16" to 18" Wheels, Issues? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Are there any issues with going from 16" wheels to 18" wheels on a 2000 LC?

Nope

It also depends on the size of the tire.

If you go anything less than a 315 then there are no issues - you go to a 35x12.50x18 then you will need an adapter. Slee sells the adapter and Hoser on this list has 35x12.50x18 Toyo Muds on his truck.

The 18s would be factory rims. Thanks to everyone for their inputs.

How big can the tires be on a stock FJ100?

I'm curious to know how big of a tire you can fit on a stock 100? Anybody have the answer for the original 16" rims? -thanks.sh

295/75-16

Thanks for the tips

I'm throwing some 295R16s on 'er then, and getting set up with my ARBBullBar and some IPF lights in about a week. Then it's fun for the Spring. -Cheers.

sejinro said:
I'll be buying tires soon as well, but I'm curious, what are there benefits going up to an 18" wheel?

johnroyale said:
I'll be buying tires soon as well, but I'm curious, what are there benefits going up to an 18" wheel?

None...well, that I see anyway ! ;p

Bling! Well, you could also fit that 14" big brake kit :grinpimp:

Anyone KNOW what the weight difference on a 16 vs 18 inch wheel is? What I am ultimately getting at is, do you save some weight going to a 285 or 295 with a 18" wheel as opposed to a 16" wheel, because of less tire weight? Or does the extra metal on the wheel offset any less rubber?

Also, I assume the ride might be a little more 'harsh' on a 18" wheel than a 16" wheel, given the same tire?

-Mike

Two alloy wheel combos both with the same tire diameter and width, the 16" wheel will weigh less than the 18" wheel combo. I don't have the exact weight but I think it's more than a 6lb difference (wheels alone). However, IIRC, the OEM 16" steel wheels weigh close to if not more than the 18" alloy.

BFG AT/KO
285/75-16 55lbs
285/65-18 54lbs

hoser said:
Bling! Well, you could also fit that 14" big brake kit :grinpimp:
18s do look good but larger brakes are even more appealing.:D

edit:grammar

Last edited:
Two alloy wheel combos both with the same tire diameter and width, the 16" wheel will weigh less than the 18" wheel combo. I don't have the exact weight but I think it's more than a 6lb difference (wheels alone). However, IIRC, the OEM 16" steel wheels weigh close to if not more than the 18" alloy.

BFG AT/KO
285/75-16 55lbs
285/65-18 54lbs

I searched and searched but couldn't find the actual weight of the wheel alone. I have 18's- Anybody know? Thanks

my truck isnt a 100, but similar weight, and size, and ive just gone to 35 x 12.5/18" pro comp 3 ply muds on 18 x 9" Pro Comp rims, down from 37 x 12.5 /17 pro comp mud 3 plys on 17 x 8 beadlocked robby gordon wheels.

Ride is firmer, turn in is better, tyres dont protest until they are actualy sliding now, compared tot he 37"s which protested when pushed hard before letting go.

I had 4.88 diffs with the 37's and have gone to 4.625 with the 35's after having the 4.625's with the 37's which made EGt's rise 50% and fuel consumption go up 5 lt per 100km, I decided for this years Ultimate Expedition trip which will be 12000km odd in 5 weeks, smaller will be better for this one.

Will look at what to run next when i get back in July.

and more expensive tires too, I think

if you've got 16's, why change? very few tire choices for the 18. PRICEY.

if you get 18's, live in LA area and want a deal on some OEM michelin LTX's with around 2500 miles..... PM me...

jp

I bet the acceleration and braking performance will be slightly degraded. Reason is, the '03+ 100's got different front calipers and pads than the 98-02's to compensate for the additional rotational mass of the 18's. The '03's also got the 5spd transmission, which has a much lower first gear to get those wheels turning quicker off the line.

As far as what's different w/ the front brakes, I believe the pistons are larger (what appears to be a size spec in LC mag shows it increasing). The pads are different, but I don't know if it's the material or shape due to the different pistons. I believe the front pads wear faster than rear pads, which is not the case for the 98-02 100's.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom