17 inch wheel recommendations (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi folks, I’m planning on getting new shoes and wheels for my rig
However I’m particular inclined for wheels with negative offset or less backspace.
This is what I want to do :
I want my tires to stick out about 1 to 1.25 inches without using spacers,
I know my stock wheels are at 4.5” backspace, the wheels I want are @ 17x9 on 35 Inch tire with my calculations I think 3.5-3.75 backspace will do the trick.
please let me know and correct me if I’m wrong on this measurements or if is any kind of variation that I might not be aware of
By the way my rig is a 93.
thanks

X2 on SCS. The specs you are looking at are one thing. Fitting over the fat hubs and full floater rear are another, granted the majority do.

I think it may be more if you're talking about sticking out from the flares AND not using spacers.

X3 on SCS, love mine !

Test fitted my new wheels today. They are 17x9, with -38mm offset, 3.5 BS. Tires are pretty much flush. So to stick out without spacers will be hard to find.

D44CF47A-4227-46E3-BBE4-38DA1EA617B9.jpeg

53551C8F-1647-46AA-9912-9C796E44186E.jpeg

Last edited:
my wheel sticks out about 2" from the flares, they measure 80" outside tire to outside tire. they are 17 x 8.5 with 3.25" BS
f8AY5Yv.jpg

Hi folks, I’m planning on getting new shoes and wheels for my rig
However I’m particular inclined for wheels with negative offset or less backspace.
This is what I want to do :
I want my tires to stick out about 1 to 1.25 inches without using spacers,
I know my stock wheels are at 4.5” backspace, the wheels I want are @ 17x9 on 35 Inch tire with my calculations I think 3.5-3.75 backspace will do the trick.
please let me know and correct me if I’m wrong on this measurements or if is any kind of variation that I might not be aware of
By the way my rig is a 93.
thanks

With offset remaining the same as stock you’d be looking for 3.25-3.5” bs if you are after 1-1.25” more than you currently have. If you are aiming for 1-1.25” poke past flush it would help to know flares or flares and where they currently line up

Test fitted my new wheels today. They are 17x9, with -38mm offset, 3.5 BS. Tires are pretty much flush. So to stick out without spacers will be hard to find.

View attachment 2182291

View attachment 2182294

They make 2.5” bs wheels that would achieve an inch more than yours yielded. It definitely begins to negatively affect your scrub radius as well as fitting larger tires like 37’s

X2 on SCS. The specs you are looking at are one thing. Fitting over the fat hubs and full floater rear are another, granted the majority do.
This is the part that makes me gun shy when trying to pick a set of wheels. My google-fu shows the center bore as 106mm, same as my 2nd gen Tacoma, but in test fitting some wheels off a buddy's 2nd gen Tacoma they didn't fit. :flush:

This is the part that makes me gun shy when trying to pick a set of wheels. My google-fu shows the center bore as 106mm, same as my 2nd gen Tacoma, but in test fitting some wheels off a buddy's 2nd gen Tacoma they didn't fit. :flush:
This. Sometimes you need to grind a little off the center. Also, if you choose a wheel with an integrated center cap, like these, you may not be able to use them due to the large hubs.
xd137-17x9-12-satin-blacl-dark-tint-wheels-rims-pic7.jpg

This. Sometimes you need to grind a little off the center. Also, if you choose a wheel with an integrated center cap, like these, you may not be able to use them due to the large hubs.
View attachment 2182809
Yeah, I'd prefer to not have to take a grinder to my fancy new wheels haha. Center caps aren't a huge deal to me, could definitely live without as long as the wheel actually fits. I've been looking at Methods (standard/double standard/etc) and some ATX wheels (AX 201 and 202) which seem to fit, but I can never really tell :doh:

Ok this is getting very confusing by the second, can somebody school me about this please:
if I install a 17x9.5 with 4.5 backspace and -18 offset how far from the flares will this set up put me in?
reason im asking is because im looking at this black rhino wheels with this specifications.
thanks

I just purchased a set of SCS Ray 10’s 17x9 3.5 BS so should be getting them next week sometime; can’t wait! 🤘

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom