1626166040 bypass hose - Anyone have any experience with putting on this hose? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Lancruza

It's time to get busy livin.
Threads
This hose has started leaking on my 97. The hose is swollen and cracked on the lower end where it attaches to the block. How do you get to the upper end that is under the intake?

Toyota part# is 1626166040 bypass hose

FJ80 bypass hose.png

s-l400.jpg

If you climb up into the engine bay, you should be able to see it/reach it where it connects near where the throttle body and upper intake plenum meet (near the back, down low on the throttle body).

I had that hose fail (down near the block) while on a cross country road trip, towing a cargo trailer. What a pain! A very nice man stopped and helped me get the hose off while we were stuck in an autoparts store parking lot. He had some great tools with him and ended up getting the hose off with a long handled, curved pair of pliers. I recall that dealing with the block-side connection was much more difficult than the top. We replaced it with a longer piece of heater hose and regular hose clamps which worked fine. I have since had the intake plenum off and replaced all of the heater hoses (with OEM). I would use the Toyota fitted hose here since it snakes through the intake plenum. It is still available from Toyota and also included in the Wit's end little hose kit.

Last edited:
For the bottom side, if your not a large man, you can crank the wheels all the way right. Pull off the splash guard by starter and get it that way. I did anyways.

Thanks for all the help. I took the hood off in order to get in the engine bay. I was able to pry off the hose with a screwdriver and long curved pliers. I ordered the hose from my local dealer. $16. The fun part will be getting the clamp back on the top connection.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help. I took the hood off in order to get in the engine bay. I was able to pry off the hose with a screwdriver. I oredered the hose from my local dealer. $16. The fun part will be getting the clamp back on the top connection.
The Toyota hoses have a white stripe on each end. That is where the grabby part of the finger clamp goes. Install the clamp with the grabby part there BEFORE you install then hose, then spit in the hose (or get out the KY) and push the hose on the fitting until it bottoms out. Makes it damn easy.

Just did this over the weekend. Million times easier with the TB off but still a PITA. I did the PPH while I was there. Took the wheel and curtains off as well.

In doing all of my hoses, I got pretty experienced with those spring clamps! I would use either standard pair of needle nose pliers OR if I needed to move my hands, I found that smaller, needle nose vice grips were very useful for holding the spring clamp open and leaving me more free to maneuver my hands.

I got this done today. Thanks everyone for their input. Thanks aclos3 for the suggestion of the long handle pliers. This was the perfect tool for this job. The pliers allowed me to remove the old hose and install the new one under the intake, without removing the throttle body. I replaced the OEM spring clamps with stainless hose clamps. I used a 1/4" socket and ratchet to tighten the hose on the side of the block and I used a long handled 1/4" driver with an extension to tighten the clamp under the intake. I removed the hood in order to stand in the engine bay to reach the top hose connection. I removed the drivers side front wheel so I could get to the hose connection on the block. She's all done and ready for another 280,000 miles. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom