1964 FJ40- how to remove transfer case? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all, I pulled out the original drivetrain today and want to retain the transfer case for another project. The rig hasn't run in 20 years but the transfer case turned easily by hand. I removed the two long bolts that hold it to the transmission and the huge nut on the end of the tranny output shaft (?) or whatever that is under the dome cover. But the transfer won't budge. Are there more bolts inside the transfer case holding it to the transmission?

Thanks!

There are more bolts inside tye xfr case. IIRC you can get to them through the PTO cover.

Many thanks!

Here is a picture with the bolt locations from Spectors web site
068A2.gif

Excellent idea - I should have gone there first. Thanks a ton! I totally missed that lower "1"

I removed the two long bolts that hold it to the transmission and the huge nut on the end of the tranny output shaft (?) or whatever that is under the dome cover.

Hey, know this is an old post, but did you have to do anything special to remove the nut on that shaft? Been working on it quite a while and it won't budge. It's not reverse threaded is it? I've tried both directions now. Thanks

Standard thread. If you put a prybar across the parking brake drum studs, you should be able to hold the gears still enough to break the nut loose. That or pull the side cover and put a wedge between the imput and idler gears temporarily.

Best

Mark A.

You remembered to push back the lock tab, correct?

Check the lock tab and the stake nut. A little work with a die grinder or Dermal tool on the stake might help.

I had to use a 3/4" breaker bar with a 3' cheater on it to get mine off.

Have checked the lock tab, guess I'll double check and maybe go at it with the grinder and try again. Thanks for the replies all

An air wrench with a socket is really the easiest way, if you can get it up there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom