1964 FJ40 Gas Tank Woes/Options (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello again everyone!

After struggling with fuel issues for a while and finding a bunch of junk in my fuel lines and filter, I decided to finally pull my gas tank. The previous owner said that they had the tank boiled out back in 2020 and there was a tag on the tank from the place that did it as well that confirms this, but it seemed that the tank's coating was peeling off and there was some minor surface rust. So after scanning the forums for a little while and getting a quote of up to $600 from a local shop to take it all apart and clean it up and reseal it. I first cleaned the majority of the junk out using diluted muriatic acid which did wonders for getting the majority of the junk out of the tank, followed by high pressured water and then alcohol to remove the water and leave behind a dry tank. I then got a bunch of fencing staples and rattled them around for a day, removing even more junk, and came to the conclusion that a lot of rust was present in the tank than I thought. I then used the Por15 degreaser, surface etching/prep, and sealer, and all seemed to go well. I checked back after a week and found that all the sealer that was on the bottom of the tank came off in one giant flake and that the surface behind it looked even rustier than before! I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about what could have happened and had any suggestions on what gas tank I should get. It seems difficult to find a new 1964 tank so I was also wondering if it was an option to get a tank from a later model and just cap off the stuff I don't need. The previous owners put in a stainless steel secondary tank so I am gonna drop that today and check it out as well.

Thanks!

Here are some photos of the aftermath of the tank, so far I am leaning towards getting a new one. I was hoping the other tank had a sending unit in it or something, but all it had was stale gas.

IMG_5159.jpeg

IMG_5161.jpeg

IMG_5154.jpeg

I'm not certain the difference, if any, between the tank in yours and my 76, but a new one is available from Toyota for my 76. I bought a reproduction from CCOT before I found out the OEM tank could still be sourced. I currently have a polymer tank in mine, it's smaller in capacity and I think it leaks fumes. I would not recommend that option.

You've already spent the cost of a tank in my opinion messing around with the old one.

If that square box is your tank, you've surpassed my knowledge. 🤐

I'm not certain the difference, if any, between the tank in yours and my 76, but a new one is available from Toyota for my 76. I bought a reproduction from CCOT before I found out the OEM tank could still be sourced. I currently have a polymer tank in mine, it's smaller in capacity and I think it leaks fumes. I would not recommend that option.

You've already spent the cost of a tank in my opinion messing around with the old one.

If that square box is your tank, you've surpassed my knowledge. 🤐
That’s good to know! Thanks! I’ll look through Toyota then as well. I’ve only put ~100 into this tank for all the treatments and sealer I’ve bought, I was trying to save some money. I am curious about the differences between the different year gas tanks, I haven’t seen anything on the forums, but maybe I need to look again. The squareish one is a secondary tank the previous owner put in. I should probably post full pics of the main tank as well.

The aux. rear tanks can be found but have not seen a new one or know if NWMP makes them anymore, they may be gone. Have found some aftermarket alumin. tanks that have similar domensions.

Were you ever able to find a replacement tank and if so would you mind sharing where you got it? We are needing a new tank for our 1964 Land Cruiser and cant seem to find one. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

North West Metal Products, years ago,(maybe still) they made a rear aux tank similar to Downey's, out of steel, pick up in front pass corner

downey is still making his nylon ones for the rear of the vehicle. they are very nice. and they’ll never rust! you do need to add an extra fuel filler though

The Downey tank is nice and I believe Jim is having another batch made. I’ve removed my original 1967 tank and am just going to run the aftermarket one. Picking up the skid plate tomorrow.
IMG_4787.jpeg

The submerged fuel pump to the left is something I installed, the center plate is drilled for a fuel quantity sender and supply/return lines (I’m not using those). The sender I purchased from Dakota Digital. Easy install with the tub off but it will install easily from the bottom.

I just went through the same issue, used the Por system to the tee and didn't work. I found a new OEM toyota tank for my 69. Your nearby Toyota dealer can find one and have it shipped to the dealership. The dealership gave me the part number and I found it online about $100 cheaper. Note: the new tank leaked at the fuel filler connection and fuel supply connection, I used some type of metal sealer and no issues after, plus got a few dollars back from the Toyota dealership that shipped it.

I did my tank back in the 80's with alcohol resistant liner from JC Whitney. Had a seep along a section of the seam. Tank was rust free inside for the most part. Still leak free.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom