1960 FJ25 FST's Ebony & Ivory (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What have others done to replace the air intake hose to the fender apron? Anyone found something the right size?
Try the snorkel kits for J4 Cruisers. They come with such flexi type hoses and the airbox size at least should be correct. One can otherwise get the hoses separate here in Africa, not sure who sells them Stateside - dimensions here - 1 Meter flexible pipe - cuffed hose 1000mm - https://4x4direct.co.za/snorkels/9143-1-meter-flexible-pipe-cuffed-hose-1000mm.html

Some how we need to finally get a repop of the oem soft doors. The aftermarket doors look similar? Or maybe easier to build. Cool trucks, looking great!
Mike

Some how we need to finally get a repop of the oem soft doors. The aftermarket doors look similar? Or maybe easier to build. Cool trucks, looking great!
Mike
this aftermarket version is more like a Bestop version I would say. Serviceable but they just kinda look odd to me. But for someone that wants a cheap top, might be good to have?

Working through my checklist, have an oil bath type air cleaner which is a first for me on a cruiser. Did these use the mesh filter type elements? Anyone found one they liked?

Ditto on the oil filters, where have others bought theirs? I see SOR has them. Also need to find the gasket ring to connect the air cleaner to the carb. Looks like that one is NLA so maybe I’ll have to find something that fits.

Thanks all for the advice!

Last edited:
this aftermarket version is more like a Bestop version I would say. Serviceable but they just kinda look odd to me. But for someone that wants a cheap top, might be good to have?

Working through my checklist, have an oil bath type air cleaner which is a first for me on a cruiser. Did these use the mesh filter type elements? Anyone found one they liked?

Ditto on the oil filters, where have others bought theirs? I see SOR has them.

Thanks all for the advice!

The element is essentially infinitely reusable. One washes it out in gas or similar solvents and then pop it in again with about a quart of motor oil up to the fill level.

My 62 came with a pretty nice example. It's really cool Toyota made even the air filter serviceable back in the day. The original K and N! Lol
Mike

Resized_20210917_110852.jpeg

Resized_20210914_134929.jpeg

My 62 came with a pretty nice example. It's really cool Toyota made even the air filter serviceable back in the day. The original K and N! Lol
Mike

View attachment 3010773

View attachment 3010774
thats awesome, thanks for the photo! Can you measure the width of the band of mesh? Don't think I'll find the OEM stuff but the tractor supply places seem to carry the mesh. Looks like most of them are a 3" tall band.

Last edited:
Hopefully this isn’t too much noise, but here’s what was on my ‘64 F135. The top was modified at some point to accommodate a dual carb offenhauser setup (as well as the mount to allow a bit more space for the front carb). Only one I have so don’t know if there are different designs.
IMG_3786.JPG

Inside. This looks a bit different than @mmcinnis as the element fits inside the lid‘s retaining shroud and sits above the oil fill line, which is just a smidgeon above the raised part of the base. So the intake air passes down the outside of the shroud, under its bottom lip, then through/across the surface of the oil, and up through the element which traps any oil laden air. The oil “drains” out of the air and back into the sump at the bottom. And the “cleaned” air heads to the carb(s). Very effective for hyper dusty conditions.
IMG_3787.JPG

Element and dimensions
IMG_3788.JPG
IMG_3789.jpg
IMG_3791.jpg

My plan is to reinstate this someday on my rig as I’m in a very dusty location.

Last edited:
Hi Nathen ,

This is a OEM toyota oil bath element …

Your welcome to it if you like
Hopefully this isn’t too much noise, but here’s what was on my ‘64 F135. The top was modified at some point to accommodate a dual carb offenhauser setup (as well as the mount to allow a bit more space for the front carb). Only one I have so don’t know if there are different designs.
View attachment 3011263

Inside. This looks a bit different than @mmcinnis as the element fits inside the lid‘s retaining shroud and sits above the oil fill line, which is just a smidgeon above the raised part of the base. So the intake air passes down the outside of the shroud, under its bottom lip, then through/across the surface of the oil, and up through the element which traps any oil laden air. The oil “drains” out of the air and back into the sump at the bottom. And the “cleaned” air heads to the carb(s). Very effective for hyper dusty conditions.
View attachment 3011264

Element and dimensions
View attachment 3011265View attachment 3011266View attachment 3011267

My plan is to reinstate this someday on my rig as I’m in a very dusty location.
thats awesome, thanks for the photo! Can you measure the width of the band of mesh? Don't think I'll find the OEM stuff but the tractor supply places seem to carry the mesh. Looks like most of them are a 3" tall band.
Ck @ToyotaMatt, for air cleaner. He may stock it? I can measure for you but currently on the ship out at sea.
Mike
The element is essentially infinitely reusable. One washes it out in gas or similar solvents and then pop it in again with about a quart of motor oil up to the fill level.

i have this unicorn available if anybody is more of a purist then me ?

312FBD38-DAF7-496A-9519-84CF71F7DE93.jpeg
121097D0-8792-4EDC-A667-E97AE207BE84.jpeg
FE326C5D-0C4D-4D06-B473-8B69BFADC0C7.jpeg

Last edited:
This Is not my area of expertise can anyone explain to me and others the tech 411 on this “ thing “. ?

Thanks

That looks like a later unit that has the element encapsulated in a complete assembly that fits in the air cleaner housing. How much later I don’t know but definitely an upgrade in design in that there’s the complete unit instead of individual parts components. And it looks like the housing has clamps on the side to secure the top versus a single threaded post in the middle. 👍

Learning so much today :) thanks for the dimensions @middlecalf i had one of those offy intakes at one point and I have to admire the ingenuity of whoever modified yours! I think I’ll order one of the mesh elements for the tractors and see how it works. I’ll let you all know. Not really any other options out there that I could find.

After driving Ivory a couple miles the other day, I couldn’t get her to start yesterday but got her running again after some carb clean up. Next step is getting the 25 wheels cleaned up and painted white to match, and some 6.5-16 traxions mounted. Should improve the appearance significantly. Called around today as one of the wheels needs some repair and was quoted $150 by 3 different shops. Never spent more than $50 before but it’s been years. I guess this is the going rate now! Hoping to have all of those mounted up by next week sometime. I’m also using a 40 series spare tire mount, I know they’re slightly different size but I also know I’ll never find a 20 series one. So this will have to do for this modest restoration.

1652848668543.jpeg

I am starting on Ivory first. This morning I drained the gas tank and put in a new battery. Working on reconnecting everything today to try to see if she will fire up. It has the original SD40, and rather than rebuild that I'm just going to swap in the SD40 I pulled out of my 45LV when I put the sniper kit in it. But I do probably need to get a couple of carbs rebuilt at some point since I'm just borrowing from one truck to the other. I don't see any rebuild kits anywhere though, if any of you know where to get them let me know.

View attachment 3005287
This is the rebuild kit for an SD40, I bought mine off of Fleabay, but if you Google this part number you should be able to find other vendors with stock.
Resized_Screenshot_20220118-101038_Chrome.jpeg

Learning so much today :) thanks for the dimensions @middlecalf i had one of those offy intakes at one point and I have to admire the ingenuity of whoever modified yours! I think I’ll order one of the mesh elements for the tractors and see how it works. I’ll let you all know. Not really any other options out there that I could find.

After driving Ivory a couple miles the other day, I couldn’t get her to start yesterday but got her running again after some carb clean up. Next step is getting the 25 wheels cleaned up and painted white to match, and some 6.5-16 traxions mounted. Should improve the appearance significantly. Called around today as one of the wheels needs some repair and was quoted $150 by 3 different shops. Never spent more than $50 before but it’s been years. I guess this is the going rate now! Hoping to have all of those mounted up by next week sometime. I’m also using a 40 series spare tire mount, I know they’re slightly different size but I also know I’ll never find a 20 series one. So this will have to do for this modest restoration.

View attachment 3011620

nathen ,

i am down to my last LV key blanks ?

can i replay your past kindness and stuff between us , and simply donate one to one of your LV's / FJ28 ?

let me know

i would be very fitting to simply hand you the last of the GREAT 2021 NOS UNICORN key hunter missions scores ! :cool:

1652857881989.png

1652857899863.png

1652857912820.png

nathen ,

i am down to my last LV key blanks ?

can i replay your past kindness and stuff between us , and simply donate one to one of your LV's / FJ28 ?

let me know

i would be very fitting to simply hand you the last of the GREAT 2021 NOS UNICORN key hunter missions scores ! :cool:

View attachment 3011660

View attachment 3011661
View attachment 3011662
well you sure drive a hard bargain :) I’ll PM ya. Thanks Matt!

well you sure drive a hard bargain :) I’ll PM ya. Thanks Matt!

SOLID MUD Buddies for the long haul Nathen , who go out of there way in a KIND way , simply receive in KIND ........... :beer: :cool:

i think that's going to be my MUD quote of the day ? i like MUD quotes of the day ..............🤣

1652936690179.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom