1960 FJ25 FST's Ebony & Ivory (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Throwing this out there in the unlikely event someone has any FST bow pieces, I do think I'll try to piece that together while I'm at it. I have some of the door frame pieces, and a random rear bow piece or two but missing most of the big ones. If anybody even has a 40 series set, that might be a good start for something I can modify and make work.

Received some of the gaskets I needed today (Carb to air cleaner via FJparts.com, carb base gasket via Cruiserteq.com, oil filters via SOR) which I'll install when I get Ebony back in a week or two. Still waiting on the air cleaner element which I ordered from Jensales.com which should be here this weekend sometime. Also received the dizzy from @pardion and got that installed earlier this week.

Dropped the truck off at a local body guy yesterday that is going to reshape the dented rear floors and a couple of other small imperfections. Fortunately no welding required anywhere - amazing how easy this all is without significant body work (I can't help but keep comparing it to the FJ28). Also took the wheels to a local wheel shop for repair/sandblast/paint. For now I'm just going to have them try to match the white that's on there. Paint is expensive!!! Called around about a basic re-paint and was quoted anywhere from $10-20k. Also believe I've got the seats situation taken care of via a fabricator down in Venezuela, will post more on that if/when I receive them. That way Ebony can keep his patina seats.

Moving right along!

Throwing this out there in the unlikely event someone has any FST bow pieces, I do think I'll try to piece that together while I'm at it. I have some of the door frame pieces, and a random rear bow piece or two but missing most of the big ones. If anybody even has a 40 series set, that might be a good start for something I can modify and make work.

Received some of the gaskets I needed today (Carb to air cleaner via FJparts.com, carb base gasket via Cruiserteq.com, oil filters via SOR) which I'll install when I get Ebony back in a week or two. Still waiting on the air cleaner element which I ordered from Jensales.com which should be here this weekend sometime. Also received the dizzy from @pardion and got that installed earlier this week.

Dropped the truck off at a local body guy yesterday that is going to reshape the dented rear floors and a couple of other small imperfections. Fortunately no welding required anywhere - amazing how easy this all is without significant body work (I can't help but keep comparing it to the FJ28). Also took the wheels to a local wheel shop for repair/sandblast/paint. For now I'm just going to have them try to match the white that's on there. Paint is expensive!!! Called around about a basic re-paint and was quoted anywhere from $10-20k. Also believe I've got the seats situation taken care of via a fabricator down in Venezuela, will post more on that if/when I receive them. That way Ebony can keep his patina seats.

Moving right along!
If you get a rear bench seat made I would be interested in one as well as @tahoe40/45

Well which one of the filter elements did you order? Could make a difference in horsepower. You’ll have to paint the valve cover the appropriate color to match that tractor’s OEM color 😝. I painted mine orange, for Kubota since they’re at least Japanese 😆.

(never heard of Cockshutt tractors 😂)

Well which one of the filter elements did you order? Could make a difference in horsepower. You’ll have to paint the valve cover the appropriate color to match that tractor’s OEM color 😝. I painted mine orange, for Kubota since they’re at least Japanese 😆.

(never heard of Cockshutt tractors 😂)
All the options jensales.com had have the same part number so my guess is they're all the same thing. But you do bring up a good question - did Toyota paint these air cleaners something other than black? I've seen a lot of restorations with them colored blue, even orange, but since all the brochures I've seen were in black and white I wasn't sure where that came from. I kinda like the colored air cleaners personally...

Never heard of a cockshutt either! And I grew up on farms in Iowa... guess it was Canadian? Linky

Boy i am realizing now how much of these early “wear out” parts are missing. Shocks - can’t find them anywhere! CCOT has the fronts but not the rears. Nobody else has either set. Anybody found a source? Cityracer’s site is down until Wednesday, hoping they can rescue me.

Boy i am realizing now how much of these early “wear out” parts are missing. Shocks - can’t find them anywhere! CCOT has the fronts but not the rears. Nobody else has either set. Anybody found a source? Cityracer’s site is down until Wednesday, hoping they can rescue me.
I think they should still be available straight from Toyota. Reach out to @cruiseroutfit ! They should stock them as well.

I think they should still be available straight from Toyota. Reach out to @cruiseroutfit ! They should stock them as well.
I’ll try to call them but the website doesn’t have any. A lot of stuff is available starting in 64, but much of the 58-64 stuff is NLA. I might just end up having to go with some NAPA or something, removing the decals and finding a way to paint them. I’ll let you know which direction I go.

Last edited:
Forgot to post this but I picked up these generic black shocks from carparts.com. Only place I could find that had some that said they were compatible. I'll have to get some miles on them to know for sure but they seemed to fit ok when I installed them.

I'm out of town for a bit but before I left town Ivory's clutch master (original cast iron type) started leaking. I'm probably going to send it off to WhitePost per @tahoe40/45 recommendation when I get back to have it rebuilt. Maybe send off Ebony & The Warden's master cylinders as well while I'm at it and get them all done together. I am however missing a cast iron brake master for Ivory and the aftermarket one sticks out like a sore thumb. Anybody happen to have a spare? Otherwise will probably leave it as-is for now until the exciting day I find one.

Not exactly sure - ok not really at all - but I wonder why the Toyota’s for the 45’s wouldn’t work on 25/40’s? Nolen @wngrog or JP @ClemsonCruiser might know. Anyhow, here’s what I put on my ‘63 45, can’t imagine they’re not available from Toyota. But I’m slowly losing my imagin(ation) anyhow 😂.
Hey JP @ClemsonCruiser - happy post 4th!

I ordered some shocks based on your post above with pic from parts book. I ordered 48511-60010 FR and 48531-60050 RR. In other posts I see the 45 shock numbers as 48511-69037 FR and 48531-69059 RR. I haven’t heard any rejection from Camelback T like usual if parts I ordered are NLA. Any idea on difference or correct numbers?

Not exactly sure - ok not really at all - but I wonder why the Toyota’s for the 45’s wouldn’t work on 25/40’s? Nolen @wngrog or JP @ClemsonCruiser might know. Anyhow, here’s what I put on my ‘63 45, can’t imagine they’re not available from Toyota. But I’m slowly losing my imagin(ation) anyhow 😂.
Good question, I’m sure they ride differently but maybe they would work? It would be nice to use Toyota parts at least. Maybe I’ll look into that when I do ebony’s and try to compare.

Quick update, I did buy the rear bows from realsteel cruisers and compared to the 25 bows on Ebony, they're pretty close just need to add a little material here and take away a little material there. Once I have those modified I'm going to probably take one of the trucks around town to see about getting someone to make a soft top for both of them, and get the seats upholstered. Still waiting on the seat frames I had made down in Venezuela, they're on the slow boat should be arriving in Miami early September.

Removed Ebony's floors and the patch panels have been fabricated and should all be installed this month. Fabricator said he's willing to make more for others if they need, if there's an interest I can get pricing and post something up later. I'm going to attempt to replicate some of the patina on those floors, but I know that's going to be tough - have watched dozens of YouTube videos so far and I'm very skeptical in my ability to make that look matching. Fortunately a lot of the interior paint on the floors and wheel wells is gone and its just a lot of surface rust. So the surface rust should be pretty easy to replicate. Fingers crossed!

Also sent off the cast brake and clutch masters to white post restorations, and they came back looking brand spanking new... will post pictures of that soon. It wasn't cheap, but they did an amazing job. I think I'm going to save those for the 28 and Ebony. Ivory is going to get some of the later model master cylinders I picked up from SOR since I don't have enough for all 3 trucks.

Finally, I got these military tires for Ebony that I'll get mounted in the next few weeks. I wish Ebony had matching gray wheels - they're white - but I will probably leave them as-is unless I find that this fake patina thing can be done well.

Waiting for things to cool down to tackle much more of these projects! Unusually humid here in Phoenix right now to go with our 100+ degree heat.

IMG_0557.jpeg

IMG_0559.jpeg

IMG_0560.jpeg

IMG_0561.jpeg

where did you get the new florpanel?
Fabrilatas Venezuela made the floor panel. Very expensive to ship though FYI I don't think I'd do it again.

Work is moving along on both of these trucks, but I've gotten really bad at posting updates - my apologies. I got the seats upholstered for all 3 25s at the same time (including FHT Warden) with a nice marine grade red vinyl at a local shop. Put together the full bow set for the ivory truck and installed. Had some soft tops made through a contact down in Colombia, and I'm now working on prepping to repaint Ivory. I debated back and forth on doing a full repaint but its really pretty patchy here and there and several areas just don't match. Paint should be done within the next week I hope (waiting for it to warm up here a little bit), then just reassembly. Really have not run into any issues on that truck surprisingly, been very fortunate its really in great shape. I was going to put in a new fully reworked @Coolerman harness on this one but the harness is actually in pretty good shape so I'll likely keep that one for Ebony or Warden.

Ebony will be next on the docket, those floors are all done and I gave them a little bit of a surface rust patina treatment that I think helps them not stand out too much. Since there won't be any paint I hope that truck will go together quicker. I just posted an update on the 28 a few moments ago, but we are moving out of state to Tahoe area end of May so I'm trying to get Ivory together and sold (or maybe up to a consignment place) before I leave. We don't have a garage up in Tahoe as of yet so I'll probably have to store these trucks at a property we have in Phoenix for the near term until that situation changes. Probably won't really have a chance to do much with the FHT before that time, but hoping the future will provide an opportunity to move at least a couple of the trucks up there with me.

I'll try to post some more photos within the next couple of weeks. Here are a few of the floors and one of the new soft tops.

IMG_0808.jpeg

IMG_0807.jpeg

68547115845__106584E7-C6BC-47B0-8CD9-8F9FEBDB76A9.jpeg

68547118125__A1B3CBDE-09D3-4D41-9CB9-01BB31863ABE.jpeg

68831900765__292AC592-2FC0-48DB-8A18-CA571F37FAC4.jpeg

68831902057__3DC964A1-2ECC-41F9-AB97-5F10B6AE1BDD.jpeg

68831904158__E2912B56-8CF6-4717-A5A0-118D9131A765.jpeg

I did have one question for the FJ25 experts out there - I have the Asahi vacuum wipers for both of these trucks but I know I’ll never find the wiper rams. Has anyone found a suitable compatible replacement that fits these motors?

What do the posts look like? I have used generic hot rod/ boat arms and wipers just fine. They look the part on my 65.

What do the posts look like? I have used generic hot rod/ boat arms and wipers just fine. They look the part on my 65.
Photo stolen from another thread. I’m not sure what the diameter is, I can try to look that up next week. Got any photos of what you’ve used @red66toy ?

1674967642141.jpeg

Photo stolen from another thread. I’m not sure what the diameter is, I can try to look that up next week. Got any photos of what you’ve used @red66toy ?

View attachment 3232362
Yeah let me snag some photos. The generic ones I use have a little screw adapter on the post to fit the aftermarket arms. Not as cool as originals for sure…. But easy to find replacements. :p

Yeah let me snag some photos. The generic ones I use have a little screw adapter on the post to fit the aftermarket arms. Not as cool as originals for sure…. But easy to find replacements. :p
Thanks! Sometimes you gotta be realistic and know you’ll never find a part, and look for a suitable replacement. I’ll have to see what kind of generic I can find that has an adjustment for post size sounds like. If you have a specific one with a link let me know. Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom