1962 Fj40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
fj40bugcatcher.dyndns.org
I'm finally getting in a position to get things working correctly on my FJ40. I've had a long history of reliability issues with the engine and excessive fuel usage. I'm thinking a vacuum leak somewhere, but I've never been able to pin point it. Typically it will be real hard to keep running unless the choke is pulled halfway out. It often backfires out the exhaust. 48,000 miles on original rebuilt engine. Compression is good. Timing seems to be going, but it's often off from over week to the next. Once warmed up seems much better, but still sluggish. I've rebuilt the carb also.

Any suggestions on a methodical troubleshooting steps to get things solved correctly.

Robert

I'm finally getting in a position to get things working correctly on my FJ40. I've had a long history of reliability issues with the engine and excessive fuel usage. I'm thinking a vacuum leak somewhere, but I've never been able to pin point it. Typically it will be real hard to keep running unless the choke is pulled halfway out. It often backfires out the exhaust. 48,000 miles on original rebuilt engine. Compression is good. Timing seems to be going, but it's often off from over week to the next. Once warmed up seems much better, but still sluggish. I've rebuilt the carb also.

Any suggestions on a methodical troubleshooting steps to get things solved correctly.

Robert
What is the story with the distributor? Have you had that rebuilt or checked out?

You have a vacuum leak… keep looking

Around carb… manifold

Edit: also check around the pcv … it connects to the filler tube on the f135
No pvc and the port off the valve cover is currently unattached. Plan to hook to air cleaner when I find one that works with the Saginaw conversion.

Robert

No work has ever been done on the distributor except removing the points and adding electronic ignition. West issues come up on faulty distributors?

Robert
Well you mentioned the timing changing. I was wondering if it was moving (body rotating) or had a worn shaft that was causing some kind of variation in your timing.

Pics of truck plz

20230320_135624.jpg

20230320_135532.jpg

20230320_135439.jpg

20230320_135431.jpg

20230320_135413.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom