Builds 1964-1984 FJ40 - "I got it one piece at a time..." (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Alright, because of the FJ40 that @thecrazygreek built I had to test this paint scheme for my hard top. I definitely feel like this is v1.0 out of many, but the pewter Gray does not go great with the green in my opinion. So far mustard yellow (or some version of it) is still the favorite. Here is the result of the test case.
80125904-B54A-4297-808B-9AC70431EBFC.jpeg
5BF6CE1D-F227-446E-8CDE-062FFAC5036E.jpeg
0C627340-CD80-4987-A809-A71D35E95277.jpeg
21F7A8EE-391E-4E95-9039-B3B20274CCB5.jpeg
8DB28E91-C821-4496-AAFD-E1B7438E469B.jpeg

Blasting uncovered a multitude of sins.. it's been bent and fixed/patched alot,. Before you order alot of stuff try fixing some small stuff,. Except for the pitting and rust holes that isn't that bad.. (have to remember these wernt galvanized).

The rust thru can be patched,. Take some measurements that tub has been bent just so you have a baseline and weld some braces in the doors and rear once you have it square.. (porta power for major moves). the mild pitting you can use high build primer sealer on,. I would cut out the major stuff and patch,. Passenger floor replace but the quarters take a hammer and a map gas torch to,. A big peice of angle iron clamped to one side to check for straightness and hit against helps.. body work is a good stress releiver especially with cruiser steel, map gas helps get it to move (start with something bigger than a body hammer). helps remember this isn't gm paper thin stuff..

It will take some time but I have seen alot worse..

My body guy saw the parts yesterday and he was less concerned than I am. He is going to assess the parts more carefully and tell me what he thinks. The floors are really bad. Pictures don’t show how pitted and thin they are. The inner and outer rockers are also pretty bad. The big flat pieces didn’t scare my body guy at all, he just didn’t like the quilt work of patches that the previous owner did, and the patches were done with thinner metal than OEM.

Finally completed the PTO Winch Rebuild. Took forever to find someone who felt comfortable welding the ears back on. Nobody likes welding cast parts. Thanks to @piecemeal for selling it to me. Although this was a learning experience, it looks like I am not going with a PTO setup after all, so this will make somebody @scoobiedubes happy.

Before...
IMG_3668.jpg

Finally completed the PTO Winch Rebuild. Took forever to find someone who felt comfortable welding the ears back on. Nobody likes welding cast parts. Thanks to @piecemeal for selling it to me. Although this was a learning experience, it looks like I am not going with a PTO setup after all, so this will make somebody @scoobiedubes happy.

Before...
View attachment 2410317
Gonna look beautiful on the front of the 28! Thanks Brian!

I have always planned on keeping at least one part of this build unrestored, and I am thinking this may be the piece. I have asked @dmamj to chime in on whether or not this set is complete or if any of the parts are incorrect. If he says it is complete, I think I will leave it AS-IS and put it in my FJ40 when it is complete.
IMG_5112.jpg
s-l1600 (1).jpg
IMG_5114.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom