Builds 1963 FJ45LP SWB Fixed Top "Sweet Simplicity" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hate to say it - time for a temporary 2F. With retrofitted 135 valve cover of course. Just have to pull the cover every time you wanna top her up with full mineral.

Or do it like this. There is a 2F under there. Note the oil filler retrofitted to the valve cover.
FJ40L WT CARROLL web ready025.jpg

Interesting with the carb, air cleaner, alternator, and brake master. Any other surprises under there?

Interesting with the carb, air cleaner, alternator, and brake master. Any other surprises under there?

The oil cooler, igniter, distributor and overflow jar.

An amazing job of hiding newer technology in plain sight.

They did a nice job on that but the heater valve on the block did give me a chuckle

Sync’d. Better but still not quite there.
IMG_3020.JPG
IMG_3019.JPG

Late ’63 <permanent> placeholder seat in place from @Keepinitstock, redid front seat feet to match early ‘63 triangle tool box latches.
IMG_3024.JPG

I have to quit drinking beer to stay fit(ting).
IMG_3043.JPG

Thought I’d do the doors next since it’s quite the dusty drive on my roads and I need to put some time on the motor. It’s amazing how bad these doors got (driver‘s shown, passenger only slightly better).
IMG_3048.JPG

Had to cut access to get to a couple of spinning weld nuts for repair , one on each hinge:confused:. None on passenger door though, I think.
IMG_3049.JPG

Redid bottom runs of window channels, they were in serious rot. Passenger’s will also need fixing. The driver’s window & roller channel is shown, what’s left of it, only the window part (and Swiss cheese at that), the roller channel is completely gone:oops:. But I do have the rubber (a bit dry though).
IMG_3050.JPG

Passenger channel salvageable. Any chance of finding a driver’s? Or I guess more inventing/building.
IMG_3051.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks John @pardion. I think those are later uppers than my ‘63. The tabs on the forward channel are offset vice on top of the channel. I’m rebuilding the ones I have.

Finally got the driver‘s door rusted metal replaced, lower ends on both sides as well as where the window channels bolt to that were rotted along with the lower ends of the channels, and the hinge weld nut access holes I had to make to fix the problem weld nuts.
IMG_3055.JPG
IMG_3056.JPG

That‘s a big flat panel on the outside, very subject to warping and oil canning. Tried my best to keep all that in check using flux core, TIG would have been best but I’m not experienced at all in that. The brown heat spots are my attempt to get the oil canning in control, mostly good to go. As my wife would say, better than it was.

Passenger not as bad but still some rot to work on, including the window channels.

Last edited:
I had a fantasy that I’d find a painted emblem under the ex-blue paint that said “Acme Salt Mining Company.” That would have explained why this rig was so rusted, but no go. Just a smidgeon of the yellow 2nd paint job was all.

IMG_3070.jpg

Driver‘s door almost back together, waiting for the clips from SOR for the glass rubber weather strip.

Love the roof snow pattern.
IMG_3089.JPG

I too have super secret engine stuff going on with the 45. A consortium of a Duck and a Bronco? Even a Beaver? Is that possible?

Last edited:
Ok, maybe not so super sexy as some of the other engine builds, but maybe a little.

I haven’t been able to figure out the slow-speed to high-speed carb issue with the dual carter carbs, so I pulled the lever on the pair of big window Aisins that Mark @cppilot was selling. He was planning on using these on a dual carb offenhauser setup, but changed his plans, so hopefully I can carry on with those plans on my rig and get it running. I’ll have to work through linkage setup and fuel line setup differences, but hoping those are not too much different from the carter setup. Keyster kits will get installed too. Get to use my POTUS administration-approved gun smithing screwdrivers from Taiwan 😆. Mark also provided a single carb manifold (and exhaust manifold and the carb insulator thingy) so if this doesn’t work or I decide to go full original I have that option. These carbs date to ‘63, so matches the rig but the non-original motor is a ‘64, close enough.
IMG_3093.JPG

Oh yeah, I’m sort of a Boise State Bronco fan (they’re local 😂), Mark is an Oregon Duck (I think?), and my BIL who lives in Salem Oregon (that’s where the manifolds will be delivered) is an Oregon State Beaver. Quite the consortium!:clap:

Last edited:
That’s RIGHT ! Go DUCKS......

That might be too much hot rod for me @Texican. I really don’t even need the two carb setup, mostly just doing it cuz that’s what I got and I’m hard headed. My dad occasionally called me knothead. Which of course I take as a compliment as my best hunting Brittany has a serious knot head.

Finished the drivers door and installed. Was surprised how little adjustment was needed for a good-enough fit. Even have the bug catcher in (replacement from Paul @3_puppies as original was missing), and a working door lock, 😆.
IMG_3106.JPG
IMG_3105.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom