16" vs 17" wheels (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just realized after reinstalling stock steering system that the rims are rubbing the Tie rod ends. I need to buy new rims (not going to bother with a spacer as the rims are beat up anyway) So if I was to go with a 17" rim would that eliminate all the malarky with backspace and offset? Apparently 3.6 backspace works most of the time on 16s except when it doesn't. haha. Its quite a little riddle and i dont want to order rims online and have them not fit. Any advice or input in the rim department? I plan on mostly driving on the road except camping and exploring when i can. I dont like really wide tires and I plan on having a 32" diameter.

What size/type wheels do you currently have? Were they not rubbing before you did the work?

As far as new 16” not wide wheels, it’s hard to go wrong with the OEM 16” steelies. Well documented here.

What size/type wheels do you currently have? Were they not rubbing before you did the work?

As far as new 16” not wide wheels, it’s hard to go wrong with the OEM 16” steelies. Well documented here.
i have 16" rims. They werent rubbing before but i took off the high steering kit the po installed, so the new tie rods were hitting the inside of the rim.

The thread below has several examples of wheels that will fit-

Tons of info in that thread and many accurate "bottom lines." Don't get too excited when you see a cool wheel from a few years ago...several of them are NLA. Jump to the end and work backwards.

You still have to be conscious of offset, but the 17" wheel eliminates the main clearance issue with the 15" and some 16" wheels.

So do you guys know about the backspace required for 17" rims? the threads on here dont have much info on 17" rims.

So do you guys know about the backspace required for 17" rims? the threads on here dont have much info on 17" rims.

Whatever rim you find or size you decide to pick shoot for a 3.6-4.3 back spacing and all issues will be resolved

Whatever rim you find or size you decide to pick shoot for a 3.6-4.3 back spacing and all issues will be resolved
For a 17” rim? I so far as I can tell the tie rods can be cleared and then the calliper becomes the problem.

For further help, the 3.5ish backspacing is for 8" width wheels and 4ish backspacing is for 9" width. It's just to keep the tires flush with the body.

I’m running 17” x 9” wheels with 3.5” BS and they clear the TRE by a whisker. No longer available but here’s the specs:

I’m running 17” x 9” wheels with 3.5” BS and they clear the TRE by a whisker. No longer available but here’s the specs:
Thanks man. Yeah I couldn’t find them. I just said screw it and got the fj40 stock rims from the dealer. I like running 10.5 tires so I’m all good and they look sweet!

@FJ60Seth , your 17s are close to the TRE? What steering arms are you running? I'm running the same wheels and have a mile of room at the TREs. The calipers though...they're close but clear.

Have at it hoss

17” isn’t a magic solution for clearing the tie rods— it helps but the offset and profile on the back of the rim is still important.

Imho the best options (both 16 and 17) that don’t require spacers are the SCS F5, Level 8 Tracker, FN Wheels, the Toyota TRD wheels from a 4Runner, or the Toyota 70 series steel wheels.

I went with the TRD wheels and love them. They
tuck in the fender nicely. Also, 17s provide a much better selection of tires if you don’t want a super stiff E rated tire.

Stock wheels with BFGs is a solid option too.

Have at it hoss

17” isn’t a magic solution for clearing the tie rods— it helps but the offset and profile on the back of the rim is still important.

Imho the best options (both 16 and 17) that don’t require spacers are the SCS F5, Level 8 Tracker, FN Wheels, the Toyota TRD wheels from a 4Runner, or the Toyota 70 series steel wheels.

I went with the TRD wheels and love them. They
tuck in the fender nicely. Also, 17s provide a much better selection of tires if you don’t want a super stiff E rated tire.

Stock wheels with BFGs is a solid option too.
Yeah buddy! I ordered the rims directly from my local Toyota dealer. 4 rims cost $400 delivered to my door! And they look sweet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom