1942 MB-T (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The PO put in the teak inserts on the floor and moved the hand brake. 4 grab handles (MB-T shouldnt have any) and put a bumper on the back.
Jeep Trailer 011.jpg
Jeep Trailer 007.jpg
Jeep Trailer 010.jpg

Last edited:
Nice clean trailer. The mods don't detract from the OEM appearance much, except for that bumper:p

Was the metal floor removed before the teak flooring was installed?

The metal floor is underneath the teak and is very clean . Well today I will spay it down with Rust Check.
Jeep Trailer 017.jpg
Jeep Trailer 008.jpg
Jeep Trailer 004.jpg

Not quite how I'd do it, but that teak looks well-maintained and solid, as well as the metal underneath.

Even in our M101 CDN, there was some rust started at the front of the floor from sitting with water or snow in it in its brief life before I bought it. That was the only part of the trailer where there was rust damage. Sandblasted, patched and painted out now.

Because of that, I keep ours garaged or tarped, but not afraid of getting it wet when on the road/trail.

Congrats on your find:cheers:

Do you plan on keeping it stockish or do you have more adventurous plans:grinpimp:

I plan on cleaning up the underneath with the wire wheel and changing the bulbs to 24V and replace the tires with similar kind (without sidewall cracks). So I will keep her stock as is.

Well here are a few more. This trailer was 4 sale for a long time. I saw it last year and thought 1600 bucks was steep and that a trailer would slow me down.

I was 17 when I signed up to be a Reservist in the Canadian Armed Forces after highscool I did it full time for a while. (combat engineer) . Any how I remember when we had CJ-7s as a intermediate jeep after the 68 pattern M38s were replaced. Then in 1987-88 we started to see the ILTIS and those Iltis trailers (M101) pattern.
Except they were just called( Iltis trailers )to Canadian members. A lot of them had to be repainted as I remember because you could hear them rust in the Wainright sun. LOL.
The Iltis trailers were heavy for the poor gutless VW powered Iltis , Geese I just remembered my weapons tag 8Lo-537 a 1957 FN C1-A1. Blah- BLah.......

Here are a few more. I asked the PO if he could deliver it across the Lower Mainland for 1400. Which isnt bad since there are U-built trailers for 500-700-900 and they look like s***. So a vintage turn key modified MB-T and of course deliverd for 1400 bucks isnt bad IMOP.
Jeep Trailer 012.jpg
Jeep Trailer 006.jpg

Well after doing a few errands with the trailer, ie picking up a CAT 950F transmission (awkward) I have installed the 24v bulbs,spare 24v tailight bulbs from the BJ 74 and they plug right in .

Here are a couple of shots of the underneath,I will be doing some sanding to get the many layers of paint off. Other than paying way too much for it, I am happy with it.
Jeep Trailer 001.jpg
Jeep Trailer 015.jpg
Jeep Trailer 004.jpg

Last edited:
The floor appears to have been replaced. It should have ribs in it. But your floor is straighter then mine MB-T. MY would be a Navy sailor's dream. Plenty of waves:rolleyes:

Over all your looks to be in great shape. Are those 16" or 15" wheels? Mine came with 15" wheels but I was able to get some 16" wheels off a M100 here on Mud.

:cheers:

Thanks! They are 16" rims . I figured the floor was replaced because of no- ribbing.

I have been using the MB-T alot lately. So it is time to give some lovin to Gunny.
I call it Gunny because a retired Gunny Sargeant replaced the floor and put on the grab handles and rear bumper.

When I went to look at the trailer before I got it I noticed that one of the P.O. had filled in the seam where the frame rail meets the load compartment. According to My BONDO magnet , I gave my self the OK to go ahead with the purchace.

So here is a little work that went on last Saturday. I didnt have much time to sand it down real smooth. This is just a temporary rust prevetative measure.
Jeep Trailer 017.jpg

Last edited:
It didnt take long to wire wheel the filler out of the seam and clean up some loose ends
Jeep Trailer 016.jpg
Jeep Trailer 009.jpg

Question, does anybody have an idea if Willys used Chevy drums on the MB-Ts , or is this another modification?

Question 2 , Since these drums dont do alot of work slowing things down , could I get away with grinding out the crack and weld it in ?

Thanks
Jeep Trailer 004.jpg

Some of you may say , Why did you wheel that filler out?
The reason is that it was starting to crack a little on one side.
Jeep Trailer 008.jpg

While it's true that the brake drum is only used for parking, I'd be concerned about the rotational forces going down the road. Surely someone on mud has a leftover assembly they can part with.

I think that if you measure the drums they are nine or nine and a half. No one makes those anymore as everyone has gone to ten or larger. Womacje just went through this and those drums are no longer. Chevy was prolly contracted to make this for the war effort. You have to buy salvage or go with a new axle. Or weld. That is only a parking brake as mentioned previously.

I think that if you measure the drums they are nine or nine and a half. No one makes those anymore as everyone has gone to ten or larger. Womacje just went through this and those drums are no longer. .

Or you could contact Womacje and purchase his axle that he took off from him! (An innocent plug!)

Cheers!

Or you could contact Womacje and purchase his axle that he took off from him! (An innocent plug!)

Cheers!

Thanks for the kind plug.

In regards to your hub crack, if you aren't using the hydro brakes, I would weld it or leave it, depending on your preferences. If you are trying to change lug number/spacing, that can cause a problem. As for 9" drums if it is similar to my M416, you should be able to find a matching jeep part to replace it with, try CJ3's I believe they were drum front and possibly a good fit.

Otherwise, I do have an entire axle, but my guess is thats not what you are gunning for.

I love the looks of Gunny, especially the floor, I a sucker for nice wood...

I thought the M100 and earlier MB-T/BT3 shared the same axle? I thought the M416 had a wider frame making the brackets wider apart on the M416 axle? The brakes work fine on mt M416 so I haven't looked at them but I know on my MB-T I have to take apart the hub to get the drum off. My brakes seem to be frozen and I am afraid to force the handle in fear the brakes will lock and not release. If the M416 is different it could be a nice upgrade if it makes it easlier to work on. For me I probably just keep my old axle and get the brakes to work. I use the hand brake when ever I part the M416 so here in the dry southwest I figure they will last a long time with regular use. The PO had it since 1953 and never use the brake or landing leg. The landing leg was a easier fix.

You might try a company called Midwest Military and see if they have a drum. It is most likely the same as the military jeep of the same era.

:cheers:

You might want to make sure something hasn't been changed in the brakes and drum. The hub looks the same as my MB-T but the brake handle is different then add in the fact you have a chevy drum. If you contact Midwest Military you might ask them if it was common to have a chevy drum. If you search around their website you get the feeling these guys are experts on old military vehicles.
005.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks to ( in order):
Brian in Oregon
photogod
1Fine40
womacje
Living in the Past

I will grind it out and weld it , Thanks for your wealth of KNOWLEDGE guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom