IH 1962 scout 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mace

rock scientist..
Staff member
s-Moderator
Threads
Looks like I'm venturing into the Scout world :)

I'm about to go get a 62 scout from a buddy. Bone stock, ran when parked (about 10 years ago or so) and in reasonable shape. Some rust on the tailgate and under the doors, but a hot glue gun and some patch panels should do nicely for that.

Plans include a 4.3 vortec/nv3500700r4or4l60/to a LC split tcase.

axles will most likely be FJ60 units. Power steering, hydroboost brakes, AC. I'm just going to make it a mild wheeler and solid driver. Reasonable power and mileage are important, as is safety.

Suspension is a bit up in the air. I want to run a 33x10.50 tire, and am reading that you need at least 4-5" of lift. However, the trucks I have seen that are SO on 33's look really tall compared to the tires. Spring over/under, shackle reversals apparently require some astoundingly long "fang" mounts. Course, then my more is better syndrome kicks in and I start thinking about doing a radius arm suspension...

I'll get pics up when I pickup the truck in a week or so. Should be a fun project for my son and I!!

Last edited:
So, you are going to take a stock 80, runner (maybe), and turn it into a Chevota?

Please pm me and I will find something to trade you that you can turn into a wheeler with out ruining the very vehicle that I am searching for.

^^^^

x2 Jason. Leave it stock, or close to it. In 20 years your son will thank you. Maybe sooner.

Great score by the way.

The Scout is coming from a good friend and the main reason I am getting it from him was for my son. So I doubt that swapping it out for something else is realistic. This is a vehicle that is cool, but has no business on a 70mph freeway in top speed, acceleration, or stopping. It's not a barn find, just a fairly cool old truck.

Vegas has some stooopid drivers around here. Upgrading a slew of safety aspects of the rig makes sense.

Before you judge me, wait till I get some pics up of it's current condition :)

I get that, and not necessarily judging, just really want an 80 and they are getting hard to find.

Once I find one it will not be for going 70 on the freeway, it will be doing what it was built for.

At least offer up it's IH guts to us folks that drive farm equipment and are proud of it.

I had a stock 80 back in the 90s,EVERYBODY passed me on the freeway.

93 hp
3 speed
427 ring & pinion
9" cam adjust drum brakes
Sliding windows on the doors
Ran poorly at altitude

I get that, and not necessarily judging, just really want an 80 and they are getting hard to find.

Once I find one it will not be for going 70 on the freeway, it will be doing what it was built for.

At least offer up it's IH guts to us folks that drive farm equipment and are proud of it.

Have no fear amigo. It's not in me to waste parts. I'll post them up for people that need the parts. I can let you know first if you like.

Just picked it up today :)

1392439_10201739213516109_655871744_n.jpg

Pulled all the spare tires/rims/carpet out of it. Honestly I am surprised at how little work is going to be done on the body. Helps a lot.

I did verify that there is enough headroom in the back to seat an adult. So, I have to think that is where the high roof came from.

DSC_0381.jpg

DSC_0395.jpg

DSC_0403.jpg

DSC_0409.jpg

DSC_0406.jpg

That looks like a great project.

Plans for an engine?

Still planning on the 4.3 TBI. Easiest conversion that makes sense. A 4BT would be cool, but noisy. V8 is not necessary.. There is not nearly enough room for a straight six.

Actually, the Ecotec 4 cylinder motors have been spoken about a lot lately, and are intriguing. I did read a thread where a guy swapped in a 22RE/tranny/tcase in there.

I did get a lST for this truck, it was built and immedately shipped to Casablanca :)

The high roof may be one of a kind. Never seen that before. Didn't some of the first generation Scouts come with inline 6 or V-8 engines?

No. Only later scouts came with a v8.

OK, I had to look this up since my buddy in college had an old Scout with the 266 V-8. The Scout 80's, like yours, weren't offered with the inline Sixes or V-8s (266 and 304), but the Scout 800 was. And, at least according to what I read, these Scouts have the same dimensions as yours. So, maybe a Jeep six would fit in there.
Congratulations on this truck-it looks to be in excellent condition for the age. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

"..Like the Jeep CJ, the Scout 80/800 were minimalistic steel boxes mounted on a four-wheel-drive chassis (2WD models were also offered). They rode on a comparatively long 100-inch wheelbase, which was 17 inches longer than the Jeep – and 5 inches longer than even today’s Jeep Wrangler – delivering a smoother ride than the somewhat darty-feeling CJ...
With its wheels pushed to the very corners of the body, with almost no front and rear overhangs, the Scout’s off-road approach and departure angles were great, too, at 47 degrees approach and 35 degrees departure for 4WD models. The 2013 Jeep Wrangler’s maximum approach angle is 44.6 degrees. ...
They were powered by International Harvester’s 152-cubic-inch Comanche four-cylinder. Scout 800 models were available with a larger 196-cid four-cylinder, a 232-cid inline-six, a 266-cid V-8 and a International’s own 304-inch V-8..."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom