IH 1964 IH 1Ton (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Big Ed

SILVER Star
Threads
I have a 64 pickup I have been driving/working on since 2000. It's not a daily driver,I use it for running the local trails and hauling firewood. I have made a lot of changes to it over the years and will start posting pics and explaining. I've driven it through Dusy-Ershim twice and done numerous shorter trips also. The pics start with what I had to do to get the larger chromolly axles to fit up front.
knuckle studs.jpg
clearancing knuckle.jpg

Pics also show studs in place of the stock use of bolts. I had to drill the holes larger and counterbore the back side before installing the studs.

Stock vs chromolly axles.

Stock vs aftermarket Warn hubs
002.jpg
061.jpg
063.jpg

Stock vs chromolly axles.

Rubbing inside bell where larger chromolly axles didn't clear.
048.jpg
027.jpg
042.jpg

Last edited:
I know the pics are fuzzy,but you can still tell where the axle was rubbing(lower left of hole). These were taken before clearancing.

Clearancing.

New bushings.
045.jpg
049.jpg
066.jpg

Above pic.

Stock spindle and bushing on left.

Modified spindle(bored for larger axle)and new bushing on right. We got lucky and found a bushing that didn't need any machining at a bearing supplier.

This had to be done to make clearance for the larger axles inside the knuckle. Also,the chromolly axles are for an open knuckle. So,the design if different.

Last edited:
Stock bell and bushing.

Modified bell and modified bushing.

Spacer between wheel hub and locking hub to allow the use of slightly longer Ford outer(stub)axles.
075.jpg
049.jpg
065.jpg

Last edited:
New arm we made to help compensate for the lift. We also made the drag link drop,the idea was to get half from each.

Inside of knuckle.
069.jpg
070.jpg
071.jpg

Here's a pic of the truck we're talking about on a recent trip into Ershim Lake hauling the roof and walls to a new outhouse.

Dual transmissions,I made plates to marry an IH T34(5 speed overdrive)with a Borg Warner T18 4 speed. This gives me crawl ratios of 61:1,113:1,207:1 and 375:1. 375:1 is achieved with 6.21 first,6.32 first,2:1 low range(NP 202 transfer case)and 4.88:1 ring and pinnion(stock).
023.jpg
079.jpg
080.jpg

Driveshaft between transmission and transfer case.

Mount to support additional weight.

Transfer case.

You can also see the PTO winch driveshaft in these pics.
081.jpg
083.jpg
084.jpg

Last edited:
How power connection is made.
093.jpg
091.jpg
092.jpg

Last edited:
Trying to find non fuzzy pic.

Rear view of truck.
099.jpg
054.jpg

Last edited:
I love that generation of IH truck.
My cousin has one that's been in the family since it rolled off the lot, it was my great-grandfather's work truck (he was a blacksmith). It has 1-tons, I want to say a 395, and a four speed.
I'd someday love to own a Travelette as a Toyota Tug.

I did this lift in the spring of 2007,here are the parts I made.

Rear shackle. Machined from solid steel(3" longer than stock)and still uses the stock 7/8" pins.

Rear spring hanger. Also machined from solid and pin hole is 3" lower.

Front spring hanger. Had a local shop bend a peice of 3/8" plate,machined the shape and added a peice for strength.
052.jpg
055.jpg
056.jpg

Last edited:
Front shackle and new mounting. Had to move back for longer springs,the peice behind the frame is machined from solid. Went back later and added the plate that covers the old location,frame was cracking from all the twisting on the trails.

Front u bolt plate. Just a peice of 1/2" plate,wish I added some cross peices or bends to keep it from bowing when tightening.

New front shock mounting. Because it's still push-pull steering,the lower mount has to extend back like the original. Or the steering arm will hit it.

Using Skyjacker 8" lift springs for 78 Chevy in the front.
057.jpg
058.jpg
059.jpg

Last edited:
Ford shock tower in front. Got this new from Ford for about the same price as PNP.

Top of new front spring hanger. Removed the rivets and used bolts,also added a peice across the front to tie into the winch mount plate.

New steering arm. Machined from solid,including the boss on the bottom that fits into the top of the knuckle. Used a stock king pin,pressed in and pinned like on the original. Then heated it up and bent to compensate for lift. Then made fixture to hold it at the same angle as on the rig so I could machine the tapered hole for the drag link.
060.jpg

061.jpg

062.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom