Builds 1963 FJ45LP SWB Fixed Top "Sweet Simplicity" (12 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So I’ve read that the larger threads are 5mm, don’t know about pitch. That doesn’t leave much room for some sort of insert (except epoxy lol). And those early knobs are beyond unobtanium as best I can tell. Looks like I’ll have to invent a knob.

So when you pull down the lever, does the right angled bar catch the flange on the metal sleeve or the knob itself? I don’t have a viable system to look at (my ‘65 is PO modified).

Or I could make a coupler of sorts, something that threads onto those bigger threads and then necks down to 5mm threads for the knob. Any idea as to the size of those bigger threads John @pardion ?

So I’ve read that the larger threads are 5mm, don’t know about pitch. That doesn’t leave much room for some sort of insert (except epoxy lol). And those early knobs are beyond unobtanium as best I can tell. Looks like I’ll have to invent a knob.

So when you pull down the lever, does the right angled bar catch the flange on the metal sleeve or the knob itself? I don’t have a viable system to look at (my ‘65 is PO modified).
The shift handle's right angle bar pulls out the large hex flange, NOT the knob. I am not aware of two different thread pitches on the FWD knob, I was guessing when I said 4MM I'll double check.

Or I could make a coupler of sorts, something that threads onto those bigger threads and then necks down to 5mm threads for the knob. Any idea as to the size of those bigger threads John @pardion ?
I bet if you have some soft small wire, you could thread it in the stud, and that might fill in the voids. Mono filament fishing line might work.

Ah yes, some small leaded or copper wire. I’ll give that a shot!

5mm-.80 in that first photo I did not show an all important jam nut to keep the F.D knob right side up.
54CAF806-77C0-405B-A1EF-060FAF1E9FB1.jpeg
98A960EE-96B0-48AF-88BE-62E3A699A43D.jpeg

Middlecalf,

The F.D knobs I have here are either the JIS type which are M4-0.75 or the standard ISO type which are M5.

Also the M4 knobs have a slightly thinner face, only visible from the side.

This all goes back to the worldwide standardization in the 1960s, with Toyota dragging their feet in implementing it as rapidly as was done by the other signatories.

The F.D knobs I have here are either the JIS type which are M4-0.75...
Dug out tap/die set and that’s what my front drive cable threads are, M4-0.75. The F.D knob I have has threads close to M5-0.9, maybe 0.85 don’t have the exact tap. What is the pitch on the standard ISO M5’s?

All the M5 knobs I have are M5-0.80, standard ISO threading, which is the metric spec still in use today.

Both the M4 and M5 knobs use a brass threaded insert.

The later M5 knob with the indented face uses a steel insert.

HTH

Wasn’t paying attention when I removed and repaired my rusted tool box, I only have one of the lock thingys. Anybody know if these are available? And how do these work, is there a strap that runs from one side to the other and has a lock? There aren’t any clips on the lid like the later tool box locks.
IMG_2496.JPG
IMG_2497.JPG

Ok, hinge hinge connected by strap and two locks. Got it.

@ozcrusier that square under seat tool box and front lock clamp coincides with a mid-late ‘63 model. Looks like someone mod‘d one on the seat hold down clamps to a hood/windshield clamp. Do you have more pics of the seats?

When the seat is folded back to get into the tool box there’s another one of the hood clamps that holds the seat up. Want pics of it as well.

Since your's are mid-late 63 seats they're probably different than mine. I was just looking for some more info on what/how I might need to modify mine to complete them (they're not complete seats - not sure what type of cushions were used on these early seats).

I just let a insect bomb off in the cab to kill anything alive inside the cab. I’ve been laid up for 4 weeks after a spider bite when cleaning out the cab. I need a day or two before pulling the seats again. I don’t want to take any chances this time around. Will get it done just a bit cautious.

No rush at all on seat pics. Heal up, take your time. These rigs aren’t worth injury.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom