Builds 1964 FJ45LV Restoration underway (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sir, if you want to build a nicer roof rack for your LV....
some nice ones are in this thread... enjoy
I like a few and took some ideas from it. I am going to keep the original frame, but going to replace the black plywood floor with white oak sealed a teak color. I think that could look pretty sweet. But I've been wrong before. Many times in fact.

If you still need the battery support, I've got one for cheap! Send me a text 5014730633! Also just picked up my 67 FJ45LV last weekend. Excited to get it put back together!
sorry i missed this. I would have rather spent the money with you. Lesson is slowing down a little. How's your project coming along? any tips regarding replacing the weather stripping for rear tailgate and hatch? How about windshield weather stripping? No worries.

The OME 45 kit from Cruiser Outfitters is what I used and it works well. Perfect with 33" tires. The ride is stiff but good. I think my bench seat is what bounces most. Nice level stance.
IMG_0830.JPG

This profile is what I used on the tailgate all the way around and it seals well. It has to be glued in place and I had to screw an aluminum strip on the bottom section because the texture of the bed-liner material would not allow the glue to stick.

View attachment 1960753
AWESOME, Thank you for sending over. Also, encouraged you put bedliner down because that is in my current plan. any regrets or would you do it again? thanks,

I have always thought the old girl rode a little low in the rear, but always chalked it up to age of leaf springs, small tires, too many beers, etc. The other day I was perusing the manual and found an interesting diagram. I know this girl is one from japan, and I've heard rumors that those models had 16" rims vs the 15" the ones for us had. But when I look at the manual, it appears the Japanese models had 15" fronts and 16" inch rears. I may not be reading in right, but that would explain the rear elevation difference.

View attachment 1960578

I'm not sure Mr. T would release a vehicle with different sized rims? What size would the spare be? On the off chance they were different then the rolling height would have to be the same so both axles don't bind up when in 4WD; meaning the sagging rear end would have to be due to something else, potentially just tired springs. The 45V/LV rear guard is significantly lower too, contributing the issue.

But there is that info in the manual. I was intrigued so pulled mine and sure enough same info. In addition to the different size they list different plys (6 vs. 8). Interestingly (maybe) the manual shows 4ply for the front and 6ply for the rears on the FJ43(L)-C, same size though for each. And on the FJ45(L)P-B they show 6ply for the front and 8ply for the rears, again same size for each. That also makes a spare tire choice and use temporary I guess.

But a 7.00 x 15" in the front and a 7.00 x 16" in the rear would mean that the rear would ride higher than the front. I think the proofreader was on the sake that day.

If they are both 7.00 would that not mean the overall tire height is the same?
:meh:

If they are both 7.00 would that not mean the overall tire height is the same?
:meh:
I think in early tyres that represents sidewalk height in inches regardless of rim size. I think later tyres started the percentage of overall height craze. But am not 100%.

My LV had sagged so far over the years that at one point someone modified the oil pan so the front diff wouldn't hit it. The rear was off about 3inchs side to side, one spring had a negative arch, other flat.

Last summer I replaced the whole suspension with OME from Kurt, I pulled 2 leafs from the rear packs so it sat level(may or may not have pulled a front leaf). I had planned on running 33x9.5 or 10.5 but after I lifted it I decided I like the look of the small 28" tires, just looked more correct(my LV is very stock). I do run 33x10.5 on all the other cruisers.

I still run the single line brakes, but I replaced every hard and soft line, new master, new wheel cylinders etc. Would have cost the same to do disc....but I wanted to keep this one stock. If adjusted well, the drum work great.

I agree that my overstuffed bench seat is the cause of most of my bouncing around, suspension rides fantastic.

And I love the 3 on the tree, cant imagine changing it unless I was replacing the original f motor with a 2f or something.

Mine has no seat belts(and never did) and I have no desire to put them in....I'd rather be able to dodge the harpoon colume that be strapped in.

New question for the community experts. Context: I have always thought the old girl rode a little low in the rear, but always chalked it up to age of leaf springs, small tires, too many beers, etc. The other day I was perusing the manual and found an interesting diagram. I know this girl is one from japan, and I've heard rumors that those models had 16" rims vs the 15" the ones for us had. But when I look at the manual, it appears the Japanese models had 15" fronts and 16" inch rears. I may not be reading in right, but that would explain the rear elevation difference. So, I have all 15" rims on it currently, and plan to keep it that way for now.
Question. I would like to level it out. I currently think the best way to level it is to update the leaf springs that create the lift needed. Does anyone know if the leaf springs listed on cruiser corp 2.5" Lifted Leaf Spring, Rear - Heavy Constant - CS002R, FJ40, BJ 1958-1984 will work for the lv? Is there something else I should consider to level it out? Thank you in advance for any help/guidance you can provide.

View attachment 1960578

sorry i missed this. I would have rather spent the money with you. Lesson is slowing down a little. How's your project coming along? any tips regarding replacing the weather stripping for rear tailgate and hatch? How about windshield weather stripping? No worries.
No worries, I have yet to work on the LV. Currently have a 76 Fj40, 93 Fzj80, and 98Uzj projects going on. I did find a front heater for my 45LV. SCORE!

I'm not sure Mr. T would release a vehicle with different sized rims? What size would the spare be? On the off chance they were different then the rolling height would have to be the same so both axles don't bind up when in 4WD; meaning the sagging rear end would have to be due to something else, potentially just tired springs. The 45V/LV rear guard is significantly lower too, contributing the issue.
Yeah, thank you for that. That makes way more sense then having 2 different sized rims. When i have too much time think i am excellent at over complicating an issue.

No worries, I have yet to work on the LV. Currently have a 76 Fj40, 93 Fzj80, and 98Uzj projects going on. I did find a front heater for my 45LV. SCORE!
Would happen to have an image of the front heater you found for yours? I have one in mine and have no idea it's origin. It looks like a cross between a squirrel fan and leaf blower. Wondering if that's what yours looks like. No worries and you have some pretty sweet projects underway.

so it's been a while. We are making progress.
The OME 45 kit from Cruiser Outfitters is what I used and it works well. Perfect with 33" tires. The ride is stiff but good. I think my bench seat is what bounces most. Nice level stance. View attachment 1960724
Looking closer at your vehicle and it appears you put 3 point seat belts on driver side. Did you cut a section in your pillar to reinforce then install? What model did you use? No worries, just curious as I go back and forth whether to add or not.

Yes, I put them on both sides. I got them from seat belt planet online. I did open up the inside of the pillar to insert a backing plate and attached nut. I drilled out a few spot welds on the inside and made a cut across so I could lift the inner sheet enough to slide the plate in and tack it through some holes I drilled. Then bent it back down and reattached.
IMG_3262.JPG

The drivers side is working fine but the passenger side is getting twisted on the seat frame. I mounted the retracters to the angle piece in each corner at the bottom of the pillar. Where I like the seat puts the bottom of the seat frame out over the retracters and the belt does not have a straight lead back in to the spool.
IMG_1069.JPG
IMG_1070.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom