Builds 1963 FJ45LP SWB Fixed Top "Sweet Simplicity" (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

No, it’s closed welded at the ends which would require major cutting.

Never had a fixed window, very odd Toyota decision, you are definitely the only known source now for info!! And only a handful remain, as they are very early and a short run. Then they had a fold down, with solid non hinged hinges! Then the removable top came along and hinges at last!!

Thanks Brian and Michael for voicing in. We’re in trouble if I’m the only voice! I think @FJ40Jim and @D’Animal have fixed windshields, maybe Mark @3_puppies? Maybe they have some input on this, haven’t seen anything in their build/owners threads though.

Brian @whitey45 do you have any source material on these rigs?

Very slow progress with paint stripping, etc. Below freezing temps have kept me inside the shop doing this so I can’t be as messy. Someday.

But the real slowdown came because I had to send my chief inspector home. Lizzy was my original bird dog, long time friend who bestowed endless unconditional love. I was hoping to give her a ride in the 45😞. It’s been hard to go back to it since I failed her but the build is now dedicated to her. She loved the 40, it was the hunting rig. I’ll miss her for a very long time.

Sweet Lizzy
34B07DD0-2D12-4149-BB86-0E1E77FAA11C.jpeg

Her first pheasant back 2007
23686D59-2E89-4B52-9772-C55F0804008A.jpeg

1Tim4:4

Last edited:
I'm so sorry for your loss. I know I will never forget my best dog and I lost him in 78'.

Well back to chasing the original paint fairy. Lizzy told me to keep at it, and she’s the boss, always.

Looks like whoever rattle caned this just sprayed brown primer over the original paint wherever they had access. Obviously not between bed and cab, and also not anywhere in the interior. Wherever the primer overspray was applied i can leave the citrus stripper on longer to work both rattlecan layers, and the original paint seems to be less brittle. Have no idea how long this thing was painted over but maybe that saved some of the outside original paint from environmental decay. I made it to the overspray primer line on the back today. Not as shiny as new paint on the bottom but not bad for 56yrs.
IMG_2361.JPG

From here...
IMG_2363.JPG

...to here required wet sanding, several scotchbrite sponges and time. At 95+%, I’ll continue around the sides to see what’s there before spending too much time polishing this turd. No filler here!
IMG_2364.JPG

Oven cleaner and goof off “melt” and smear the paint to be removed, and then it’s a challenge to scrub it off without impacting the keeper paint. That’s what that spot is on the middle-ish right side in pics is. Careful application and ”timed” removal of paint stripper (citristrip) has been the most controllable for me. I even use a bit of light scrapping while the stripper is working as spots start to show bubbling. That removes the paint and the stripper so it only has a chance to get the top layer. Mostly. 😆

IMG_2381.JPG
IMG_2382.JPG
IMG_2383.JPG
IMG_2384.JPG

@1MAC did you figure something out on your hood hinges? I’m in that boat and mine are the same BJ5225 thingys.

Another challenge: the hood hinges. Early 40s used hinges that (I think) had a pin pressed into one half. Time has not been kind to them and mine came with a big bolt run through them held in place with a square nut. It looks like others on here have worked out varying solutions, including a stainless steel pin retained with a C-clip.
If you look closely, you'll see they have some numbers cast into them. Looks like "BJ5225".

View attachment 1364964

Yeah I’m chasing that damn cat (curiosity) again.

@Mikesta i have the same hinges and one of them has the same Allen wrench bolt that you show in the middle pic. Is this stock anyone or an incredible coincidence? (Yeah really old link)
It is according to these hood hinges.

ya know if your read Japaneese... would you know what a number / letter actually is?

BJ parts on a FJ.

It Reads BJ 5225 on the top of the hinge.
View attachment 27088View attachment 27089View attachment 27090

Yes. And doors, gas tank, trans tunnel, tool box lid, even the instrument bezel and glove box door (until I made them pewter).

Approaching another decision point. That’ll make about 20 decisions still left to make, lol. These early fixed top 45s had Masonite-like panels on the interior upper part of the rear cab. There was one small piece left on this rig. I’ve seen a few discussions about these on this forum. The panels (one flat around the rear slider windows, and a bent one in each corner) are attached to the cab frame support members using some kind of sheet screw. So there’s a bunch of leftover holes. Easy pop fill with welder if I don’t reinstall something. Just have to touch up paint around each hole (interior painting extent is still 3 of the 20 decisions to make). If I replace the panels (of some sort) I’ll have to figure out how to template the hole patterns onto the new pieces. Just not sure those panels make sense, not one of Toyota’s stellar designs. I don’t believe there was any insulation or sound deadener behind these, the lower cab didn’t have any of this nonsense. For anybody reading, and having an early fixed top, what’s the status of your interior wallboard?

I have one that is out of the vehicle at the moment, would be happy to take some reference pics if you need it. Looks like steam bent Masonite. If you are not going to fit one i would just put old screws in the holes

That’s a great idea on the screws. Any idea as to what was original? I’m unfamiliar with metric sheet metal screws, and I would guess there’s some kind of washer used as well?

Jingle Bells 🎶 🎵 🎶. Thanks Duke @offkilter .

Not the exact match for a ‘63 but close enough.
IMG_2403.JPG

Goes well with the handle and rod I got from Dan @dmamj ! Not even sure I know what STO stands for. Short TakeOff? 😝
IMG_2408.JPG

Now I need the tool box jack bracket.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom