165 Amp Alternator on Ebay for 80 Series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looks like a lot less work & money than doing the other HO alt. people have swapped in. When you wear it out though you better have kept the reciept so you know where to buy another.

Do these style alts wear out any faster than the standard output? Not based on build quality, just the fact you are putting out more amps.

I know there are windings, but that's where my knowledge of alts stops.

I'm curious what the output is versus RPM. IIRC, many modded alternators gain output at high rpm and lose output at low rpm. Might want to ask the seller. Let me know what you come up with, I need more output too!

I know a few years ago, someone tested a Mean Green HO alt, and it was the same as a stock alternator, so I can certainly understand the skepticism.

Even if it managed to put out what it claims it does, I doubt it'll last very long. Both my OEM alts have 150k on them and 13/14 years. Wouldn't surprise me if you only got a couple years out of this one, at which point you'd be kicking yourself for not installing the Sequoia bracket.

why would it be hogwash. any alternator shop can do that for you.

They did mine for $100.00 and went up from 90 to 120 amps... Did I mentioned lifetime warranty?:cheers:

They did mine for $100.00 and went up from 90 to 120 amps... Did I mentioned lifetime warranty?:cheers:

But alternators don't last a lifetime. How can they do that???

But alternators don't last a lifetime. How can they do that???

Ever bought an alternator at Pep Boys or Autozone? They come with "lifetime" warranty. I know not the best ones but they get replaced free if they fail. On mine all I have to do is remove it, take it to the shop and if they don't have one available, they rebuild the same one, that's what they did on mine. It was a crappy Bosch 90 amp, and when it was rebuilt, they put a heavier gauge stator and some other parts which I don' recall, tested it and I came home with a 120 amp alternator with "lifetime" of the alternator warranty.:steer:

I know, I just had to replace my "lifetime" World Class Alternator from Advance Auto in my Jetta. The first one lasted about 5,000 miles. The second one (which under the limited lifetime warranty is only warranted for 90 days) didn't last a day. Bought a good Bosch reman from Germany now and it works great. So... I'm not a big fan of lifetime warranties.

Jose', do you have any idea of the output versus RPM, or did you just trust the 120A spec?

I know, I just had to replace my "lifetime" World Class Alternator from Advance Auto in my Jetta. The first one lasted about 5,000 miles. The second one (which under the limited lifetime warranty is only warranted for 90 days) didn't last a day. Bought a good Bosch reman from Germany now and it works great. So... I'm not a big fan of lifetime warranties.

Jose', do you have any idea of the output versus RPM, or did you just trust the 120A spec?
Have no idea, I just saw the thing that they use for testing that have a gauge, rpms; no idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom