16" wheel specs for 35x12.5 on KZJ78 with 4" lift??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys I'm about to put a Dobinsons 4" kit and Nitto 35x12.5" Trail Grapplers on my KZJ78. I'm having trouble figuring out what wheel specs I need to minimize trimming keep from having to run spacers. I'm ok with things sitting a tad outside the flares, and I prefer a wider track. The main thing though is what will cause me less of a headache?

Thanks for the link. How interchangeable are wheels from a KZJ78 to an FJ80? It's pretty easy to find massive amounts of info on them, and would make this process so much simpler.

I've got a 2" or so OME lift (Dobinson is way better BTW, good choice) and have run 35"x12.5"R15 wheels. I think the rim width and offset is the same as the rims you are looking at. I was surprised that they worked really well actually. The only problem I had is the scrub radius on the front tires. At full turn the tread rubbed a bit on the area where the mudflap attaches to the vehicle. Not sure if a larger lift would fix this, or if the axle needs to be moved forward a bit. It was a pretty minor interference, but still a little annoying. They were my friends wheels from an HDJ81, but I decided I'd only run 34" maximum at a 12.5" wide tire. Or run a narrower 35" tire.

A few pictures of them from a recent club event to give you an idea of how they look. They were awesome to wheel on for sure.

ywC96go.jpg

imag0868-jpg.1217550

imag0847-jpg.1217546

imag0787-jpg.1217536

imag0757-jpg.1217533

sam_0044-jpg.1217158

022-jpg.1216860

sam_0002-jpg.1217149

Thanks for the link. How interchangeable are wheels from a KZJ78 to an FJ80? It's pretty easy to find massive amounts of info on them, and would make this process so much simpler.

Did you end up getting rims from an FJ80? I'm looking to get some winter rims and tires right now and all this offset, borehole and backspacing stuff hurts my head. Would be a lot easier if I could just get a set sized for the 80 series and bolt it on.

Did you end up getting rims from an FJ80? I'm looking to get some winter rims and tires right now and all this offset, borehole and backspacing stuff hurts my head. Would be a lot easier if I could just get a set sized for the 80 series and bolt it on.

80 series wheels are 16"x8" zero offset. The stock early Prado wheels are 16"x6" zero offset. I think yours are a 15"x7" though as you have the KZJ78. Anyhow, bore hole and bolt pattern are all the same AFAIK. So in theory the 80 series wheels should work just fine. Just don't put 35" tires on and you'll be fine. Maybe look at a 255/85R16 or similar.

FZJ80 16x8 wheels have 4.5 inches of backspace. I run them with 1.5 inch Spidertrax spacers and 285/75/16 BFG KM2s. The wheels prior to these had 3 5/8 backspace and the inner rear sidewalls would brush the inner fenderwells. Now they don't. The current setup barely clears all the way around with OME suspension. Any bigger tire or any wider wheel will hit something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom