Builds 1963 FJ45LP SWB Fixed Top "Sweet Simplicity" (16 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Anyone have a special technique for getting out theses hanger pins? (Rear fixed shackles). Beating and penetrant so far, maybe some heat next. Need a pusher tool, is there such a beast?
IMG_1441.JPG

Torch it, let the rubber catch fire, put a steel plate under it to catch the drips so your new concrete does not get ruined. It will be a bit smokey.
After a bit the rubber will melt and you can slide out the pins. Quench with water, then remove left over rubber.

Torch it, let the rubber catch fire, put a steel plate under it to catch the drips so your new concrete does not get ruined. It will be a bit smokey.
After a bit the rubber will melt and you can slide out the pins. Quench with water, then remove left over rubber.

That is the normal process I use but I could not get mine to budge even a tiny bit hammering on it.

I’m waiting to have some new old stock or serviceable replacements in hand if I wreck one or both.

Got it, torch it. Thanks. These have to come out and the shackles have to come off the frame because the frame needs repairing in this location (actually the box channel and doubler on the inside of the frame). So are there replacement bushings available for this rig? If so, who/where? Thanks.

Last edited:
Got it, torch it. Thanks. These have to come out and the shackles have to come off the frame because the frame needs repairing in this location (actually the biz channel and doubler on the inside of the frame). So are there replacement bushings available for this rig? If so, who/where? Thanks.

Shackles and springs and Front bushings are FJ40.

Rear bushings are FJ55

FJ55?

When you guys say front and rear bushings, are you referring to front axle and rear axle? If so, then all the bushings are the same size for the front springs (both spring pin and upper/lower shackle) and all the bushings are the same for the rear springs (spring pin and upper/lower shackle)? I spent an hour on SORs website and am more confused. The bushing chart shows part numbers for OEM shackles that no longer exist, and part numbers for “SOR heavy duty shackles” or “Confer shackles” but have no idea if they’re close to OEM sizes.

Nolan are the front and rear OEM part numbers that @ClemsonCruiser posted in your thread all that’s needed for the front (12 of the Toyota front numbers) and rear (12 of the Toyota rear numbers)?

Yes Paul. There are 12 for front and rear and each # covers them all.

Front
06F15C35-4CF6-4241-97B6-A0578F016AD9.jpeg

Rear
FCC5E82B-534D-4D9C-9965-BF5CE2246162.jpeg

And yes I vacation with my parts books :D
DE7F76FA-9243-4BA2-9226-0B2502BAF85C.jpeg

I just wrote this up last week with the correct Specter part number for the rear axle shackle and hanger.

They are FJ55 bushings.

The front axle spring hanger and shackles are FJ40 as are the bushings.

Thanks JP and Nolan. I’m a little less ignorant now.

Is that anywhere near Nags Head JP?

Paul it’s Isle of Palms just north of Charleston, SC. White sandy beaches and fresh seafood life doesn’t get much better!

Hey JP @ClemsonCruiser - happy post 4th!

I ordered some shocks based on your post above with pic from parts book. I ordered 48511-60010 FR and 48531-60050 RR. In other posts I see the 45 shock numbers as 48511-69037 FR and 48531-69059 RR. I haven’t heard any rejection from Camelback T like usual if parts I ordered are NLA. Any idea on difference or correct numbers?

Hey JP @ClemsonCruiser - happy post 4th!

I ordered some shocks based on your post above with pic from parts book. I ordered 48511-60010 FR and 48531-60050 RR. In other posts I see the 45 shock numbers as 48511-69037 FR and 48531-69059 RR. I haven’t heard any rejection from Camelback T like usual if parts I ordered are NLA. Any idea on difference or correct numbers?

Hey Paul the numbers from my parts book likely get superseded but it should be the correct shocks. Those are the numbers I’ve always used with Onur.

Gracias gents. Nolan I'll look through your thread again. Like I don't have anything to do.:p Actually I look through your thread almost daily (and JP's). My fantasy land lol.

Yup, 48531-69059 for the rears. I'll ping Camelback and make sure things are good to go. Also remembered from your thread that I need to add the sway bar rubbers (that's ok to say on an open forum, eh?) to my list for Kurt.

Getting closer on getting the rear springs off so I can get the perches off so I can get the bad rust off so I can put some good stuff back on. So far I've managed to not burn down the house, but I do like the song.

I’m coercing with fire, chemicals, bfh and dialect. So far so good but I still have one pin to get moving. For a brief moment I thought this might be the cats meow but the pin would need to be moved out enough to get under the head: ACME C-Clamp Inboard Boat Propeller Puller

One fixed perch pin is virtually out, the other is starting to move but still has some rubber vigilantes hanging on. I’ll burn their arsses eventually. Got the shackles off. Kind of looks like something you’d find excavating at a medieval castle. Might even be a bit more weathered than I can tolerate. Is there an OEM replacement option? I guess I could go with the sor greaseable shackles (and pins if they’re bad too).
IMG_1461.JPG

Last edited:
We have em OE, Japanese aftermarket, Japanese greasable, greasable, etc :D

One fixed perch pin is virtually out, the other is starting to move but still has some rubber vigilantes hanging on. I’ll burn their arsses eventually. Got the shackles off. Kind of looks like something you’d find excavating at a medieval castle. Might even be a bit more weathered than I can tolerate. Is there an OEM replacement option? I guess I could go with the sor greaseable shackles (and pins if they’re bad too).
View attachment 1738257
Paul those are the worst I’ve ever seen out of a 45..... yikes :eek:. Keep them as badge of honor!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom