SOLD 1961 FJ40, driver restoration rust free Arizona truck in MA (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 40 Series
Color
Red
Time to put up an official ad for this truck. The Little Red Lobster is for sale.
Back on the Market. Pig and an FJ45 SWB inbound, something has to give. Price reduced, $14,500

i-gBXtDdZ-L.jpg

1961 (first year import) Factory Hard Top FJ40. Almost Freeborn Red (see below).
- Arizona truck resurrected by @JackA and documented in The Rattle Can Rebuild thread. Extensive documentation and pics there of the original condition of the truck and Jack's work to bring it back. As the name suggests, yes it is Rustoleum Regal red painted.
- I picked up the truck from Jack last spring. I had it shipped to Virginia for a few months where @matzell did some good work on it to bring it to the finish line. I retired from the Navy in July, and the truck was shipped north to Maine for the summer and then down here to New Hampshire where it sits in my garage. Lots of description of the additional work done as well as a lot of pics of the truck in various places around Acadia national park. The Little Red Lobster

Why sell? - Simple, I found my long desired FJ45. Completely done. For now, there can be only one so this truck and my 67 patina rig go.

i-vdgkdRT-L.jpg

$14,500
- 1961 FJ40 - First year, under 300 imported by my Mud research
- Factory Hard top model. I do not have a hard top
- Besttop soft top is included. Grey, great condition, split soft doors. Just ugly
- 1985 2F motor. New water pump, alternator rebuild, FJ60 distributor, full reseal, new oil pan. Belts, hoses, etc. 150+ on compression testing, good motor.
- Motor is dressed as an F - Air cleaner, carb, intake, exhaust. Old style thermostat housing. Old style oil filter bracket without cooler. Simple.
- Complete new exhaust from downpipe back
- Just rebuilt 1972 F carb by @65swb45 (July 2020)
- 3 speed with floor shift. New clutch, pressure plate, flywheel resurfaced. New cylinders MC and slave by Jack.. Resealed.
- 3 speed t-case with floor shift. Resealed.
- Original axles (centered rear)
- Later model 3 speed driveshafts with new U-joints
- New brake cylinders and shoes all around
- New brake MC. Soft lines
- Knuckle job by JackA before I got it
- New shocks
-new suspension bushings
- 5 new Maxxis Bighorn 30x9.5 MTs with ~400 miles
- OEM welded/disc toyota wheels.

i-ngwxsRZ-L.jpg

i-DvTbqS9-L.jpg

i-KMTNShn-L.jpg

i-dv5CmLd-L.jpg

i-b9gNhJ4-L.jpg

i-VqDcsnV-L.jpg

Negatives/needs -
- She was called the rattle can rebuild, and is a 10 footer. A good 10 footer, but not perfect. Like the middle aged former cheerleader who's taken care of herself, really fun to ride but if you get too close she isn't quite what she once was. There are a couple of tiny bubbles on the rear sill. A few runs here and there, etc. She's a driver.
- Windshield wipers not wired. I have the harness for that. I've been lazy, and she only sees sunny days.
- Horn doesn't work. Contact in the button missing, unobtainium or nearly so.
- Besttop included. Ugly, intact, works.
i-Z7jfDV2-S.jpg

Posting before I change my mind (again) ;):cheers:

Last edited:
This will not help🙄, but as years have gone by and countless cruisers have come and gone, I find myself finally content with 4! A 40fst, 45lpb, 47 Troopy, and a 60. You now have a 40, pig, and a sweet 45 shorty. I feel like they are my extended family! If you don’t need to sell it($$) I would keep it! But I do know freeing up space and money are important these days. With all the junk out there for 15k, this rig should sell quick, it has great provenance!
I agree whole heartedly. I’ve had 62’s, 80’s and 100’s but nothing satisfied like the 40’s. I’m currently searching for the right pig to maybe fill the barn. However I do love this simple rig!,

This pig has been on my site for awhile; so I just decided to buy her. I owned her many years ago and it will be nice to see her again. I have to wait for the snow to melt in upstate New York before I get her on the way back to Iowa. C'mon Spring!

FJ55.jpg

You can swing by and pick up the 40 and haul them both back to Iowa!

looking at this history here, can I get a break in the weather to drive it to Providence to join my 200HE.? A drivable project seems to me.

looking at this history here, can I get a break in the weather to drive it to Providence to join my 200HE.? A drivable project seems to me.
Runs great, rebuilt carb so it fires right up. Criminal to drive it in the salt though. That heritage edition would tow it home with no drama!

SOLD

Last edited:
Well, I guess congrats are in order. Hopefully, you won't regret it too much. You'll have adequate consolation with the pig and that beautiful 45!

Going to a good home, Mud veteran. It will live a good life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom