1963 FJ40 - Looking for Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am new to this forum and I am looking for guidance on purchase of FJ40. I have an opportunity to purchase a 1963 FJ40. What I was hoping to get from the group is what should I be looking for when making the purchase? It has a Chevy 350 Engine in it...does that depreciate the value? It will need extensive body work - interior and exterior. Would you recommend purchasing this year model? Are there 'gotchas' I should be looking for?

What do you want to do with one when you get it? Answer that and you’ll get better guidance. I.E. Offroad only, daily driver, car shows, etc.

"Gotchas"? More likely than not ;) .
2x on deciding what you ultimately plan to do with the 40.

Texas truck? Or imported from somewhere else?

Rust is a gotcha. Look closely at the frame.

Chevy conversion does depreciate the value in my opinion. Who did the conversion and how much information do they have on it?

63 has drum brakes all around. Not a big deal but requires more maintenance than disc/drum brakes.

As stated, what will you use the truck for?

Sometimes, budget should be looked at. What do you have to spend and how quickly do you want it to be road worthy.

Pictures would be helpful.

And welcome to mud.

63 will have single circuit brakes, coarse splined axles, maybe a centered rear axle, corrugated hard top, it could have the odd window regulators on the front doors and maybe the very old latch assemblies
what transmision?

A 63' has numerous things (say prior to 67') that are unique, may or may not need converting to more modern systems such as axle shaft, single circuit brakes, etc.. In fact you will probably find it is a mix of lots of year. Numerous 63' systems were inferior and updated (as Downey points out) over the years. Without more info all I/we can tell you is typically 63' will be more work than a 74' and later.. Myself... I only own pre 70's; the other are "new fangled! OK my 69' is a combination of pre-post parts, and has a "built" title so simply a frankencruiser. But I love the pre-67' dash, welded one into my 69' "for looks".

Thank you for everyone's response. It is a South Carolina Truck. I was hoping to get it up and running for weekend drive. I love these old cruisers and not sure what year model I wanted. I was able to get some pics from the owner. My concerns is the level of rust underneath.

Front View.jpg

engine.jpg

Under_3.jpg

Under_6.jpg

Top.jpg

Looks solid from here, frame looks like peeling undercoat? I see a nice early very limited landcruiser embossed bezel! I would buy this if the price is right. Has power steering as well. And that roof vent is factory and a one year only deal.

what rust?
running boards and front doors have been changed to later ones, aftermarket heater setup, hood has also been changed
did you find out what transmision it has?
look over the V8 install, the fan is no where near being in the fan shroud
big tube rear bumper to match the front
tire carrier may not be original
X2 on the factory roof vent
can't see from the pics but it may be a high post on the B pillar
need to look at the fenders as the holes for the turn signals are gone, maybe bondo'd over?
it does look like the rear is a centered diff which would have been original, so rear shafts are most likely coarse spline
still has single circuit brakes
the front rear spring pin looks odd

Last edited:
what rust?
running boards and front doors have been changed to later ones, aftermarket heater setup, hood has also been changed
did you find out what transmision it has?
look over the V8 install, the fan is no where near being in the fan shroud
big tube rear bumper to match the front
tire carrier may not be original
X2 on the factory roof vent
can't see from the pics but it may be a high post on the B pillar
need to look at the fenders as the holes for the turn signals are gone, maybe bondo'd over?
it does look like the rear is a centered diff which would have been original, so rear shafts are most likely coarse spline
still has single circuit brakes
the front rear spring pin looks odd

It is 4 speed original

Seats, column, dash gauges, all take away value, but nothing that can’t go back to original. Should be a 3 spd on the column. Likely got switched to the later 4 spd when the sbc Chevy conversion was done.

The front doors, and running boards, are replacements, as said before. I can't tell for sure, but it looks like that rear shackle mount is off. The dashboard looks rough with all those holes in it. With x-ray vision, I see body filler on the tub. It looks, emphasize looks, like a bad Saginaw PS conversion on the frame. Also, the front bumper is covering the VIN on the frame. The data plate under the hood might be important.

What is needed is a view under the floor mats, the rear bumper area, under the fuel tank, the rear of the tub, and where the hardtop sides meet the tub.

I wouldn't be so concerned about the exact year, if you are already playing with Legos.

I'm concerned about water on that wing-nut for the air cleaner housing. I bet that it drank some storm, via the fold in the hood, and got water in the engine. I hope that I am wrong.

A good seal on that wing nut is a must, or install a Weber-type air cleaner assembly. My 2F, with Aisan carb and factory air cleaner, had that, but the oil was clean, and it seems to be fine, but we get 10" of rain/year in my area.

Obviously the front turn signals are aftermarket and mounted to the aprons instead of the fender. No hole for a turn signal in the fender means it was fill in. That brings into question why and the quality of the body work done. Stamped bezel good chance original had the early three speed and centered rear diff.

No picture of the rear sill which is the most rust prone area on a FJ40. Not one of the easiest pieces to repair if rusted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom