Builds 17 200 series super charger/ build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ok I know it’s a day late, but here’s a video!

Nice! How quickly it jumps thru the revs must be fun. 50-80 didn't seem crazy faster than factory... am I just expecting too much not tuned?

Nice! How quickly it jumps thru the revs must be fun. 50-80 didn't seem crazy faster than factory... am I just expecting too much not tuned?
It’s a lot of fun, 50-80 is a lot faster than it was, remember I’m at 8k ft and running 34s, so comparing before to after for my conditions is a huge jump, but yes fine tuning would optimize performance, I have a set of injectors and a smaller pulley waiting to go on, HP should have tuning capabilities for a 17 in the next few months, or depending how things work out with edwardg and OV tune, I may choose to go that route, I’m set up for HP at my shop and very familiar with HP so I may just wait it out, but with no tuning it is an impressive jump in power!

Ok I know it’s a day late, but here’s a video!

Is it weird that I’m not impressed by the sound or acceleration? :)
At the same time, I’m used to seeing (and hearing) much louder and faster supercharged LC200s on YouTube, so I might be biased :p.

Is it weird that I’m not impressed by the sound or acceleration? :)
At the same time, I’m used to seeing (and hearing) much louder and faster supercharged LC200s on YouTube, so I might be biased :p.
Again this is at 8000ft, if you have driven at high elevation, you realize power loss is significant, so a good part of my gain is soaked up in recouping what I’ve lost because of elevation!

Also this is just touching the surface of the potential of this supercharger, it’s limited to 6.5lbs of boost, tuning will be available very soon, and for older models than 2016 is already available, for very little extra a lot more is possible! I’m guessing a lot of those videos are also overseas, they put some crazy power/ boost to these 5.7s I’m guessing they are getting into standalone systems and some major engine mods!

And I do agree it doesn’t sound loud, more noise is fun in some cases, for my wife’s mom mobile im ok with low noise power!

Can you speak to the tune cost and dyno time required for a pre 2016?

Can you speak to the tune cost and dyno time required for a pre 2016?
Don’t necessarily need a dyno to tune properly, but If your looking at wanting to jump up to the stage 2 with smaller pulley and performance injectors, I’d plan on 1000-1500 for extra parts and tuning

It’s a lot of fun, 50-80 is a lot faster than it was, remember I’m at 8k ft and running 34s, so comparing before to after for my conditions is a huge jump, but yes fine tuning would optimize performance, I have a set of injectors and a smaller pulley waiting to go on, HP should have tuning capabilities for a 17 in the next few months, or depending how things work out with edwardg and OV tune, I may choose to go that route, I’m set up for HP at my shop and very familiar with HP so I may just wait it out, but with no tuning it is an impressive jump in power!

Apologies if I missed this somewhere but what does "OV" stand for?

Well my wife just got back from a 500 mile trip through the mountains. She loved every second of it, said the power passing cars over the passes was incredible compared to before, and claims she feels the fuel Economy got better.... I’m not sure I believe that last statement but next time I take it out of town I’ll calculate the fuel economy and give an update! She claims she doesn’t think it needs any more power, might have to sneak the smaller pulley and injectors in without her knowing!

I had an LS with and without a super charger on it. 2 different engines but both LS's. The N/A one I could get 30 MPG (over 500 hp). The charged one (550 hp), the best I could manage was like 13 MPG. That always on parasitic loss is a killer. Not as familial with the 3UR, but I don't see how the fuel economy could go up.

I like the stealth upgrade idea!

I had an LS with and without a super charger on it. 2 different engines but both LS's. The N/A one I could get 30 MPG (over 500 hp). The charged one (550 hp), the best I could manage was like 13 MPG. That always on parasitic loss is a killer. Not as familial with the 3UR, but I don't see how the fuel economy could go up.

I like the stealth upgrade idea!
I agree, I’m pretty sure her math is off lol but getting more power and expecting better fuel economy would be foolIsh!

Apologies if I missed this somewhere but what does "OV" stand for?

Orange Virus. OV Tune is the name of Mat’s business tuning Tacoma’s and Tundras. Very interested if his Tundra tune translates to the Land Cruiser, even stock vs Supercharged. Had his stock tune on a 2017 Tacoma and it was an improvement.

Under normal driving, the mileage can go up because the engine easily pulls the higher gears. No need to downshift. My old 2008 Tundra with TRD TVS1900 Supercharger gained MPG during normal cruising around.

I would not go higher with boost unless you like rolling the dice. While the TVS2600 undoubtedly has substantially cooler intake temps than the TVS1900, you are close to the stock pistons and rods limits. I've seen enough of these drop a cyclinder to know... interestingly, an acquaintance just gave me a warrantied short block from his truck. Cylinder 5 piston cracked the 2nd ring land. Engine is otherwise perfect, bearings look nearly new w/ 100k.

I've been running the Harrop TVS2650 since January (sourced from @Briano) and have been very happy with it. MPG has dropped from ~12 to ~9/10 (truck is 7100+ lbs). Truck ran fine on the stock tune, but I've been working with Mat at OVTune since last summer on custom tuning. That has been quite the ongoing process. If they can get their act together, things should improve on the tuning front. They're transitioning to providing tuning software and base maps so you can tune/have it tuned yourself.

I would do it again in a second. The performance gain is noticeable and welcome, especially at elevation.

Last edited:
I've been running the Harrop TVS2650 since January (sourced from @Briano) and have been very happy with it. MPG has dropped from ~12 to ~9/10 (truck is 7100+ lbs). Truck ran fine on the stock tune, but I've been working with Mat at OVTune since last summer on custom tuning. That has been quite the ongoing process. If they can get their act together, things should improve on the tuning front. They're transitioning to providing tuning software and base maps so you can tune/have it tuned yourself.

I would do it again in a second. The performance gain is noticeable and welcome, especially at elevation.
I’ve been researching the Magnuson system as well. The 5.7 Magnuson kit states that it utilizes the Eaton TVS 1900. And according to Eaton 2650 is 40 percent larger than the TVS 1900. Seems like a big difference.

@Briano your inbox is full so I cannot PM you. What’s the newest model you have installed on?

just cleared space in my inbox, I apologize.... I have done 2 2019 tundras, newest 200 ia your old 2017, would not be any issue installing on your new one, Just started talking with ov tune, I may be doing stage 2 on one of those 2019 tundras, still in the research phase, don’t want to run into issues!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom