Builds 1963 FJ45LP SWB Fixed Top "Sweet Simplicity" (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

middlecalf

SILVER Star
Threads
Well, here goes. I picked this rig up in Nevada on 11/19/17 (previous f/s thread with more pics For Sale - 1963 FJ45 ), now it sits in front of my barn (hence name) for the winter. The new shop gets ground breaking tomorrow (12/1/17) so she'll have to wait until it's done to move inside. And that's when the real tear down will start. I've started a little bit (the top is off and in the barn, hence the tarp, along with the fuel tank). I'll pick at it a little while outside, mainly to curb anymore rust growth and to get a start into parts-acquisition (and tool acquisition). I've treated a lot of the external rust areas with rust converter to hold until the resto - my main objective - gets underway. I suspect the resto will need a few deviations, but this will be as stock as possible (so I guess a resto-mod). I don't mud or rockcrawl except when I'm hauling stuff (salt, protein) to the bovine-in-residence, and I don't need a street rig for mall-hopping, have that already. This will be a work truck. In that sense, I don't need it now because I have '65 FJ40 that fills the gap between my horse-hauling pickup, four-wheeler (atv) and tractor, LOL. So this is ultimately a project rig, and in that sense I BETTER HAVE FUN with it (so says the wife). Just a few pics to start this thread:

VIN Tag - Says it's a '63. Any ideas as to month? Haven't checked to see if engine (motor) is one listed.
IMG_0922.JPG

Sweet Simplicity (sign from barn PO)
IMG_0921.JPG

Is this picture a good metaphor, or what? (cue Matt Redman)
IMG_0927.JPG

Thanks for viewing. I'll be updating this as I go along, and posting questions about what I have, what I don't have, and what I need. Appreciate the help. Finally picked up a silverstar to help this great forum. Cheers and happy cruisin'.

Paul

Nice rig Paul. I look forward to the rebuild and welcome to the club! I have never seen the lpb version of a 63/64. Very interesting truck.

Hey thanks guys.

Dom - I've been following your build, learned a lot from what you've been through in your quest to keep original. Good stuff.

I'll be posting a list of stuff I know I need in a couple of days, these will be the easily discovered things before tear down occurs. But some of the stuff I don't need right away since I'm not pushing to get a mechanical run first. I'm mostly worried about unobtanium things right now. (And obviously, I need a tailgate that matches the early smooth-side bed, and a bezel that's embossed - yeah right!!).

Last edited:
Paul,
The bezel is being reproduced and there are tailgates being made for 40's that might work for you as well.

Nice rig. You could always get a repop embossed bezel. Not sure but isn't the tailgate the same as a fst tailgate? If yes, then it can be found.

Looks like a great base for a restoration! Glad to hear you'll be putting the old girl to work on the farm when she is finished. That's what they really want to do anyways... no hanging out in climate controlled garages waiting for the occasional Sunday ride. They were meant to be work horses :D

I look forward to your build.

Without a roof, you might want to put a sheet of plywood under that tarp to prevent a heavy snow from caving it in.

CC - Thanks. I’m aspiring to your level of resto skill, we’ll see:cheers:

Bear - good call, I have some boards under the tarp just for any snow load. Thanks.

Tancruiser - I grew up in Steamboat. In fact, I got my first taste of Land Cruisers there, but not because we owned one. My friends’ folks did lol. We had a piano because that’s what my mom wanted us to have. None of us played it.

I need to follow-up on the fst tailgate potential. The bed will need a fair amount of rework, and the availability of a valid tailgate will keep me motivated toward keeping the bed original.

Last edited:
Very nice project! I'm positive you will loads of fun. Welcome.

Ok, day 2 (lol am I nuts yet?).

Let’s talk spare tire racks. This rig has the holes and upper support bracket in the bed’s right rear quarter panel just like my 65 FJ40 (lower support bracket is missing along with most of sill- rust demon - as well as the tire catch clamp bracket). I’m assuming a swing out tire rack. Are these the same for the 40’s and 45’s, and same through early 60’s timeframe?

@pardion, pretty sure John has a few, they are the same as 4O’s. Your truck is a very early one as the windshield is fixed without hinges. Great project, get ready to empty your wallet!

VeloSolex:rofl:

Finally got around to doing some number verifying. Engine not original but not surprised (assuming vin tag is authentic - see later poor image on frame no. check)
IMG_0933.JPG

But that opens a door for other engine possibilities since I have no clue if the one “installed” (lol there’s one bolt holding it in) runs or will run. That’s a much later bridge to cross. I think it’s a Feb 1 1964 block? F or F135 (are those different?)? I’m becoming an expert in cluelessness. Can’t remember what the 42 means.
IMG_0931.JPG

What do the rearward driver side block numbers mean?
IMG_0932.JPG

Barely able to verify that frame and vin no’s match. I can make out the 5 - 1304 and maybe the 8 on the frame. A bit too much material removal in its past, but I think they match.
IMG_0944.JPG

Found one serious frame issue in front of driver’s side rear spring shakle. This might move me to undo frame rivets, fix, cleanup and bolt back together like some recent threads have shown. Of course, I’ve never done that so add another clueless possible road adventure to my already cluelessness expertise.
IMG_0934.JPG

Where’s my wallet?

Last edited:
But the shop has started (ok excavation, but :bounce:). Soon I won’t have to crawl around on the ground to expand my cluelessness!
A4EE2019-CD99-447D-865D-AA7B1A35F96D.jpeg

CC - Thanks. I’m aspiring to your level of resto skill, we’ll see:cheers:

Bear - good call, I have some boards under the tarp just for any snow load. Thanks.

Tancruiser - I grew up in Steamboat. In fact, I got my first taste of Land Cruisers there, but not because we owned one. My friends’ folks did lol. We had a piano because that’s what my mom wanted us to have. None of us played it.

I need to follow-up on the fst tailgate potential. The bed will need a fair amount of rework, and the availability of a valid tailgate will keep me motivated toward keeping the bed original.

Not much cruiser stuff going on here, but the foundation walls and footing for the shop are in place and curing. Next week gets backfilling and either slab or framing, not sure.
IMG_0964.JPG

Thanks
Oh yeah, this is a a cruiser tech forum. So here's a list of easy identifiable stuff I need (at some point). If anyone has something they can part with, let me know (pm or email). Any and all stuff right now will go into "storage" as the building for the build is still a bit away. Thanks. Paul

1. Driver’s side bug catcher window and hardware
2. Passenger side bug catcher window hardware (knob and threaded bolt)
3. Grab bar
4. Acorn hubcaps
(but not critical as it will run without them lol). Just front ones with holes for hubs
5. Spare tire rack, clamp bracket, hinges and lower support bracket (I have the upper). Really heavy and bulky item I know! I think this will fit my 63 FJ45 (based on specter off-road site).
6. Radiator screen with Toyota emblem (another bulky item lol!)
7. Bezel (yeah for a 63 probably should be embossed, but talk about unobtanium)
8. Windshield frame vent knob and nut
9. Hood spear
10. Front marker lights
11. Gas cap (if original acorn embossed)
12. Horn button (if original with Toyota emblem)
13. FD ( front drive) knob
14. Glove box knob
15. Engine fan shroud (if original for F135 motor)
16. Plastic cones for rear tail lights
17. Front door hand pull (& fastener)
18. Bib hinge
19. Front door access panels (2)
20. FST tailgate (year though?)

21. Driver’s early seat (aka F25 vintage) that sits above toolbox and has lockdown tabs 7” apart (see later post)
22. Windshield wiper arms - early ones (and blades but I think those are still available new)

23. All three splash guards (not radiator)
24. 2 1 Toyota riveted steelies (15”) with clips
25. 2 (I’ll take all 3 if you have them) FST tailgate hinges
26. Front bumper

27. Horn button contact spring and seat
28. Driver’s side horn
29. Voltage regulator (works with ‘67 alternator)

I have some engine needs for sure (e.g. intake manifold and carb - I have an offenhauser dual carb performance manifold that I don’t think I want to use) but those can wait as I don’t think they’re unobtanium yet. Same with drive train (e.g. transfer case, drive shafts, ujoints).

Last edited:
No pic, but you all have seen a 3 on the tree. This has that but none of the linkage to the transmission, so that will be on the list. But one thing I can't figure out yet (with not a lot a tampering, just trying) is why the shift lever only rotates but is not moveable in an "H" pattern. I'm under the assumption this was disassembled sometime in the past and maybe not put back together correctly, but I can't seem to imitate the H pattern movement when trying to show the wife unit how easy this will be for her to drive (LOL!). Any obvious thing I'm missing? Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom