16271-66060 Gasket, Water Pump Twilight Zone time (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lp2k

Had a couple of drinks.. saw a couple of things
Threads
Well, now I have y’all’s attention here goes. I’m here working on the endurance, re-doing all kinds of crap for cooling and sure enough, I have arrived at the water pump and the clutch. Amazon has some sweet deals on this and might as well while I’m in there right? So I order the first pump which is advertised with pump, gasket and 4 screws for the clutch. Awesome! It arrives all banged up in an Amazon bag with no padding. I hold my breath and yep, its destroyed. So I order another and pray it arrives in a box. It does, but the packers at AISIN, put the pump which has considerable weight and sharp edges ON TOP of the gasket. No foam, packing peanuts, nothing. Of course, this gasket has a noticeable ding it. The other has some as well. I call my local Toyota parts guy and he orders one from the warehouse, but it hasn’t shown up. Jacksonville has a back order and it doesn’t give any definitive dates. I told the boss i would have this rig cooling system completely overhauled bfore 7/4 but its proballly not going to happen and I hate to disappoint. I have # options and need some mud advice on the best way to go, even if it means holding out.

Photos of the gaskets in question are attached. I always trust Toyota gaskets so I rather wait than rush.

Here goes:
  1. Use the gasket to the left
  2. Use the gasket to the right
  3. Wait for Toyota to show up with the correct gasket and charge on.

CE8555F6-63A5-4770-AE4B-2FF54398634D.jpeg

CA16E84F-7E41-443E-A907-A55159031677.jpeg

6F9338B6-3471-4280-A2C4-13C67D25C8DD.jpeg

565F8EF8-D030-49D6-9EFD-E85128785CED.jpeg

I’m inclined to use the one on the right. If it doesn’t matter I’ll charge on. I’d hate to assemble this only to have it leak and tear it all apart.

Ding on the ridge isn’t a big deal. It gets crushed anyway once you tighten up the bolts.
I guess that's the part that I WOULD freak out about. That's the final seal edge where it crushes, so if there's a ding there, I would be concerned that it would weep through that gouge.

I would wait for one from Toyota because that's a lot of work to get back to it again.

I've done my time of trying to use stuff that's screwed up and I won't do it anymore if I can avoid it.

Saying that, I just had to put together a front axle with used bearings and known leaking issues and inferior bearings because I had to drive it.

I will be ordering a complete kit, just so I can tear it all apart again in about 2000 miles.

I guess that's the part that I WOULD freak out about. That's the final seal edge where it crushes, so if there's a ding there, I would be concerned that it would weep through that gouge.

I would wait for one from Toyota because that's a lot of work to get back to it again.

I've done my time of trying to use stuff that's screwed up and I won't do it anymore if I can avoid it.

Saying that, I just had to put together a front axle with used bearings and known leaking issues and inferior bearings because I had to drive it.

I will be ordering a complete kit, just so I can tear it all apart again in about 2000 miles.
Water pump on the 1FZ is a simple affair. If it leaks then it’s not a huge deal to replace. It comes down to time. If you have the time to wait then wait. If you don’t then make sure a perfect gasket is hanging on your garage wall in anticipation of the dinged gasket from leaking. My 2¢

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom