1964 fj40 eng swap to a 1972 question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I have a 1964 with a 1972 engine with a 3spd on the floor.....
To do this conversion what was updated to 1972 besides the engine....This swap has me confused when i'm looking for parts:confused:....I'm not sure what oem stuff still fits and what has been updated to 1972.....for instince I need new Master clutch and slave cyclinders & a tune up kit and a Carb kit.....
Also my gas pedal sits really close to the floor and is "kinda stiff"
can I do any adjustments or do i need a new speedo cable/pedal/etc

Thanks ,
Tony

put a 2f in my 64 only change was the engine.64 should have a 1/4inch metal line from master to slave ,newer would be 3/16ths.photos would help.

Agreed...pictures would help.

What do you plan to do with your rig? If your master is shot, and you are not a purist, then I would suggest a dual circuit master...but again, we need to know what your plans are, so that we can try to help you out :)

Welcome to mud :beer:

I would also check your axles also. Companion flange holes on the axles in 64 were 8 mm, holes on 72 would have been 10 mm. My 1962 has a 1971 engine, transmission and transfer case. PO I got it from never drove or worked on it. But a PO who did the swap used the 71 drive shafts and just used 8mm bolts, yet the drive shaft holes were 10mm. Not sure if they ever drove it after the swap or not. But it was a very bad thing to do. I drilled out the flange holes so they are all 10mm, but now about to put 1977 axles under it anyway. I agree if you replace the master cylinder replace with a dual circuit. I am putting one in from a late 90's geo metro with the booster. Its smaller size will fit better without hitting the carb. Several people on this site have used that setup with good success.

Best thing is to search this site and post pictures with questions. People on here will tell you more information from a picture then you thought possible.

well my plans have totally changed. at first i had plans to do a full restore but i have bought some american muscle, 69 camaro rs and could use all the $ i can on this restoration..

I have pix of under the hood but cant post em?

any reason why?
IMAG0039.jpg
IMAG0040.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom