1964 LWB potentials (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m toying with the idea of letting go of what was once my dream truck... I’ll try not to bore you with too many details besides the truck, but it’s not an unfamiliar theme.. Changing priorities and finances, combined with some health issues, and a little bit of general oldfxxxeritis thrown in too... SW Montana.

What I have is a 1964 FJ45 lwb pickup. It is a project. It is not quite complete, nor does it run, nor do I know about it’s likelihood of running without fully rebuilding the motor. It sat for a little over 20 years before I got it (driven to it’s parking place), and was sunk up to the frame in a very dry silty setting. I have done some basic rescue work to the rig to preserve it by particle blasting several of the removable parts including the upper cab, roof panel, windshield frame, bib, aprons, hood, fenders, tailgate, headache rack, and transmission cover. It does not have the vacuum lines for transfer case shifting, the column shifter assembly is gone, the wiring is completely out (chewed..coiled in a box). The carb is missing, the brake master as well as clutch master and slave cylinders are out. All brake and clutch lines are suspect at best, and likely need full replace. The hood is a newer year, the hood hinges are a newer year. Windshield hinges are newer. The motor is an F, but not the original one... the open title in my name is a combination of the motor and frame numbers in accordance with it’s previous states requirements for re-powered rigs..(original US rig) this results in the truck title representing the truck as newer than the frame number alone implies. I suspect we could get this straightened around in my state if the vehicle was running with a simple, formal inspection.

The Good:

The frame is solid, there was/is only some minor surface rust present. I hand sanded and drill sanded much of the surface rust off before applying rattle primer and the rattle can paint. There is no bondo on the rig.. What you see is what you get. I took most of the cab exterior down to bare metal or at least into the factory primer to stop the oxidation.

The Bad:

No carb. Missing one corner glass and windshield glass. The roof panel has canoe(?) dents and a rust hole in the front portion near the mounting bar on one front corner. This was particle blasted to bare metal and promptly sprayed with rattle can rust inhibitor. The floor of the box is well used and has some rust through, it is dented and squarshed. I have not taken the cab off the frame, and I have not touched up the frame under the cab, so you can clearly see what the rest of it was like before my efforts. I haven’t done anything inside the cab other than try to slow the deterioration in the floors until I can cut it out... There are a couple spots on the lower cab like the rockers that are rusting a bit.. Unknown what exactly is there and is not, but I’m happy to help sort out the details as best I can...

The Ugly:

The floor at the drivers feet is rusted through. There are several nearly dime sized holes.. the majority of the cab seems good and it appears that a new piece welded in that floor panel would work fine. I do not see any structural damage in the main support pieces. The wiring was chewed through in many places and just deteriorated, the wiring is out of the truck entirely, coiled in a box. All switches and gauges are out of the truck also, but most are present with the truck. There are no rear lights, or at the very least they are not functional if I even have them in a box.. they were bare I think, and beat up thoroughly. The front springs seem pretty flat.. this thing had a small plow blade on it mounted to the springs. All the suspension bushings need replacing. The rear sill-channel of the box is not very good and should be replaced or will require modification to get the tailgate remounted.

The Extras:

I put a nice new, winch mount bumper on it that now has reamed out holes mounting some custom towing tabs, with a (not ideal) custom tow bar included.... I’ll tell yo about some of the glitches with that later (too short, unwanted wheel turn...) . I have a long range fuel tank that will go with it too. This tank was to be mounted in the rear of an fj40, but should fit the same place between the frame rails on this 45?? Not sure of it’s volume, but probably around 20 gallons. I have a new Painless wiring harness for the project. In addition to all the original gauges I have a few others in boxes.. not sure of operational condition, some might even be oem nos?

The Caveat:

I’m still determining what I will do with this project. This is not a rig that I am going to let go easily, or too inexpensively due to my financial and emotional attachments to it... You are Not stumbling onto the deal of the century here.. If there is such a thing as a purchaser, it will probably involve a generous offer and a short essay about how cool this thing is and your plans for it,, and maybe even the promise of giving me a ride in it at some point if I can show up in the right place/time?(I’m kidding, mostly) I may eventually poke around on EBay and see what happens with a high reserve at some point, but I won’t do that today or tomorrow like some I’ve seen post here. I suspect you’ve got time to think about it. I’m not to the point of ‘Needing’, or even really ‘wanting’ to sell it just yet, and have turned down a couple good, honorable, arguably generous offers by many standards in the 6k region by folks that really wanted to give it a good home.... Sooo, I’m just putting it out there to test the waters a bit... It is in fact for sale, but I haven’t determined where my tipping point is just yet.... I’m not going to take 6k today, but I thought I’d at least see if there’s an anxious searcher with more resources than me that wanted the opportunity to persuade me closer to double that?... ok that's a stretch, I know... I consider these things kind of priceless, but ultimately that’s not practical..... Call it what you will... I may even end up hanging on to it for another 10 years as it sits and keep tinkering...If I can come up with a solid number I'll let you know.

IMGP0906.jpg

IMGP1329.JPG

where in SW MT are you? I'm in Helena and somewhat interested.

If your showing your rig......nice project.

If your selling...post a price...

Bidding is for eBay ... This forum is for sharing

I'm working on it In2cruisers... I guess I posted a bit prematurely looking for that eager buyer ready to make it easy for me to part with. I have not come to a solid price, nor have I turned down ANY bidders, but I guess I should take Your advice and go to ebay for somebody ready to snap it up. ;)

8k would do it. Right now less probably will not. Needs transfer case vacuum lines or manual conversion, needs column shift linkage or conversion to floor. Has no carb. Running condition unknown, but ran when parked 20+ years ago @~92k. Needs drivers floor board. The mounts for the box were pretty much shot. Many of the pieces in this posting and my other post regarding this truck were media blasted and rattle painted. All wiring pulled, harness chewed a bit but wrapped up and included, new 'Painless' set also included.

Little rich on the price. Lots of work needed. Lots of stuff damaged or missing also. I kinda want the frame haha.

Agree price is a little high. Not a body panel that doesn't need work and bed may be a lost cause. Engine and drive train a big question mark. It would probably sell at $5k but seller is firm at the $6k. Which is too bad, but it's his right. Would love to have this frame to start a build with.

Help me here. I have seen a few '63 - '65 US FJ45PB's, and they all were SWB. The beds were all rounded at the back. The earliest beds were rounded at the front until they lengthened the cab and added rear corner windows, when the beds became squared at the front corners and shorter overall.
I didn't see the all-square beds with side hooks until '67 (or '66?).
Admittedly the ones I have seen are few in number, but I know them to be US versions originally sold in the US.
Are there any bonafide U.S. '64 or '65s with all square beds with side hooks?
Were there any LWB versions in those years sold new as U.S. models?

Yes, longbed beds were imported into the USA from around 1963 through 1967; other countries continued importing them till much later.
There are various other differences between the Land Cruiser pickups throughout the 1960s-1980s.

Help me here. I have seen a few '63 - '65 US FJ45PB's, and they all were SWB. The beds were all rounded at the back. The earliest beds were rounded at the front until they lengthened the cab and added rear corner windows, when the beds became squared at the front corners and shorter overall.
I didn't see the all-square beds with side hooks until '67 (or '66?).
Admittedly the ones I have seen are few in number, but I know them to be US versions originally sold in the US.
Are there any bonafide U.S. '64 or '65s with all square beds with side hooks?
Were there any LWB versions in those years sold new as U.S. models?

there are 2 versions of the swb or lp model, 1 had a fixed roof with 2 rear facing windows and the other is a removable top just like a lwb or lpb model. the lp model was only produced for a few years, 63-67? and had the same frame dimensions as the lv wagon.
my 65 is just like all the other lpb out there.

there are 2 versions of the swb or lp model, 1 had a fixed roof with 2 rear facing windows and the other is a removable top just like a lwb or lpb model. the lp model was only produced for a few years, 63-67? and had the same frame dimensions as the lv wagon.
my 65 is just like all the other lpb out there.
SWB only from '63-'65, at least that's what the dealer where mine was originally sold remembered (in '71). He had never seen a LWB before '66. That's my experience, too. The first ever pickup I saw was a '67, LWB, which I saw in Fraser Colorado in '69.
Of course Toyota stopped importing all pickups after '67 with the advent of the Uniform Vehicle Code for 1968.
Sometime in '64 the removable top appeared. Mine is an early '63 with fixed roof.
All the "known original U.S." SWB's I have seen have 104" wheelbase, just like the early 45LV's, as you said. When did the LV's go long?

Good discussion. too bad it's here in the Classified section....

The LWB pick-up went on sale starting in June of 1964. Land Pimp has a great factory service bulletin introducing the model noting the differences on the new model to the SWB. You can check it out here http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/4651935

Here is a picture with the first sale date, sorry its blurry. Check out the link for better pics. All credit for the images goes to Land Pimp
45sale.jpg

What a great bit of info! Thanks.
From that bulletin, it looks like my '63 SWB was a development effort, using FJ40 parts wherever possible (bed corners and lip, for instance) and the LWB was a real push to get into the PU market. Adjustable seats & real visors - fancy that!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom