage inside, that will likely come out - I build roll cages, and am not happy at all with the work on this one, so it'll get added to the growing to-do list.

26338936555_635e197713_b.jpg

The rear has some sort of aftermarket swing-out tire carrier, which I'll rebuild at some point as well. The rear folding door setup has shot seals (as does the rest of the truck) but everything seems to function well. The tires are nice to look at, but are chunking apart and are by far the loudest thing I've ever driven on (requiring yelling to the passenger just to hear. It's abysmal.)

26312957356_45fb2e917b_b.jpg

Under the hood is a small block Chevy 350 - I'm sure that's a mixed opinion thing around here, but for me, it seems like a nice alternative. The fellow I bought the truck from knew little about it, and since bringing it home and to the shop, I've done some crawling around underneath it to see what kind of gear is present.

26339007095_5638281742_b.jpg

The truck seems to have been swapped nicely, as everything fits up well and all of the mounts are professionally made. It has an AA Ranger III box in it - which seems like a positive thing? - although I haven't tested out any functionality yet. Part of me would like to convert to an automatic transmission, so I'll be prodding you guys with questions about that before too long. Currently, the 4-speed trans is hell to drive, and the clutch pedal force is immense (I'm a manual trans owner in every car I own, but this is on another level).

I'll update tomorrow with some more photos, details, etc about the truck, especially as I learn more and tear in to it.

The first things on the list:

New tires

The "Front Drive" lever on the dash isn't hooked up to anything - the box it leads to in the engine bay has four ports, and none have hoses, so I'll need to find some diagrams and re-hook this stuff up.

Attempt to solve the clutch pressure

New tie rods.... I've never driven anything that wanders the road so bad.

Anyway, I'll be sure to update this thread as the build goes on! And with better photos. Looking forward to learning more and being a part of the FJ40 community!

It sounds like you have a good grasp on your new 40 and the builds direction already. I like your descriptions of the paint. I feel the same way, new paint looks great but there is something equally as cool about a well loved Fj40 with a little character "built in".

Welcome to mud Mike...sorry to hear about the 62! I'm pretty familiar with some of the cars you've done in the past (formerly an E30 guy myself), I think you'll really appreciate the character of these rigs even more so than your former 62.

Looks like a serious survivor...having had a 350 swapped and fairly built FJ40 and now more of a stocker with stock drivetrain I'd get an F back in it personally. You'll have to check out my build, I have the smaller, younger cousin of yours!

Have fun with it, look forward to seeing it evolve!

Welcome to mud Mike...sorry to hear about the 62! I'm pretty familiar with some of the cars you've done in the past (formerly an E30 guy myself), I think you'll really appreciate the character of these rigs even more so than your former 62.

Looks like a serious survivor...having had a 350 swapped and fairly built FJ40 and now more of a stocker with stock drivetrain I'd get an F back in it personally. You'll have to check out my build, I have the smaller, younger cousin of yours!

Have fun with it, look forward to seeing it evolve!

Thanks! What in particular makes you prefer the F series engine over the 350? Swapping back isn't something I'd be opposed to, but it not something that's on my list any time soon.

It sounds like you have a good grasp on your new 40 and the builds direction already. I like your descriptions of the paint. I feel the same way, new paint looks great but there is something equally as cool about a well loved Fj40 with a little character "built in".

Glad to see others agree! Thanks for the kind words.

Glad to hear you at least have another Land Cruiser now. Looks like you have plenty of mirrors on the driver side haha. Definitely not going to be as nice to drive as a 62 but a 40 never disappoints and each is a little different. I love driving my 69 everyday even though it has a few leaks I've found during this rain in so cal haha.

I like the F engine but I think if mine ever dies I would try to do a Toyota 1uz V8 swap. But the sbc Chevy is a good motor I have nothing against it but to each there own. IMO I don't think the F motor is worth ditching the sbc unless you're doing a full resto. The sbc is technically a better motor.

The Ranger I'm familiar with is an overdrive that sets between the bellhousing and the transmission. The gearing is 1:1, and I think 27% for the overdrive, and will have an extra gear shift lever between the stock lever and the gas pedal. There is an underdrive version available also, but in my opinion is not useful in an already low geared 40, unless you do a lot of rock crawling. The overdrive can make highway driving a bit easier, slowing down the motor RPM's.

The Ranger will allow a four speed to become an eight speed as it will give you an extra gear between each of the stock four gears. It also acts as the adapter between the Toyota transmission bolt pattern and the Chevy bellhousing bolt pattern.

Don

The extended shackles on the front are messing up the front caster and that is why it wanders. If you put stock sized shackles on, it will drive better, but you will loose some lift, you can but lifted springs on to get your lift back. Or you could put some leaf spring degree shims on to restore your caster, they are probably the cheapest option with fewest hoops to jump through.

Great early 40! Very clean. The early stuff really held up better than the latter models.

Stock master(newer) and clutch(newer) on my 64 is very heavy compared to any of my latter rigs, sitting in slow traffic is a work out.

Some 33x10.5 on those wheels will work and drive great.

Still drum front end?

If the 350 is done right, I'd keep it probably.

Sorry for your lose but congrats on the new rig

Thanks for all of the comments and positivity, guys! I'm still having a blast with this thing. After a few weeks of ownership, I've done a few things, solved a few things, and have plenty of questions, so I figured it's time for an update.

FJ40-1.jpg

I adored the look of the stock steelies and the 34" SSs, but as said, they were undrivable. I threw on my buddy's FJ62 stockies to roll on for now, and it made a world of difference in terms of road noise and comfort. The truck no longer shakes itself to death, and the wandering has waned significantly.

After a good bit of driving, the driveline has started to sort itself out a bit. I think I need to fab up a clutch stop - it seems to have a bit too much travel, which has been resulting in some of the driveline problems.

I've also found that driving without the Ranger overdrive engaged makes for a MUCH quieter driving experience - way less gear whine. Is this typical of these gearboxes? Perhaps mine needs overhauling?

Fj40-2.jpg

In changing over the wheels and tires, I found that the front end has disc brakes, which as far as I know is an upgrade - they're 4-pot calipers, which helps to explain why stopping has been more than adequate.
I also discovered that she's got some form of mechanical/aussie lockers front and rear - I couldn't hear them while driving before the tire change. It's a welcome surprise!

I got the transfer case hooked back up - the linkages were disconnected when I bought it. Low gear seems to function great, but it leaves me with a few questions I'm hoping you guys can answer.

The front drive vacuum switch - mine's missing what seems to be a sealed cover. I can supply photos if needed. It has four ports, which are all disconnected. I did some searching online, and was under the impression that it's supposed to only have 3 ports, at least that's how it looks in the drawings and diagrams. I ordered a replacement from SOR, and unfortunately, another 4-port unit arrived, and it too came without its cover. Frustrating to say the least.

26721627912_7aec7b414c_o.jpg

Can anyone tell me if I've got the right or wrong switch, and where the lines run to? I see three - two that run down to the transfer case and one that runs over to the brake booster. Where does the other line go? I'm anxious to get the 4WD in working order so I can take it for a shakedown run.

Lastly, I pulled the old cage out of it, and found it a new home on craigslist. I've begun my own, as a very simply-styled, classic double-hoop roll cage. I'll post some pics once I finish it up, probably this weekend.

My 1970 needed a complete cab swap, and so I sourced one in 416 loaded with patina. My only stipulation was no structural rust. I ended up clear-coating mine to stop the patina it in it's tracks. Give that a go? Either that or wax but that needs reapplication.

IMG_5166.jpg

IMG_5167.jpg

IMG_5168.jpg

Cool truck. I'd keep the sbc. They make plenty of power for cheap and are pretty darn reliable

Sorry to hear the swampers were so bad on the road. I really want to try a set.

I think part of the reason the swampers were so bad is that they were from 1994. They flew apart while driving.

The mysterious 'fourth' port is the breather/filter that keeps the vacuum inside the box from preventing the stop valves from opening and closing. You just need the filter box. It is a letterbox shaped piece of tin with a framed screen on one face, and a rubber o-ring on the underside to seal it to your shifter control box.

My daily driver is a '64, and I specialize in the vintage stuff.

www.marksoffroad.net

:cheers:

The LTB's , even when new are a tread-squirming tire in the worst sort on pavement- just an fyi . Offroad , they dig like nothing else with that narrow tread pattern and love to dig holes to the axles . Unless they are dead-on inflated perfectly , they either wander overall or just follow every wear line or washboard in the road , not to mention concrete joints . They weren't too bad on my old Sami , didn't even really need air (drove on a flat for a week, never felt it) , but when I tried a set borrowed from a buddy on the heavier Cruiser , wow ....

In contrast , the current set of Toyo Open Country MT's , while expensive buggers , ride excellent and the traction is amazing , even in snow/ice . Wear rate is great so far , nearly 30k on them already and not even close to 1/2 tread of new . I've heard a lot of good things about the newer BFG's as well as some of the newer offerings in the 285/85 sizes , which I'd like to try on the next set .

Love the looks of that old '65...classic .

Sarge

I got the vacuum assist hooked up and the 4WD works well. I took the truck for a shakedown run this weekend up Santiago Peak, since it's close by and rather tame. The truck did very well, and has me falling in love more than ever.

Sorry for the cell phone photos.

26881748356_ba8f6ba3c3_b.jpg

26821496502_1c68def451_b.jpg

26309663164_2a42116c51_b.jpg

26309635144_e6492ac7f5_b.jpg

26915099905_928cf0d628_b.jpg

26915104535_f4c282f17a_b.jpg

26821496872_d3696fddd7_b.jpg

26821485622_8a1f60dc2d_b.jpg

I also spent the weekend re-tapping all of the holes that hold the top down, and it's now secure and snug, which has transformed the truck entirely. Next on the list is replacing the seal at the top of the windshield - is that all that goes in there? The gap seems huge (I can fit my fingers through it) so I imagine it'd take a substantial rubber seal to gap it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom