19 spline H42 from 1982 FJ60 donor question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Many thanks in advance for any and all assistance. Recently purchased a FJ60 19 spline H42 transmission, bell housing, and split transfer case for my FJ40 (currently 3spd that is leaking oil). Here my questions:

- will a 40 shift lever work or will I need to find a 60 lever and bend it for clearance
- can i attach the f.5 rear engine mount ears to this bell housing, driver side currently has only two bolts for the mounting ear, or will I need to find a 60 trans mount or fab a mount
- any other unforeseen items

transmission input shaft has minimal wear, shaft spins freely, transfer case spins and both hi/low and 4wd engages with no effort. Price was super cheap, debating on using it or cannibalizing it for a later project.

Cheers

transmission top.jpg

Left side bell housing.jpg

right side bell housing.jpg

left side transmission.jpg

right side transmission.jpg

I think your options are an FJ40 4sp bellhousing or a crossmember under the transmission.

another option, you could drill and tap the holes for the mounts

you will lose the park brake
flanges are most likely different bolt pattern
get a 40 top plate for the trans so it sits in the correct place

thanks for the feedback. I am going to check the bolt holes versus my 3 spd bell housing rear engine mounts, might get luck and only have to drill and tap two holes. If not, I can always start looking for the cross brace. This is a bridging strategy for a 5 spd once i save up. Hopefully this split case will work with the 5 spd.

existing holes are too small, they need to be larger, the other side needs done also.
good luck finding the 3 piece crossmember for a 40/45 frame, think I sold the last 1 I had for $300+

good chance the transfer has the 5th gear oiler provision, IIRCC the 81 and 82 didn't have it, all later ones have it. you can remove the pto cover and see if the bump out is cast into the front half of the case.

Do yourself a favor and look for a 4/85-7/87 transmission with the dummy spacer on the back. Once you install and resolve all the issues a five speed will just be a matter clearance in the hump then installing it. At that time could resolve fifth gear oiler in the transfer case since it needs to come apart to change the transmission. Any split transfer case from the US does not have a hand brake. There are a aftermarket kit, OEM parts to add a hand brake and hand brake on the rear axle are all options. Clearance wise the rear axle is the easy way. Just need a custom cable.

3_puppies, ran across a thread form several years ago 81-84 bellhousing modification - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/81-84-bellhousing-modification.988289/#post-10988014 that you converted the bell housing, how has it been? any issues?
I noticed my bell housing has openings on both sides, assuming i may still keep the shift cylinder on the driver side or move to the right as it has the mount built in to the rear engine mount.
Looking for the cross member, just in case its costly or too hard to find at least i have another option to use this transmission until i can save up for a five speed.
I plan on piecing together the rear axle parking brake once i find a donor somewhere.

The motor mount that bolts to the bellhousing is what the slave cylinder bolts to so you should be fine. There was a change 4/85 in transfer shifter. The boss it bolts to on the transmission changed locations. Later is needed for the H55F five and harder to find. Aftermarket twin stick shifter is an option. The shifter has to match the transmission you use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom