16271-66060 Gasket, Water Pump Twilight Zone time

Visit site
Well, now I have y’all’s attention here goes. I’m here working on the endurance, re-doing all kinds of crap for cooling and sure enough, I have arrived at the water pump and the clutch. Amazon has some sweet deals on this and might as well while I’m in there right? So I order the first pump which is advertised with pump, gasket and 4 screws for the clutch. Awesome! It arrives all banged up in an Amazon bag with no padding. I hold my breath and yep, its destroyed. So I order another and pray it arrives in a box. It does, but the packers at AISIN, put the pump which has considerable weight and sharp edges ON TOP of the gasket. No foam, packing peanuts, nothing. Of course, this gasket has a noticeable ding it. The other has some as well. I call my local Toyota parts guy and he orders one from the warehouse, but it hasn’t shown up. Jacksonville has a back order and it doesn’t give any definitive dates. I told the boss i would have this rig cooling system completely overhauled bfore 7/4 but its proballly not going to happen and I hate to disappoint. I have # options and need some mud advice on the best way to go, even if it means holding out.

Photos of the gaskets in question are attached. I always trust Toyota gaskets so I rather wait than rush.

Here goes:
  1. Use the gasket to the left
  2. Use the gasket to the right
  3. Wait for Toyota to show up with the correct gasket and charge on.

CE8555F6-63A5-4770-AE4B-2FF54398634D.jpeg

CA16E84F-7E41-443E-A907-A55159031677.jpeg

6F9338B6-3471-4280-A2C4-13C67D25C8DD.jpeg

565F8EF8-D030-49D6-9EFD-E85128785CED.jpeg

Visit site
Ding on the ridge isn’t a big deal. It gets crushed anyway once you tighten up the bolts.
I guess that's the part that I WOULD freak out about. That's the final seal edge where it crushes, so if there's a ding there, I would be concerned that it would weep through that gouge.

I would wait for one from Toyota because that's a lot of work to get back to it again.

I've done my time of trying to use stuff that's screwed up and I won't do it anymore if I can avoid it.

Saying that, I just had to put together a front axle with used bearings and known leaking issues and inferior bearings because I had to drive it.

I will be ordering a complete kit, just so I can tear it all apart again in about 2000 miles.

NLXTACY

Wits' End
Supporting Vendor
Website
absolute-wits-end.com
I guess that's the part that I WOULD freak out about. That's the final seal edge where it crushes, so if there's a ding there, I would be concerned that it would weep through that gouge.

I would wait for one from Toyota because that's a lot of work to get back to it again.

I've done my time of trying to use stuff that's screwed up and I won't do it anymore if I can avoid it.

Saying that, I just had to put together a front axle with used bearings and known leaking issues and inferior bearings because I had to drive it.

I will be ordering a complete kit, just so I can tear it all apart again in about 2000 miles.
Water pump on the 1FZ is a simple affair. If it leaks then it’s not a huge deal to replace. It comes down to time. If you have the time to wait then wait. If you don’t then make sure a perfect gasket is hanging on your garage wall in anticipation of the dinged gasket from leaking. My 2¢

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom