1964 Trailblazer Chief Camper Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Finally got back to doing some work again. Door frame got painted and put in. Put the J Channel back on the entire passenger side.
thumbnail_IMG_6130.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_6129.jpg

Started wiring the lights.
thumbnail_IMG_6131.jpg

Decided to upgrade the cargo door to something modern with a decent lock and insulation, got about 1.5" extra vertical clearance in the door now too. Duplicating work a bit since I had already put the original door back on but I think its gonna be a good choice.
thumbnail_IMG_6161.jpg

Realized I forgot the license plate light so I threw that on and tied it in.
thumbnail_IMG_6190.jpg

Patched to top front driver side where I had the gap, cut a patch out which I fiberglassed on from the back side and then sealed with JB Weld on the front side. This is how I filled all the various holes around the camper and what I found a lot of people doing from other camper sources. I think it will work fine for this.
thumbnail_IMG_6191.jpg

J Channel on the drivers sides after the patch was done.
thumbnail_IMG_6193.jpg

Spent the last few days adjusting window openings so the new windows will fit. A little bit of metal trimming and a lot of time adjusting the framing around each to be good and tight. Then I cut the new window opening into the driver side (middle hole) and used the piece to start my patch job on the drivers side front window. This is where the bathroom is going to be so the window needed to go.
thumbnail_IMG_6212.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_6218.jpg

Former window opening is all sealed from both sides now, need to get around to getting it sanded and cleaned up next. Spent a couple hours working on insulation.
thumbnail_IMG_6236.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_6235.jpg

Still plugging away at insulation. Had to hold this piece in place while the foam did its thing, got it all cleaned up now.
thumbnail_IMG_6243.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_6254.jpg

This is the last piece left to do. It was dinner time and I didn't want to start cutting up a whole new board of insulation so I called it a night. Should have it wrapped up today though.
thumbnail_IMG_6261.jpg

Why such a thick wall of foam ?
Its 1.5", that is the thickness of the walls so it seemed pretty simple to just go with that. I also plan to use this during hunting season in the fall and ski season in the winter which means it could be well into the negative temps when I'm using it.

Its 1.5", that is the thickness of the walls so it seemed pretty simple to just go with that. I also plan to use this during hunting season in the fall and ski season in the winter which means it could be well into the negative temps when I'm using it.
Was asking about the spray foam, it looked really thick in that one section in the photo, just curious. It's been fun watching you resurrect this thing., :beer:

Was asking about the spray foam, it looked really thick in that one section in the photo, just curious. It's been fun watching you resurrect this thing., :beer:
Got you, that spot has a really tight curve that goes toward the front of the camper. I couldn't really get regular foam board to stay in place on that tight curve and didn't want to have to use a ton of pieces. Once I trimmed it down I don't think its any more than the 1.5" that is elsewhere and maybe a little less actually.

Already mentioned insulation was done, but thought this panorama was kind of cool.
thumbnail_IMG_6263.jpg

Started on the interior paneling, waiting on the nailer I ordered to get here so I can actually hang it. Unfortunately I'm having my torn ACL and Meniscus surgery on Tuesday so it will probably be a couple weeks before I can get back at it.
thumbnail_IMG_6296.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_6297.jpg

Finally recovered enough from surgery that climbing in and out of the camper and being on my feet for an extended period is manageable. I have most of a wall done now, got everything in the previous photos glued and nailed into place and got an additional panel done.
thumbnail_68695835653__B319208B-65FC-4B55-913C-E6C895F79844.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom