1961 FJ40 Tie rod ends (Jack's truck) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

navydivedoc

SILVER Star
Threads
I bought the rattle can rebuild from @JackA a while back. I keep running into or talking to people who say "oh, you bought Jack's truck", so maybe we'll just call it that now. :cheers:

Motor, trans, t-case and tire refresh is happening via @matzell and his shop as we speak.

I planned to go ahead and do all of the steering ends while I had the truck in for the refresh. But, the only ones I can find are 63 and up. These appear to be substantially more tapered and smaller than the later 40s, so maybe this early FJ40 shares parts from the FJ25? I would like to replace them, and am hoping you gentlemen may have some options to put out there. Good quality yes, OEM unicorns no. Thanks for the help.

20200516_082000-M.jpg

20200516_082009-M.jpg

Tried. They only had 63 and up with no recommendation except upgrade to newer complete set up.

I've not seen ends available for the older small thread for a decade and that was a NOS kit then. Sorry the upgraded linkage kits are going to be the easiest solution and gives you the bigger ends that you can find replacements for. Or find some used linkage and toss a new TRE kit on them.

I've not seen ends available for the older small thread for a decade and that was a NOS kit then. Sorry the upgraded linkage kits are going to be the easiest solution and gives you the bigger ends that you can find replacements for. Or find some used linkage and toss a new TRE kit on them.

Thanks Kurt. I will give you a call if I end up going that direction. Is your linkage kit new parts? No shortage of used linkages around, though finding them straight seems a challenge. Good to have options.

Do they need to be replaced? How bad are they? Or is it just the boots?

They aren't bad really. I just prefer safety items that could in theory fail at speed to be newer than 59 years old. I was hoping there was an easy button with some off the shelf current production TRE that had the right thread/size/etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom