Builds 1963 FJ45LP SWB Fixed Top "Sweet Simplicity" (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That’s a great idea on the screws. Any idea as to what was original? I’m unfamiliar with metric sheet metal screws, and I would guess there’s some kind of washer used as well?
here is a pic of the screws. I have removed these same screws from more than vehicle so believe them to be OEM

screws.jpg

Thanks. Do you think those are M3’s?

Could be similar to seat-back retaining screws.

@Racer65 (or anyone who might know) does your Roof Weatherstrip / Seal for Land Cruiser FJ45 fit the fixed top FJ45’s? I know the fixed top cabs are not as long as the removeable cabs by a few inches, but was wondering if a little trimming would make this fit - not sure about hole alignment either. Thanks for any info.

I think the rear radius is a little tighter on the fixed top. I have a used one you can have if you want to experiment. Think it’s your only choice unless Roger wants to do the shorties!

It looks like the hole alignment might be off too, at least the holes in the area of the corners. @whitey45 I'll certainly try your used one, it's more than I have now (just rust, lol). Let me know details. Thanks!

My Fixed tops have a vintage car type fender welt on the outside and an L shaped rubber over the inside edge. I have bought some welt and found a U shaped rubber and i will trim one side off the U to copy the original rubber style

Interesting. Do you cut notches in the welt to get it around the corners? And the bead would go to the outside? What's the L shaped rubber for on the inside edge?

I wonder if I could use welt to keep the original look of the seal between the windshield frame and the cowl (early posts show the issue for this rig)? Maybe I can insert a section from each side so it has the "bump" but I'd still need to seal with some seam sealer somehow. :hmm:

Last edited:
Interesting. Do you cut notches in the welt to get it around the corners? And the bead would go to the outside? What's the L shaped rubber for on the inside edge?

I wonder if I could welt to keep the original look of the seal between the windshield frame and the cowl (early posts show the issue for this rig)? Maybe I can insert a section from each side so it has the "bump" but I'd still need to seal with some sealant somehow. :hmm:
yes the corners have cuts in them, the bead to the outside. Yes L shaped rubber on the inside, ill see if a have any remnants left to take a pic

Michael is that for a fixed top? (Brian is looking for a used one he's offered up)

@Racer65 yeah there are two different tops, a fixed top and a removeable top which is a bit larger than the fixed top.

I used a FJ40 seal on my first fixed top restoration, I had to cut the corners so it would follow the tighter turn that the fixed top makes and shorten it. It came out ok. I have a removable top LBP/SWB seal to use on my next fixed top.

Paul,
Let me know if there’s anything you need hauled up from @whitey45. We live fairly close and I am planning on heading up to Boise after new year’s with my son. Back to BSU.

Thanks Ken @KT40! There’s probably a whole lot of stuff I could use that Brian @whitey45 has, the problem though is he most likely would rather keep it 😆! Go Broncos (interesting bowl with Coach Pete‘s last game being against the Broncos).

I knew I was going to have to do some interior painting because of the floor replacement work (and dash). I thought maybe a blending of old with new (somehow, lol). I started to spray primer along the seams that need seam sealer, but I just kept spraying. Looks like I’m painting at least the whole floor now 😃! I know, I know, “Keep Spraying!”
IMG_2410.JPG

New metal gets new paint. Make new look old or old look new? I’ll sleep on it, have to come off my paint (and primer and seam sealer) high 😆.
IMG_2412.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom