Builds 1964 FJ40 Build

Joined
Aug 6, 2005
Messages
1,641
Location
Corpus Christi/Austin, Texas
Started working on the Front Axle next....
Copy (2) of P1010004 - MUD.jpg
Copy (2) of P1010005 - MUD.jpg
Copy (2) of P1010006_edited - MUD.jpg
 
Joined
Feb 12, 2005
Messages
808
Location
Hollister, CA
Website
www.bww.com
Man, that is coming along really good. Keep us updated and keep those pics comin.
 
Joined
Aug 6, 2005
Messages
1,641
Location
Corpus Christi/Austin, Texas
I started going through the brakes next..

Put all new:
-wheel cylinders
-shoes
-return springs

And on the drums and drum plates I did a little prep with a wire wheel, then painted them with a galvanizing compound, and then a high temp paint.
P1010010 - MUd.jpg
P1010011 - MUD.jpg
P1010009 - MUD.jpg
 
Joined
Aug 6, 2005
Messages
1,641
Location
Corpus Christi/Austin, Texas
After the two axles I took the tranny (TH350) to be rebuilt. As I came to find out I didn't have some of the special tools needed.

I used a Raptor rebuilt kit, so I guess it can be considered a Raptor Transmission.



This is a pic of the T-case and tranny installed along with the axles, suspension, and driveshafts, steering, and Mini - truck powersteering.
P1010026 - MUD.jpg
 
Joined
May 5, 2004
Messages
1,431
Location
Mill Valley, CA
are you leaving the ball and claw front end in the truck with a 350 .... i mean i know that the ball and claw stuff it pretty strong but 350 strong?
 
Joined
Jan 31, 2006
Messages
68
Location
Sparks, Nevada
Do you have your own parts washer to wash all your T-Case parts and what not for your axle? And yes why didn't you go with a newer style front end?
 
Joined
May 5, 2004
Messages
1,431
Location
Mill Valley, CA
rogersfj401969 said:
are you leaving the ball and claw front end in the truck with a 350 .... i mean i know that the ball and claw stuff it pretty strong but 350 strong?


I guess i should of read a bit more

406 SBC "Muy Torque" - Completely Rebuilt
 
Joined
Aug 6, 2005
Messages
1,641
Location
Corpus Christi/Austin, Texas
I'm really not to worried about the brakes. I know that I will have to push hard to stop, but it's a Landcruiser not a Camry.

I also know that the front axle is weak, especially with the 406. I left it open diff in hopes to keep it together. When I was done rebuilding the front that is when I discovered that it is not that strong. So for now I'am going to go by the saying "Don't fix it if it ain't broken."



my64fj40
 
Joined
Aug 6, 2005
Messages
1,641
Location
Corpus Christi/Austin, Texas
62 Dust Collector said:
Do you have your own parts washer to wash all your T-Case parts and what not for your axle? And yes why didn't you go with a newer style front end?


I used alot of solvent, a wire brush, a file, and a bunch of time.

It was so dirty when I dropped it from the chassis I couldn't tell it was aluminum, except for it being susprising light.


I'll try to get a few more pics tonight.




-my64fj40
 
Joined
Aug 27, 2005
Messages
201
Location
Roseville
my64fj40 said:
I'm really not to worried about the brakes. I know that I will have to push hard to stop, but it's a Landcruiser not a Camry.

I also know that the front axle is weak, especially with the 406. I left it open diff in hopes to keep it together. When I was done rebuilding the front that is when I discovered that it is not that strong. So for now I'am going to go by the saying "Don't fix it if it ain't broken."



my64fj40

It might be something to consider to go with at least front wheel disc brakes, seeing as you are running 35" tires. At least do it for safety reasons. Looks like you are doing a nice job on your build up, cant wait to see it done.

35" tires with drum brakes = :crybaby: :doh:

Fman
 
Joined
Aug 6, 2005
Messages
1,641
Location
Corpus Christi/Austin, Texas
62 Dust Collector said:
Was the POR 15 Grey and Black Chassis Coat paint on, roll on or spray on? Soon as I get moved I am taking the old 62' down to the frame!


I bought it and the can said it can be applied either way. I ended up rolling/brushing it on. It goes on so soomth that it looks like it was sprayed on..

Good luck with your cruiser, does your's have the old school hard top with it. Personally I think the old top look the best.



-my64fj40
 
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom