Dodge 1938 Dodge conversion to repro GAZ 61 rock crawler (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
hotmilkforbreakfast.wordpress.com
So, I inherited my grandfather's 1938 Dodge D8 Sedan. It was parked in the opening days of WWII and was never brought back into running condition. It has plates and is titled, though it's in rough condition.

283668_4081276244715_2084476757_n.jpg

For those who know, these are very low value. You can purchase an original runner for less than $5000 if you know where to look. I think they look cool, though, and was looking for a unique project. D sedans look extra stupid as hot rods or rat rods, so I don't care for that.

But then I saw this:

Газ-61.JPG

While not exactly the same, the styling cues are there, and it lit a fire in my brain.

1974 and later Dodge trucks with standard beds have the same wheelbase as the D8 sedan (115 inches).

I'm thinking of swapping a Dodge 4x4 frame under the 1938 sedan body, lifting it, and putting tractor tires on it as a kind of Mad Max meets WWII Red Army tribute.

What think all of you?

Do it!

You thought your cruiser was beginning to cost a pretty penny to fix up? :rolleyes:

You thought your cruiser was beginning to cost a pretty penny to fix up? :rolleyes:

1974 Dodge pickup $500
New glass $250
Used tractor tires, $100
Put body on top, weld/strap everything down.
No CELs that take $$$ to chase down, no unobtainium OEM only parts to find.
Run the piss out of it.

This is interesting, because it can be bubba'd and still be cool. And bubba solutions are cheap where I come from.

That would be wicked.
It probably wouldn't cost much either, buy a beat up 2wd dodge pickup and beef up the front end of the car to handle the weight. Radiator and intercooler would be the biggest obstacles. I would probably tub it too with uber wide tires with stock looking steel wheels or else it will spin out everywhere. You would also need a super high ring n pinion to keep the rpms down on the freeway. Ford 9" would work.

It probably wouldn't cost much either, buy a beat up 2wd dodge pickup and beef up the front end of the car to handle the weight. Radiator and intercooler would be the biggest obstacles. I would probably tub it too with uber wide tires with stock looking steel wheels or else it will spin out everywhere. You would also need a super high ring n pinion to keep the rpms down on the freeway. Ford 9" would work.

Why 2WD?

Like I said earlier; don't care for a hot rod. It would take very little effort to make it look like a GAZ 61. The diesel would just be frosting on the cake.

Plus, tub, wide tires, stock looking wide steel wheels and the new rear would cost money.

Any progress or updates on this? Are back on U.S. soil?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom