Builds 1963 FJ45LP SWB Fixed Top "Sweet Simplicity" (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I used JEGS’s brand of sealant, they say it’s good for fuel. We’ll see.

Obviously I have an issue vertically with fan/shroud interference. I have shims in place - they don’t amount to much anyhow. Only access to parts manual pre-69 i have is SOR and they show a radiator support for 63-71 and a shroud for 65-68, nothing earlier. This is an early 63, probably more 62 parts oriented. Is there a shroud/support changeover in this period? John @pardion this shroud is from you, any ideas? The support is original to the rig as best I can tell.
IMG_2096.JPG
IMG_2095.JPG
IMG_2097.JPG

On edit: the shroud/support is tilted forward because it hits the fan, the motor is pretty level.

Last edited:
Paul, I just checked 4 early shrouds and that top hole looks like yours about 5/8" below the top lip. When it quits raining I'll compare that top hole on the radiator supports. John

Thanks John. Been dumping here all day.

I braved it..... I checked the 8 EARLY radiator supports and all holes are the same. Left/Driver's upper tapped hole for the shroud is 2 5/16" from the top of the support and 19 1/4" from the bottom. What is yours?

I braved it..... I checked the 8 EARLY radiator supports and all holes are the same. Left/Driver's upper tapped hole for the shroud is 2 5/16" from the top of the support and 19 1/4" from the bottom. What is yours?
The top front cross tube is not mounted on the top like yours. It about 2 1/2 1/2” lower. Time to tap 6 holes?

Back in from the rain, it’s 750 feet from the house to the shop, uphill both ways 😋.

My measurements are the same as yours as best I can measure. I need about another 1” vertically to clear the fan. Everything having to do with the frame - mounts, cross members, supports - all look original, riveted with original looking heads. Engine mounts are new from SOR, match original mount heights taking age into account. So all that’s left to explain this discrepancy is the shroud/support needs to be mounted on something in addition to the shims?

Interesting, just checked my 65 and the cross bar is lower as well, not at the top.

Fallback is new tapped holes.

I have seen a motor tilt up when the rear mount pucks were installed incorrect. Could this be the problem.

Here’s the driver’s side rear
IMG_1899.JPG

Driver’s side front
IMG_1962.JPG

Kind of hard to see, here’s the passenger side rear
D104F416-C432-4EC0-8720-09A0E0001FC3.jpeg

Last edited:
So the cross bar doesn’t have anything to do with the height issue, but it’s a different animal. Since this is a pretty early 45 am I in a different world more akin to the 25’s? I’ve had a few other parts differences, like the FD linkage you found for me. Puzzling. I’ll scrutinize the support closer and see if I can see mod residuals.

I’ve borrowed a couple of pics from @JackA ‘s great ‘61 40 build. The top of his shroud looks different, it has a hump. The one I have is flat across the top.
385632BF-F267-42CE-AD50-A8CA959506D7.jpeg

A16C0B75-D80B-45EE-8B02-2E54DC9D1E4C.jpeg

Last edited:
How many hours do you all spend going through Mud builds? I think I’m approaching at least 1000. And I have to repeat my searches because I can’t remember crap.

Here’s a couple pics from JP’s @ClemsonCruiser 45 build. It has the radiator support bar at the top like mine. Notice there are some lower holes that might indicate this bar can be moved (?) but if so why? JP, any thoughts? It looks like you have an upper hump in your shroud, I think I need one (no medical reference intended 😛). BTW, how’s that “thing” in the background going?
F7FCA929-D1BE-4815-8A3F-C2A2D2A3AB4B.jpeg
79A9124B-D22F-4403-AFBC-2B1D7EE7D333.jpeg

Maybe i can do a little dolly work, tack a piece in the bottom and it would be good to go?

Wanna trade?

Great. Still have my addy?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom