Nissan 1964 Nissan Patrol soft top frame off restoration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Obviously this is the cowl, the rubber gasket under the windshield hinge is reproduction, the one under the hood hinge I made. Some of the hardware on these trucks Nissan painted, some they did not. It is all about how they were assembled at the factory, replicating that in the resto has proven challenging. We didn't paint this body on a jig mostly assembled as Nissan would have.

cowl.jpg

Nissan would have painted the truck with the hood hinge on the cowl. We didn't do this so got to be real careful not to scratch/chip up the mounting bolts when assembling.
cowl1.jpg

Reproduction on the weather seal that is from cowl to the not yet installed windshield frame. The rubber simply does not exist for these trucks. I am using a combination of reproduction, original that is restored and small items like rubber bumps or grommets is being sourced from Metro Molded and Steel Rubber. I was able to get a Datsun guy to reproduce a few dozen items for these trucks. He has stopped producing it though so what we got is all we got in new reproduction form.
cowl3.jpg

Cheers

i love your threads, pitty all the photos from earlier posts are, gone :(

They are not gone actually, 50 or so are over here, if you have a facebook account you can check it out,
1964 Nissan Patrol soft top | Facebook

Biggest and most often complaint I get in these threads though, that the pics are gone. So will be uploading to Mud directly from here on out.

Oh ya and I just came across this picture, unrestored footwell on the 64. :)
pedal assembly.jpg

Cheers

They are not gone actually, 50 or so are over here, if you have a facebook account you can check it out,
1964 Nissan Patrol soft top | Facebook

Biggest and most often complaint I get in these threads though, that the pics are gone. So will be uploading to Mud directly from here on out.

Oh ya and I just came across this picture, unrestored footwell on the 64. :)
View attachment 1163462

Cheers
no facebook here mate, just a lover of great craftsmanship.

keep up the good work!

Challenging project!

Challenging project!

Very! But this is the first one I have done to this detail and depth. So working out a ton of stuff that makes the next one much easier. By the way, I am having a hell of a time finding new o-rings for the steering box. They are big bastards. If anyone knows a good source for quality o-rings in large sizes it would help me. All I need is these friggin' o-rings and I can finish off the steering box and mount it up.

Been working on a lot of little things on this truck lately, one of the bigger projects is restoring the wiring harness. The 64's original harness is in good enough condition to save. So I am stripping it, checking everything, making repairs as required and re-wrapping with the early grey wrap.

Seems Mud doesn't want to take my pics at this time, perhaps there is a quota and I have reached it? Here is pics linked offsite, hope they work.

image.php

Nissan really went all out on these trucks, the attention to detail is awesome. Inside the wiring harness wrap is red wrap and a wax twine to keep it all in order and organized. Crazy to think this has not seen the light of day since 1963 and the last guy who touched it is likely dead. :eek:
image.php

I always really like this about Patrols, main wires in the harness are dated. Pretty friggin' cool! And yes, Yazaki is the company that manufactured these wiring harnesses for Nissan.
image.php

For the trans/t-case badge I am using an original that is un-restored but in very good condition. Although I still need to replace the mounting screws.
image.php

Cheers

Test fitting a lot of parts lately.

This tool box is original, Nissan supplied these trucks with a very complete tool kit. They are extremely rare these days and super hard to come by. This is under the passenger seat, a rubber strap to hold it down is not shown.

image.php

Original rubber block for the tool box, restored using wintergreen oil. I have a re-production now though I think I will use instead.

image.php

Glass tail light assembly

image.php

image.php

Window regulator and handle. The regulator is un-restored, just cleaned up. I think I may leave it this way. Handle got fresh chrome, plastic trim is original.

image.php

All original hardware on this truck was restored. Mostly zinc plated but some in zinc with yellow chromate, zinc with black chromate and some cadmium.

Cheers

PTO shifter finalized. I went around and around on the boot for it. In the end we decided the center hump rear PTO plug works best, slice it where it has the cut outs and it works perfect. The one fitted is an old one for test purposes. I will replace it with the new one next to it.

image.php

Kick vent screens and levers are installed. All original hardware, down to the washers!

image.php

Ash tray resto, the one on the right is actually the original for the 64, I used a better condition one to restore. I still need to get some of the tiny screws for it, ones I am using at the moment are originals and un-restored.

image.php

image.php

image.php

Cheers

Test fitting the dash panels. The green/red lights are backwards in these pics, just test fitting! The lights are for high beam and turn signal, probably obvious.

image.php

image.php

image.php

More attention to detail from Nissan on these trucks. The red paint is original on this horn relay, the fuse block also has the red paint.

image.php

Cheers

That looks super good!

Making progress, while the snow piles up all around!

Making progress, while the snow piles up all around!

Ha! indeed, nothing but shop time and board time in the powpow. :)

Cheers

RMP&O,

Great Job! I wouldn't want to give it back to the owner after all you put into it.

Question... Any pictures of the different tools that come with it?

RMP&O,

Great Job! I wouldn't want to give it back to the owner after all you put into it.

Question... Any pictures of the different tools that come with it?

I can find some pictures. I have only ever had/seen one complete tool kit, out of more than 20 Patrols I have owned and seen a few hundred more.

It came with a full spanner set, grease gun, set of screw drivers, crescent wrench, spark plug wrench and a few other things. All of the tools said "Nissan" on them. In addition the trucks came with a bottle jack and it's handle. An engine hand crank too, you can hand crank start an old Patrol.

Cheers

Head light resto/assembly, luckily I have correct pre-68 Patrol Toshiba headlights. As you can imagine, not many sets of these original Toshiba headlights out there that still work. Starting in 1968, they are Koito's.

head lights6.jpg

head lights5.jpg

head lights7.jpg

Head light pig tail, Koito and Denko.

head lights10.jpg

In case you can't read it, it says "Tokyo Denko 1963"

head lights9.jpg

Cheers

Assembled head light ready to install

head lights2.jpg

Now for the tail lights, these are a real bitch to restore, mostly because the lens is glass and extremely hard to come by but also because the rubber boots are NLA and needed as they retain the glass lens.

A combo of restored pieces and cleaned up original pieces

tail light8.jpg

pick the best parts and use them

tail light6.jpg

Fitted to the truck, just need some more mounting screws before installing the glass lens and chrome ring. These are basically unobtainium, people would kill for these!

tail light5.jpg

Cheers