180k mileage for daily driver (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have extensively researched and read many threads on 100 series land cruisers and am looking to purchase one sometime in the near future. I am looking at considering a 2003 land cruiser with good maintenance records and about 180k mileage for about $12,000. The vehicle does have the "clunk" when taking off but is otherwise in good shape. I am looking to reassure the wife that this will be a suitable daily driver with kids for the next 5 years/75,000 miles or so. It will need the timing belt done coming up and I am a pretty good diy mechanic (just finished putting camphasers/oil pump/etc. in a 2009 F-150, the timing belt can't possibly be that bad).

1) What are your guys' thoughts on the mileage/price/age?
2) What should I expect the costs to be to fix the driveline "clunk", update the suspension bushings/shocks, and anything else (starter?)

Thanks for your input.

I bought an 03 with about the same mileage a little over a year ago; have driven a Chevy 2500 for about 10 years. It was supposed to my "toy" that I could use to take the family off-road and camping and tool around a bit for a hobby. It quickly became my daily driver and the first vehicle the entire family goes to when heading out to the driveway.

After getting the truck, I had to replace leaky valve cover gaskets and the timing belt. I had my trusty local mechanic do the timing belt and I think he charged my about $600. I would also recommend immediately replacing the heater hose T's behind the engine if you don't know whether the PO already replaced them. They are cheap and easy to do yourself. I had one burst while sitting in traffic with the family trying to see Christmas lights.

I also picked up a set of BFG KO2's in 275/70 R18 (33") and have been running them on the stock suspension without any issues. Now have over 212k miles on it and have never had any problems. We've driven it allover the southeast from Florida to Texas to Tennessee to coastal Georgia and back several times. On and off-road. Even at this millage it's the most trustworthy dependable rides I've ever owned. I expect it to be my DD for many years to come.

Good luck.

All of these in green are daily drivers.

The clunk is likely the front axle splines/hubs.

I have an '03 with 165k miles and it's my DD. I bought it with 88k miles 5 years ago and have taken it out to CO for HIH7 and it was awesome. Didn't miss a beat and handled all the trails in the San Juans (including Black Bear) with KO2's and OME springs out back. It's my favorite vehicle so far and I would have no concern picking one up with 180k miles. For timing belt, get the Aisin kit with waterpump from Amazon - it's dirt cheap and works like a charm. For driveshaft clunk, lube all the driveshaft yolks that took care of mine.

Mileage is garbage, you gotta just know that going in.

Clunk is probably a few bucks of grease and time. On the high end its bushings/rear LCA's, etc.

As others have said, the clunk from a takeoff is common when the center axle shafts are not greased. Take a grease gun to them and it should cure it.

I purchased by 2003 at 165k and currently have 210k on it. Been daily driving it the entire time with no large issues.

1) What are your guys' thoughts on the mileage/price/age?

That's a fair price for that year and mileage. But like any used vehicle, there are more variables to consider. Corrosion, maintenance history, and overall condition will play a big part in its final value. If it's a rust bucket, $2,000 would be better. If it's otherwise "like new" with perfect leather, good maintenance history, and zero rust, I'd think that it would go for $15,000 or more.

2) What should I expect the costs to be to fix the driveline "clunk", update the suspension bushings/shocks, and anything else (starter?)

Bring a grease gun with you and grease the driveshafts before another test drive. There's a very good chance that that will cure it. Mine had it when I tried it out but I was familiar with the DS clunk so I didn't worry about it.

Now as far as convincing the wife that it will be a suitable DD, that's something completely different. This is a well built Toyota SUV with 3 rows of leather seats, it doesn't get much better. That being said, if she doesn't like it / want it / feels safe in it / feel that it's reliable / comfortable sitting in it / likes driving a larger SUV, it will NOT be a good DD for her. I've bought many new and used vehicles in the last 25 years and the 100 was probably the smartest vehicle purchase I've ever made. It's super comfortable, reliable, looks good, and cost well under $20k. In fact, my whole family prefers it over our 2014 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon that we bought new. It has less issues too.

We have five vehicles in the family fleet. The highest mileage is my 2006 100 with 150,000. The lowest is my wife's 2019 Acura. For the 12-hour trip we took this weekend, well... of course we took the 100.

At one point, someone in the car said "It's kind of funny... we left a 2-month old SUV in the garage and took a 13-year-old SUV with 150,000 miles... and no one mentioned it 'til now"

People get funny about mileage. My dad was shocked when I said I was taking my 180k 100 on two road trips when I had a 2018 VW to use. I had no hesitation whatsoever taking the 100. Enjoy!

People get funny about mileage. My dad was shocked when I said I was taking my 180k 100 on two road trips when I had a 2018 VW to use. I had no hesitation whatsoever taking the 100. Enjoy!
My wife said the most awkward part of talking to her parents about the new used LC was when mileage came up (her parents are Buick/Ram people).

20190712_193151.jpg

Trying it out on the road to our favorite campground.

I just bought one with 180k on it. Now has 182K on it. This is my daily Driver now too. Coming from a 2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD with only 47k miles on it. That truck has had nothing but problems. My wife was very hesitant on getting a high miles vehicle. My brother in law is Lexus mechanic and talked to her. She still has her worries. But so far, so good...lol

I was worried about taking my 99 LX with 170k on a 2k mile road trip with a few hundred miles of (admittedly light) offroad thrown in, but it never skipped a beat. Try taking a 20 year old Chevy on a trip like that.

Now the gas bill.....I don't want to talk about that part.

I paid 11k for it and it had the timing belt done, brake pads replaced, new radiator, new KO2's, and the leather was in decent shape, also had a great service history. I replaced the heater T's myself. Maybe I overpaid but I feel pretty good about her so far. It does have the D to R clunk and I'm thinking it is a bushing or hub splines since I've greased the s*** outta the drive shafts.

My wife has a 2004 bought it one year ago with 220k and now have 245k with no issues I would not hesitate to take this vehicle any where. Previous owner had all the services done at Lexus. Even with the miles it has when I change the oil at 5k intervals it is not even black yet. My Ford f-250 v-10 the oil is jet black when I change it at 3k and this truck only has 145k. So impressed with this vehicle and with the amount of knowledge on this forum.

Hey Congrats on the purchase. Hope its not rusty which is the only major thing I would keep an eye on. The clunk as others mentioned is not a biggie. The heater T's would be good to replace. U can find the metal ones on Amazon. Look them up. Should be an great DD.

BTW i bought mine at 139k 3 years ago and now have 172k on it. I did have to change a few things that were ready to go. But its not all that bad at all and its been one of the best vehicels I own. I have no problem taking my LC over my 2015 Honda Odyssey.

Same, my wifes new 2018 Volkswagen Atlas gets 30mpg on the highway our last trip. She gets annoyed I like to take the LX470 which gets maybe 18 if I am lucky on the highway..lol..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom