1965 FD Cable Operation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Could someone with a 1960's FJ40 that has the cable activated 4WD setup like this post a video of you operating it? I think my cable assembly has taken a crap on me. It has been so long since I've used it that I want to be sure I am activating it properly. thanks ahead of time....
Dash 2.jpg

4wd is engaged but pulling on the FD knob. It opens a vacuum switch on the firewall which allows engine vacuum to pull on a diaphragm on the transfer case. It’s a bit of a Rube Goldberg design compared to a simple shifter, but it’s pretty simple.

The lever engages low range.

Thanks Splangy, for some reason my FD knob is locked in place and when I tried pulling with some force it pulled the cable assembly out of the dash.
It used to work as I used it in a blizzard 3 winters ago.

Thanks Splangy, for some reason my FD knob is locked in place and when I tried pulling with some force it pulled the cable assembly out of the dash.
It used to work as I used it in a blizzard 3 winters ago.

Just the inner cable, or the whole cable housing?

Inner cable assembly. Maybe can be lubed and crimped or I may need a new cable assembly. I have not looked too closely at it yet. Only cussed at it!

Inner cable assembly. Maybe can be lubed and crimped or I may need a new cable assembly. I have not looked too closely at it yet. Only cussed at it!

When the inner cable breaks, nine times out of ten there’s about 1/2” of it attached to the anchor inside the vacuum switching box under the hood. I suggest you open that up first to confirm, because if that is the case, there’s no point in lubing a cable that isn’t long enough to work any more.

Thanks Mark. the cable is not broken. It is still attached at the base. The knob pulls out of the dash bring the cable with it. It looks like there was a crimp or something that keeps the assembly in place in the dash when you pull the know. I pull and the whole knob assembly pulls out. I'll take a pic and post it. I may need a new cable.

Understood. Post a pic when you have it out and we will compare notes. I have an extra housing that split open we could probably get your missing pieces from.

So, when I recently had windshield frame rust repair done they painted...heavily and it covered that cable. I realized it and took a razor and cut the paint away from the joint, sanded and lubricated it. The cable now moves freely AND I reread my manual and learned that these old ones have to have the hubs locked before you pull the cable. ROOKIE mistake. A little tightening and now all is well with the cable and it stays in the dash.
Thanks to everyone for your assistance. This forum is a great resource for knucklheads like myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom